X-Com: Enemy Unknown - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hey, this isn't a joint, it's a frozen french fry!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Old 2012-07-12, 04:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Rabaan
Corporal

X-Com: Enemy Unknown

Is there anyone else waiting [impatiently] for this game to come out? it's set for october but idk if i can hold out that long for it, lol

Last edited by Rabaan; 2012-07-12 at 04:42 AM.
Old 2012-07-12, 05:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Timey
Staff Sergeant

Re: X-Com: Enemy Unknown

Not eagerly, but I will probably buy it when it's on sale :]

God I wish they'd make a sequel / remake of x-com 3.. that game was/is great. I've played it too many hours, no challenge in it anymore

Also, the first x-com was pretty easy too once you got the hang of it even on superhuman (I'm aware of the superhuman --> beginner bug too).. The second one, though, was like super hard before you got the blaster launchers & mind control, heh.

Last edited by Timey; 2012-07-12 at 06:17 AM.
Old 2012-07-12, 07:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

A lot more than I'm waiting for XCOM, the FPS version.
It's going to be interesting to see how they end up reimagining the original.
There's also an indie game, called Xenonauts, in development atm; which is going to stay a wee bit more close to the original.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2012-07-12, 10:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Roidster
Staff Sergeant

always watched my buddy play it back in the day on the playstation,,this i will pick up and try
Old 2012-07-12, 11:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Seriously worried about some of the changes such as smaller squads (I must be an XCOM bittervet! lol ), but I'm pretty excited regardless. Should be a lot of fun, even if I'll still probably be breaking out the original just as often as ever.
Old 2012-07-16, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
JesNC
Master Sergeant

Just gonna throw this in here, maybe it'll make your wait for the new XCOM more bearable:

UFO: Alien Invasion
Old 2012-07-16, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

XCOM the FPS looks like shit and they've delayed it till 2013 from what I've heard because everyone thinks it looks like shit and has the X-Com tag pointlessly tagged on.

X-Com: Enemy Unknown looks great. People who never played the first X-Com I can understand them not caring about this remake. X-Com was the first game I ever bought for my PC, and it has a special place in my heart. That said, the changes sound great. Smaller squads where each soldier can do a lot more than just move or fire or whatever is just fine. Elimination of time units is also great. It sucks that it's being whored out as a console title first, but that's the way the world works these days I guess. My only concern is that the PC port will be shit and have no mod support.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
X-Com: Enemy Unknown looks great. People who never played the first X-Com I can understand them not caring about this remake. X-Com was the first game I ever bought for my PC, and it has a special place in my heart. That said, the changes sound great. Smaller squads where each soldier can do a lot more than just move or fire or whatever is just fine. Elimination of time units is also great. It sucks that it's being whored out as a console title first, but that's the way the world works these days I guess. My only concern is that the PC port will be shit and have no mod support.
I don't mind some of the changes so long as they don't compromise too much. For example, a 4 man team sounds great for early on, but increasing it up to 12 people by the end would be that much better. I always felt like squads got way too large later on in the original XCom, and there is no reason that they need to be even as large as one skyranger full in the early game, but if it's stuck at 4 members for the entire game I'll be pissed (until someone finds a way to mod it in).

I haven't been following the game closely enough to know if it's already been confirmed if that's not a problem. I guess I should read up some more on it. I've been curious if the aliens will be able to assault your base or not this time, and how that would work if they can with the side view layout.

Overall, I expect the game to be pretty awesome in it's own right no matter what. I like how passionate the team seems to be about the franchises roots.

Dem Chryssalids man, dem Chryssalids...
Old 2012-07-16, 09:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

It goes up to six squad members, actually. Initially it is four though. After playing a lot of Silent Storm I think small squad sizes are fine. In X-Com, having 10 or 12 soldiers made me treat some of their moves very carelessly. A lot of the time I'd have a few guys in the thick of it, and the other 8 or 9 guys would be simple move orders. Keeping things small keeps the action pretty concentrated and moving at a good pace.

Incidentally if you haven't played the Silent Storm games I really recommend them. You can get them at GOG.com. They're turn-based tactical titles set in World War 2, with destructible terrain and everything. Some sci-fi elements show up later in them, but you can mod it out if you want. Those games have a max squad size of 6 and I find it really is a perfect number.

Also I kind of don't like the new chryssalid look. The hatching animation is brutal and disturbing in a good way, though. I just wish they were more similar to their previous form. They remind me too much of rachni from Mass Effect as they are now.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-07-16 at 09:04 PM.
Old 2012-07-17, 02:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Yeah, Silent Storm and SS: Sentinels are a lot of fun. I actually played the later game Hammer and Sickle first, then back tracked and played those. They're definitely worthy successors to games like XCOM and Jagged Alliance (the latter still being on my list of older games I need to get around to trying out). It looks like this new XCOM may be able to breath some fresh life into the worthy genre, so really it's a win win even if it ends up feeling significantly different than the original game in some ways.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion