I'm Having So Much Trouble With PS2 Compared to Other FPS's! - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Bring your goat.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-12-04, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
absolofdoom
Private

Re: I'm Having So Much Trouble With PS2 Compared to Other FPS's!

I always played BF3 with a squad in teamspeak, and I have to say the similarities between it and Planetside 2 are very high indeed. Like a mix between Arma 2 and BF3 with a sci-fi theme, really. It was almost a seamless transition for me.

Although if you want to roll people by yourself, you have to pick your battles a lot more in Planetside 2. Generally you want to be working with your outfit though, and if you're like me you'll find a small outfit where you're only running with maybe 10 people at a time. I don't like zerg outfits very much, you don't get to have good fights.
Old 2012-12-10, 04:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Gaarthar
Private

iv had around 0.3-0.5 K/D the first 2-3 days of playing PS2 back in the beta, even though iv played countless hours of other FPS games, and was very successful there.
gues what ? im at 2.5-3 K/D now.
the game takes time to get used to , like every other game. it does take even more getting used to thanks to it having such a large part of vehicular gameplay involved, compared to other FPS games.

the bottom line:
don't give up , keep practicing , try different classes and vehicles to find what suits you best. people who put in the effort definitely will be rewarded by results.

Last edited by Gaarthar; 2012-12-10 at 04:43 AM.
Old 2012-12-10, 09:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

PS2 has a much higher learning curve compared to the FPS of the day.

Also it think you need a plan man, PS2 is not about K/D but I understand how it can be frustrating to lose more than you win when being shot at. I suggest you get a plan in your head about what you hope to achieve each play session and learn what works and what doesn't. Also you need to step up your situational awareness and keep your head on a swivel. Join a squad and learn from others, support them and you will learn. Baby steps my friend baby steps...

Last edited by VaderShake; 2012-12-10 at 12:11 PM.
Old 2012-12-10, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Kiljosh
Private

I joined a week ago and have about 23hrs of playtime. Before this I played Battlefield 3 logging around 170hrs of playtime. Before that I was a casual on Call of Duty MW2 and Left for Dead. I am not a huge FPS player, more of an MMOer but I do have some experience with the genre. Hell when Halo 2 first came out it was like crack for me. Team Snipers was so fun.

The biggest factor I think is getting used to recoil control. People coming from games where it matters less seem to just dump whole clips and wonder why enemies aren't dying. You should be burst firing medium-long range. When your in someone's face it can be ok to go full auto if you need to. Just aim for the upperchest and pull down on the mouse while firing.

When I started playing this game I couldn't hit anything. The guns felt awkward and I was discouraged. Then this kid randomly invited me to his squad while I was chilling in the warpgate. I ran around with him and 4 other people doing hit and run tactics on small bases away from the big labs/tech plants. I played medic for them. Letting them do the attacking while I hung back and kept them healed up or revived them. Not only did I get a massive amount of certs while barely firing my weapon but I learned about how to actually play the game. I learned about generators and spawn controllers. That first day alone was enough for me to get a sight and upgrade my medic's tool to L3.

Staying together is key it seems. More so than any other FPS I have ever played. And since that first few days of playing pure support and keeping my (now outfit) buddies alive, I have gained almost 600 certs and my play has improved dramatically. The biggest thing I believe was the first sight(2x Reflex) I unlocked for my Medic's carbine. As soon as I got this sight I was able to actually hit my shots. That's when the certs really started coming in. I used them to improve my medic kit and now I have L3 Revive/Heal tool.

This game feels like an impassable mountain to a Planetside noob at first but believe me, it gets better. The best thing for me was without a shadow of a doubt joining that squad that day, making friends, and improving my gear by supporting others. I don't give a crap about K/D but I know I started around .3 and am up to .9.. Just keep going you will get the muscle memory down and it will become easier.

Last edited by Kiljosh; 2012-12-10 at 11:17 AM.
Old 2012-12-10, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

One of the unique issues with Planetside is too many comparisons to other FPSs. Yes that's what it is but it's MMO genes require a certain train of thought to affect your gameplay.

One of the biggest tips I give to new people is Learn when you're out gunned. Too many people are going for pure kills and in doing so don't bother learning about this game's unique tactics that lead to longer lives and killstreaks.

It just takes practice, and I'll admit it's not for everyone. But after a few days of play time you just start to get an idea of the scope of this game.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2012-12-10, 06:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
LoliLoveFart
Contributor
First Sergeant

I'm mindful of my K/D but it doesn't stop me running into a room full of people if that's what my outfit needs me to do. I'm just as happy throwing myself at the grinder as I am farming kills. If I end a session with a negative K/D ill generally be a little miffed but then I look back at what we accomplished as a whole and it all just evens out.

Even if you say to someone K/D isn't important it still weighs on their mind. Some people can shrug it off as a number other people measure their success by it. You have to remember, to take a facility you need to kill other players. If you don't value your K/D it doesn't mean no one does.

Now. If you are not death incarnate you should probably join up with an outfit and fill a support role. While not a full on kill fest, support roles do actually get into a lot of pitched battles, killing that LA trying to c4 your tanks, reviving your HA's to push the point more. Piloting the Lib or the gal. There are a lot of other roles in outfit play that arnt purely combat focused.

Old 2012-12-10, 07:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
EatSleepGame
Private

Originally Posted by GTGD View Post
The biggest difference that everyone needs to get used to in Planetside isn't the massive battles, it's the fact that you are going to die a LOT. People associate dying with doing something wrong or badly, and that isn't necessarily the case. Superstars of other FPS like CoD, BF, or CS have it especially tough starting out. That isn't to say K/D isn't important, but there are so many people who play this game and expect to be some invincible war god, killing everyone and capturing a territory on their first life when realistically even the best grunts will respawn a few times.

You said you're having a great time, but you're frustrated by dying. This game is all about death. Change your perspective and I guarantee you will have even better of a time. When you die 100 times in a couple hours but finally take that tech plant, it will just feel sweeter.

While you're getting used to this new idea of "death = OK", there are some fun things to do to boost your K/D and avoid constantly being in the meatgrinder. Find a buddy that likes to fly liberators and bomb for him with the zepher or dalton cannons. You'll be able to carpet bomb a whole territory and rack up kills. Infantry, tanks, landed aircraft, whatever is down there will die.
I feel so much better about suicide bombing Galaxies with my Scythes now.
Old 2012-12-14, 09:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
HiroshiChugi
Captain

Originally Posted by Juryrig View Post
How many base captures have you been involved in?

How many times have you backed up your squadmates when they needed it, charged into a defended base to drop a grenade before dying, to keep the pressure on the defenders?

Fought shoulder to shoulder with squadmates in the doorway of a camped spawnroom, or co-ordinated everyone respawning at the next base over to come back and counter-attack, rather than keep flogging away at a dead horse?

Pushed back a determined assault with skill (and shedloads of luck, usually) in the face of insurmountable odds?

Respawned as a class you don't really favour, because that's what the situation called for, so that's what your empire needed you to do?

Those are probably better indications of being 'good' at the game than any kind of k/d ratio.

Are you having fun? If so, just stop looking at your stats page. If fun for you means being as good as other players by some defined metric (and it's 100% valid if it is) then maybe you need to really look at how you are playing. If you want to improve k/d, then hanging back, sniping, and then camping spawnrooms after the fighting has been done will probably work better.
Very well said,i had "Indestructable by Disturbed" playing in the back of my head when reading this o.O xD you sounded like a true General/Commander/etc. when you said this.and it's all true.i die SO many times.in fact,i was lucky to have a 14-20 KDR at one time.(thats what being a good zephyr bomber and having a great pilot does to your KDR :3) but the bottom line is, all of what these people have said is true.you are going to die... a LOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTT and its going to SSSUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKKKK when you keep getting killed by the same person. But eventually you will find your niche in the PS2 community. I found out mine is sniping,light assault,and being part of huge armour columns that just blow shit up!! after all,it's what i like to do >:3 but yeah,just play around with the different vehicles and classes, expirament with different tatics and strategies.hey,maybe even find an outfit to play with. in fact, you can even join the one i'm in.we play on the Waterson server as the New Conglomerate. here is the website: http://thefirstcav.com/home
good luck and Hhppy hunting!
Old 2012-12-15, 11:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
psijaka
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by bjorntju1 View Post
This game would be so much better if they scrapped the K/D stat altogether.
I just sooo much agree with this. I find myself keeping an eye on my k/d even though I know full well that it has little meaning in this game. Yet sadly it is just human nature to do so, and it is a blight on the game.

To the OP - don't get hung up on k/d - focus on the good you are doing for your team, like mending that tank or healing team mates, or risking your neck to blow up that enemy sunderer that the attackers are spawning from.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions