How much does Planetside 2 really cost you? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: More fun than chewing broken glass!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-19, 11:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Bartimaeuse
Private

Re: How much does Planetside 2 really cost you?

Originally Posted by Accuser View Post
Last I heard it's not going to run at max settings on today's rigs. I got the impression that it'll be a few years until even top-end systems catch up to Forgelight's max.
I am aware that is what they said, however i Really, Really want to prove them wrong (Hence i might be getting a second 6990 or upgrading to 4 7970s/680s depending)
Old 2012-07-19, 11:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Dagron
Captain

Usually if you want your rig to keep up with modern games, you need to upgrade it at least every 5 years, maybe more often than that... and that's if you don't make a point of playing every game at ultra settings.

Personally i'll wait for PS2 to come out to buy a new rig, and then i'll keep it until they upgrade their graphics engine or until i can't play new games anymore. But that's just a coincidence that my PC is roughly old enough so i was going to upgrade it sometime around this year anyway.

Edit: my point is, we're always going to try and keep up with the gaming industry. So if you buy a new rig because of a specific game, that doesn't mean this particular game made you spend any more cash than the ammount you would've already spent sometime soon anyway.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-07-20 at 07:33 AM.
Old 2012-07-19, 11:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Dropped a few bucks on station cash but the rig was built up for BF3 so nothing more to spend on it for now.
Maybe a joystick.
Old 2012-07-19, 11:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
AThreatToYou
Major

Originally Posted by Bartimaeuse View Post
I am aware that is what they said, however i Really, Really want to prove them wrong (Hence i might be getting a second 6990 or upgrading to 4 7970s/680s depending)
Do it.
Old 2012-07-19, 11:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Shadowrath
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

I bought 5000 SC and haven't spent any on my rig yet but am looking into a new monitor.

| cyberneticpunks.com - Hostile Takeovers - Liquidation - No Survivors
| Join the new face of the old guard.
Old 2012-07-20, 12:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Salryc
Private

I admit it, I'm currently shopping for upgrades. Approximate cost - $900 for the first round.

That's with the caveat that I use the same computer for a portion of my job. Processing photos and videos, well, i just happen to need some serious graphics and processing abilities.... right? Tax deduction.... right? Oh, PS2 beta will open up soon? Really? Who knew! What a strange coincidence.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
Old 2012-07-20, 12:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Salryc View Post
I admit it, I'm currently shopping for upgrades. Approximate cost - $900 for the first round.

That's with the caveat that I use the same computer for a portion of my job. Processing photos and videos, well, i just happen to need some serious graphics and processing abilities.... right? Tax deduction.... right? Oh, PS2 beta will open up soon? Really? Who knew! What a strange coincidence.

I've rigged my Nostromo gamepad so that it is a text editing tool (macros of commonly used text strings and grammatical/editing keystrokes) but I don't have the balls to write it off as a business expense hah If I were less afraid of an audit I might...
Old 2012-07-20, 01:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by Salryc View Post

Clearly a business expense. Tax writeoff....right?
Old 2012-07-20, 01:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Gin
Private

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
Your specs will run bf3 on medium, you can run this game on at LEAST low if not medium if optimized right.
I don't think so mate. The Athlon FX-57 is a single core 2.8Ghz CPU. I do believe you need a minimum dual-core processor to play BF3 (Core 2 Duo or Athlon X2). I think my processor would explode trying to load the first level of BF3. As a comparison... my FPS drop down below 40 in Planetside 1 when 10+ people are on the screen or in the same area.

I imagine the same will be true with Planetside 2.
Old 2012-07-20, 01:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Symmenix
Sergeant

It will cost me 1100 soon when I build a new rig.
Old 2012-07-20, 01:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
sumo
Corporal

when i bought my comp 2 years ago it was top of the line, and still run any game a want it to run.

Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (4 CPUs)
GTX 285
8gb ram

it should be able to run PS2, but i might buy a GTX 685 anyway.
Old 2012-07-20, 01:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Shogun
Contributor
General

i bought my gaming laptop 2 years ago, so i didn´t buy a lot of stuff new yet.

the beta will show if i have to upgrade to a new desktop gaming rig.

oh but i bought a logitech g13 months ago when it was on sale specifically for ps2
(50 bucks for that plus about 30 bucks for station cash so far)

if my laptop sucks at ps2, i guess i will have to spend at least 1-2 thousands on a nifty high end system. at least 16 gb ram, one or two of the latest nvidia cards and i5 or i7 cpu.i think this will be my last rig specifically for gaming, so it should be capable of handling possible future updates of planetside 2 (only game that is worth upgrading a rig for)

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-07-20, 01:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
SirDart
Private

So far...

Intel i5 2500K - $179
Gigabyte Z77 MoBo - $119
8 GByte DDR3 RAM - $39
240GByte SSD Drive - $169
Station Cash - $20

older stuff is still being reused, such as 8800 GT, Power Supply, Case, Gaming Mouse & Keyboard, and Monitor

Will likely spend between $200 & $300 on a new Video Card once I see how things perform.
Old 2012-07-20, 01:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
EveningTide
Private

So far...alot. Completely rebuilt my rig, went from a core 2 duo 4 gigs of ram and a Radeon 6770 to an i7 2700k 3.50GHz, 16 gigs of Ram and an Nvidia GTX 680.
Old 2012-07-20, 01:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Coreldan
Colonel

Planning on putting 250€ to get a new GPU so that I can run PS2 better and also record gameplay while at it. (From HD5770 to HD7850)

I have put 20€ into Station Cash on a triple SC day (Will play on EU though, so hope it converts well into Pro7$)

Apart from that, when I play a F2P game I really like and plan to play for long, I try to budget ~13€/month for the game, as I would with any sub based game. Sometimes if I make bigger purchases (like in APB where the things I usually buy are like 40€), I just wont use any money for several months then so that it pretty much equals out to that 13€/month-plan.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion