Is Planetside heading for worse or for better? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Filmed in front of a live studio audience.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you think Planetside is heading for worse or better?
Worse 14 17.72%
Better 53 67.09%
I don't care 7 8.86%
Worse, I'm going to cancel my subscription 5 6.33%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-03-17, 09:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Brigadier General

Misc Info
Is Planetside heading for worse or for better?

No doubt there are a lot of changes being put into Planetside now like,
  • The capitals which just went in
  • The surge nerf
  • 3rd person being taken out

Do you think that this is for the worse or better of Planetside
Old 2004-03-17, 09:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by 321
3rd person being taken out
WTF??? 3rd person is being taken out?!?!

I always use that, i hope this isn't true.

As for this thread, PS is definatly moving towards the better, the capitals and broadcast warpgates were a massive addition to gameplay and is overall a very good implementation to PS. PS is slowly but surely moving towards the better gameplay.

Old 2004-03-17, 09:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

1) 3rd person being taken out I've not heard is final. Smoke as I recall agrees with people that say it represents the ability of a live soldier to hear things beyond himself and just general battlefield awareness.

2) The surge nerf is more like an "exploit fix"...fixing exploits is always a change for the better.

3) Capitols and infiltrator fixes (not buffs, fixes) and surge fixes are making it a much more balanced and entertaining game. If they'd do a space expansion, I'd be quite happy.
Old 2004-03-17, 09:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

They need to fix all the bugs and finalize everything they have in development and optimize the performance of PS as a whole before they even THINK about making an expansion but knowing SOE...they just want their money so that expansion is probubly(sp) right around the corner.

Old 2004-03-17, 09:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

According to the Devs SL, the things you mention are exactly what they're working on. As per smoke last night "No expansions in the forseeable future"
Old 2004-03-17, 09:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Krinsath
According to the Devs SL, the things you mention are exactly what they're working on. As per smoke last night "No expansions in the forseeable future"
WOOHOO.

Old 2004-03-17, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Liquidtide
Contributor
First Lieutenant

I'm really scared about the cave locking and forcing people into the caves. I for one really do not like going down there, it's too confusing and the battles are not very tactical it's more of a FPS 1 v 1 feel, not the MMPOL that PS is proud of. The benifit of locking the caverns is to strong IMO. The lack of a goal is starting to wear on me, especially that I'm BR20 now I really only fight for the kills and to lock continents but that is losing it's appeal too.

And most of all the current state of lag with this patch is really frustrating and making it unplayable...

~Tide
Old 2004-03-17, 09:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
oddfish
Colonel

I too am not a huge fan of the caves. And aside from that, the devs do need to sit down and have a second look at the server issues before they start going apeshit with any more "nifty new ideas."

I'm running on a pretty damn fast connection and still have certain lag issues. I think that's a bit ridiculous. All i'm going to say is this: give the server issues some love.

My Blog
[20:19] <Phobos> oddfish: Glad to see you, now help me move this dead body.
Old 2004-03-17, 09:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Liquidtide
And most of all the current state of lag with this patch is really frustrating and making it unplayable...
I do not know of any lag at all. There is always lag in this game and to me, it seems like normal.

Old 2004-03-17, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
oddfish
Colonel

I agree that there's always going to be SOME lag. but i really think that a look at the servers might be able to unearth a way to help with the lag that DOES exist. I know there's a shitload of people playing at a time, but really, if you're running on a 1337 connection then you should be able to get around 90% of lag. The only time there should ever be any existence of lag is when you go from a hallway to a room having a zerg extravoganza.

My Blog
Old 2004-03-17, 10:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

In a perfect world, yes...that is the only time that lag would occur. Problem is that between point A (your computer) and point B (the servers at SOE), there's this ugly monster called "The Internet".

I really wish I could remember where it was, but there was an article written by one of the developers who made Lucasarts' X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter game (the first SW multiplayer flight-sim....had horrible lag issues, especially with the server side hit detection...if you played a duel, you did it with each hosting in turn) talking about how the Internet just plain sucks. You may not know it, but your lag may be caused by a janitor at some no name ISP that hits a power cord and unplugs a router for a split second. This causes a whole flurry of problems as the computers change routing and what not. Sometimes routers send things out on balanced loads, meaning your packets might not take the same path to their destination. Any number of variables goes on with the Internet to ensure that you're going to have tons of network lag no matter what. Since there's a lot going on in a big battle, there's lots of packets being sent out and sometimes the computers along the way (that SOE has no control over) are the ones causing the problems.

Lag is an omni-present monster for Internet gaming, because the Internet isn't controlled by anybody...which is how it should be damnit.
Old 2004-03-17, 10:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
oddfish
Colonel

agreed. i have been shown the sad truth which is also a bright shining light of smiley goodness. Lag will ru13 411 f0r3\/4h!!11 god bless the internet. and don't mess with texas

My Blog
Old 2004-03-17, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
CorDharel
Corporal

I will never understand why they got such a "*%� idea like caverns...

What about more object on the surface? What's about really different continents?

I think also NPC's would be a better Idea than caverns...
Old 2004-03-17, 10:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
oddfish
Colonel

NPC's??? um.. i'm not starting a flame war, just stating an issue with that. Theres already enough lag without having random artificial existences roaming the planet. Besides, what do you need bots and npc's for when you've got massive multiplayer? i don't know, just seems redundent.

My Blog
Old 2004-03-17, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
kidriot
Sergeant Major

Worse.

When a Dev team begins to nerf innovation on the part of the playerbase it�s time to move onto a different game.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion