Will Planetside 2 be playable with a gamepad / xbox 360 controller? - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Watch your step
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-11, 08:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #91
Ramladu
Private

Re: Will Planetside 2 be playable with a gamepad / xbox 360 controller?

Originally Posted by The Kush View Post
That is true.

All the PC elitist claim a mouse and keyboard is more precise and gives you an advantage, let's see the data.

Oh thats right, you can only post a couple bull shit articles that some elitist wrote.

Each controller setup has its advantages, whether you choose a gamepad or mouse/keyboard.

Btw Xbox 360 controllers do have an option for a mini keyboard to be plugged in.
http://www.techspot.com/news/39738-m...le-gamers.html
Old 2012-07-11, 09:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #92
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

LOL Poor, poor X-boxers
Old 2012-07-11, 10:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #93
Luieburger
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sephirex View Post
Originally Posted by KTNApollo View Post
Will it be? Maybe.

Should it be? Yes.

Should you? No.
QFT. I think we're done here.
Double QFT.

Will controllers be supported? Maybe.

Should they be? Yes so the controller players can get crushed and learn the truth, or be too dumb to realize they are getting crushed and pad my kill counts. I'm all for freedom of choice.

Should you use a controller? No, but we won't stop you.

Yea we are definitely done here. At least I am.

Last edited by Luieburger; 2012-07-11 at 10:17 PM.
Old 2012-07-12, 01:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #94
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Just don't plan keybindings around controller use... we need more available hotkeys and voice macros than you could ever fit on a controller.

No, I shall stand! Sitting is for the weak and feeble.
Old 2012-07-12, 02:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #95
Mr DeCastellac
First Sergeant

You can get a good mouse for $5-10, might as well go pick one up. Controllers are such a huge disadvantage in shooters, which is why most stay away from cross-platforming.
Old 2012-07-12, 05:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #96
Espion
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Luieburger View Post
Apparently Dust 514 will have both M&K and controller support on the PS3. It will be interesting to see what they do. Will they nerf the keyboard and mouse like Microsoft did for Shadowrun? Will the gameplay be so non-twitch that it won't matter?

Only time will tell.

http://www.dust514base.com/2012/02/w...ontroller.html
non-twitch (requiring tracking) is ridiculously harder on a controller compared to a mouse/kb, twitch is the only thing that makes console shooters popular, and why all console shooters have very low TTKs.
Old 2012-07-12, 05:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #97
Noxey
Private

Playing shooters with a game pad is just like playing them with a mouse & keyboard mortal drunk..
Old 2012-07-12, 06:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #98
Maarvy
Master Sergeant

This game better have controler support .

I just blew the dust from my old force feedback stick for some serious flying action.

Im all for gamepad support , I wouldn't use one but i dont get the argument tbh .

Who cares what control scheme another player use's ? , get over it already

Last edited by Maarvy; 2012-07-12 at 06:10 AM.
Old 2012-07-12, 07:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #99
Aldaris
Private

Originally Posted by Espion View Post
non-twitch (requiring tracking) is ridiculously harder on a controller compared to a mouse/kb, twitch is the only thing that makes console shooters popular, and why all console shooters have very low TTKs.
I think you've got that slightly backwards to me. The stick of the pad allows you to turn your view at a constant speed. This means you can track something with no twitch or variation. A target moving at speed can be tracked at the same speed easily enough, whereas a mouse would require your own hand to move at a constant speed. Given variations in muscle control and the fact your mouse can only move so far before you run out of speed, tracking is slightly harder.

What they can't do is twitch aim very well. No matter what sensitivity you turn a pad to, the maximum you can turn your view is always limited by space you can move the stick to, whereas a mouse has infinite accleration to turn your view. With a flick of my wrist a mouse controlled character will always twitch in a given direction faster than a joypad.
Old 2012-07-12, 08:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #100
Dairian
Sergeant

Playing with a controller is like a man in a wheel chair playing basketball against an NBA star. Stick to a mouse...
Old 2012-07-12, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #101
JesNC
Master Sergeant

The only arguments I've seen in here for a controller over M&KB are ergonomics and personal preference.

A keyboard IS in fact a controller, it's just not as ergonomic and requires some thought to set up.

Keyboards not being able to process multiple keys at once? Did you get yours off Walmart for 2€ or what?

I don't have any problem with people using controllers at all. Totally fine by me. I do have a problem with being called an elitist jerk with a biased opinion, just because I prefer one input method over the other.
Old 2012-09-11, 07:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #102
MacHarborGuy
Private

Originally Posted by Aldaris View Post
I think you've got that slightly backwards to me. The stick of the pad allows you to turn your view at a constant speed. This means you can track something with no twitch or variation. A target moving at speed can be tracked at the same speed easily enough, whereas a mouse would require your own hand to move at a constant speed. Given variations in muscle control and the fact your mouse can only move so far before you run out of speed, tracking is slightly harder.

What they can't do is twitch aim very well. No matter what sensitivity you turn a pad to, the maximum you can turn your view is always limited by space you can move the stick to, whereas a mouse has infinite accleration to turn your view. With a flick of my wrist a mouse controlled character will always twitch in a given direction faster than a joypad.

For me, when I am in Infantry "mode" I would go Mouse and Keyboard all the way (I use one of those 1-handed keyboards, and have configured it so all of the required buttons are close by). However, cannons, AA turrets, and vehicles have such a different feel when using a mouse compared to on-foot, and even with adjusted settings I still feel like I run out of mouse-pad surface before I can make proper turns, add to that I just cannot stand driving tanks or aircraft with mouse and keyboard in ANY game. This is where a game-pad would come in most handy for me.
Old 2012-09-11, 07:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #103
Sunrock
Major

Yes it would work in this game as good as in any Xbox 360 game.

However right now the joystick sensitivity slider does not work at all.
Old 2012-09-11, 08:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #104
MacHarborGuy
Private

Also, i dont get the whole "I hope this game doesnt support gamepads" point of view. If game pads do gimp a player in the on-ground, infantry method of play as many have suggested already, wouldnt that mean that the gamepad players would be XP fodder for mouse and keyboard players? Honestly, i see nothing wrong with WANTING more lambs for the slaughter.

However, I do side with the idea that for non-Infantry combat (tanks, turrets, aircraft), gamepads would be a great help, much like how flight sticks could be a big help as well. I have even read that Razer is making a special controller specifically for MechWarrior Online.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/05/r...warrior-onlin/

I guess I am just one of those people in the middle of the two sides. Mouse & Keyboard for the on-foot FPS gameplay, and gamepad for vehicles and stationary turrets. This is the reason I play games like Need for Speed World, or the driving sections of Saints Row The Third, on my PC with a gamepad. It just feels better to control that way.

If M+K players have an advantage over gamepad players with on-ground combat, I have a feeling that gamepad players would have an advantage over M+K players with vehicles/turrets.

Last edited by MacHarborGuy; 2012-09-11 at 08:38 PM.
Old 2012-09-12, 06:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #105
Frotang
Staff Sergeant

Ive been using my 360 controler perfectly fine for weeks now. Do not waste your time using in game joystick support, just download a free 3rd party mapping software such as xpadder and your good to go. I have different mappings for Air, Ground, and infantry. Sometimes its nice to switch video over to my tv so i can relax on my couch and play casually, works great foe vehicles and MAXs, i dont bother with infantry when im on controller though.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion