Will Planetside 2 disappoint its hardcore fans? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Now selling Vanu brand special Kool-Aid!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-12, 04:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Reddek
Private

Will Planetside 2 disappoint its hardcore fans?

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and new to the game itself (although I played Planetside a few times at my friend's house a few years ago). I have been following Planetside 2 for some time now and I have a burning question I wish to ask you, the community:

Is Planetside 2 heading in the right direction in terms of becoming a successful sequel to the first game?

Why do I ask?

I have just stopped playing Battlefield 3; the game completely lacked what Battlefield 2 featured - DICE/EA turned into a money-making machine and have now turned Battlefield 3 into one of the most-successful profit-making video games in history.

The game failed to reach expectations, will Planetside 2 succeed in terms of what the hardcore gamers expect? I really want to play this game, but I have been let down by so many different games over the last few years that I'm not sure if I'm willing to trust it yet.

Thank you for your time,

Reddek.
Old 2012-06-12, 05:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Khrakhan
Corporal

Re: Will Planetside 2 disappoint its hardcore fans?

way too soon to know....
Old 2012-06-12, 05:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Traenor
Private

People will always be disappointed in some fashion, just because some feature they dreamt of isnt there or some kind of gameplay doesnt suit their tastes. What you have to do is manage your expectations and ask yourself what you want to see in the game. I want to see massive FPS combat with strategical oppurtunities, and i certainly hope PS2 will deliver. Ask yourself, what do you want to see? If you see the possibilities of that existing the in the game, hope for it and get hyped
Old 2012-06-12, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Hamma
PSU Admin

To soon to know - I don't think it will disappoint.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-06-12, 10:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Reddek View Post
Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and new to the game itself (although I played Planetside a few times at my friend's house a few years ago). I have been following Planetside 2 for some time now and I have a burning question I wish to ask you, the community:

Is Planetside 2 heading in the right direction in terms of becoming a successful sequel to the first game?

Why do I ask?

I have just stopped playing Battlefield 3; the game completely lacked what Battlefield 2 featured - DICE/EA turned into a money-making machine and have now turned Battlefield 3 into one of the most-successful profit-making video games in history.

The game failed to reach expectations, will Planetside 2 succeed in terms of what the hardcore gamers expect? I really want to play this game, but I have been let down by so many different games over the last few years that I'm not sure if I'm willing to trust it yet.

Thank you for your time,

Reddek.
Why would you base your opinion of Planetside 2 off how other people compare it to Planetside? Why not instead judge the game off of its own merits and the entertainment you get out of it?
Old 2012-06-12, 12:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Reddek
Private

Thanks for your responses, guys.

I was just asking because I just want to make sure that the original Planetside playerbase is happy with how Planetside 2 is looking at the moment.

I guess I should judge for myself on how it looks, and I have to admit that it looks excellent, but are all the original Planetside players happy with how it looks?
Old 2012-06-12, 12:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
DerFurst
Corporal

Misc Info

Well, I can tell you that I'm already disappointed at how long the wait for beta is!
Old 2012-06-12, 01:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Miir
Malvision

Hell yes! Nothing makes me happy.

Except this:
http://hamma.ytmnd.com/

edit: But seriously. I think fans are the hardest to please and they are bound to be some bumps in the road. So far from what we've seen up to this point. The game is exceeding my expectations. We'll know more after beta

Last edited by Miir; 2012-06-12 at 01:11 PM.
Old 2012-06-12, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Reddek View Post
Thanks for your responses, guys.

I was just asking because I just want to make sure that the original Planetside playerbase is happy with how Planetside 2 is looking at the moment.

I guess I should judge for myself on how it looks, and I have to admit that it looks excellent, but are all the original Planetside players happy with how it looks?
Why would you care what the playerbase of a game you have never played thinks of PS2?

As someone who played PS I think PS2 is looking great, but for every one of me there is someone who is afraid of the changes. Both camps seem to be very vocal and things will be tense until beta arrives, once that happens it will blow up for a bit then calm down as people find more and more evidence to base their opinions on rather than "it looks like BF3/COD".

Wait for beta and see how the game plays for yourself to form your opinion on that and not what other people think. It's not like you will be paying to have a chance at the game.

Last edited by ArmedZealot; 2012-06-12 at 01:18 PM.
Old 2012-06-12, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Miir View Post
Hell yes! Nothing makes me happy.

Except this:
http://hamma.ytmnd.com/

edit: But seriously. I think fans are the hardest to please and they are bound to be some bumps in the road. So far from what we've seen up to this point. The game is exceeding my expectations. We'll know more after beta
lol...nice gif!
Old 2012-06-12, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Zolan
Staff Sergeant

As someone who played a bunch of PS1 back in the day from launch (not anymore), I would say it's about 50/50 for me.

Half of the new stuff will undoubtedly disappoint me.

(Perm. Footholds, Quick-melee, Silly camouflage and decorations, jump pads/elevators, health regen, squad spawn, etc.)

However, the remnants of PS1 and any many of the new additions will definitely make me happy.

(Hex System, Night Gameplay, Weapon attachments and variants, Engineer turrets, Barrel-rolls/Physics, Larger maps/capacity, etc.)

I'll end up playing anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Last edited by Zolan; 2012-06-12 at 01:44 PM.
Old 2012-06-12, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
CuddlyChud
Staff Sergeant

I think with a game as old and unique as Planetside, its impossible to please everyone. There are vets here who love everything SOE is doing, and vets who think PS2 is the sign of the Apocalypse. Most are optimistic, though perhaps also guarded. For me personally, I think Planetside 2 is looking really good. Mechanically, I always felt Planetside 1 was sub par. It was fun despite its clunky mechanics, not because of them.
Old 2012-06-12, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Morphic
Private

I played PS1 and I am very happy that here is a sequel. I swear i truly thought this would never happen. Im enjoying what I am seeing so far. First day buy for me.
Old 2012-06-12, 05:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

I'm stoked on the new game! It looks better than the original to me!

Only 2 fears, no cont caps "might" get boring, but who can tell at this point.

and no dedicated tank driver with a main gunner as the second player.

But overall I've never been more stoked (played PS1 for 8 years)
Old 2012-06-12, 10:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Rhapsody
Corporal

Personaly i think 'parts' of it may dissapoint its older fans. Players from PS1 are going to feel out of place in MBT's that their both the gunner of AND the driver. Those mobile tank-battles from PS1 are going to be gone. In its place is going to be the 'move 5 feet, shoot, back into cover again, mess from Battlefield. The PS1 players who loved their lightings are going to feel at home in the new MBT's, but those of us who liked the old dedicated driver/gunner MBT's from the origional i feel are going to be badly let down by the new tanks.

As for the ground-pounders.. i think Everyone is going to like the weapon customizing and the new MAX's, but i think the loss of being able to heal your vehicles + rez your buddy is going to throw some dedicated support players off just a bit.

On a whole i think PS2 is going to be great.. but i honestly do feel that 'some' parts of if (as they stand now) will dissapoint the old-school fans.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions