Roles for old slow guys - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Bad Llama!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2013-07-21, 12:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
wobblyone
Private

Re: Roles for old slow guys

You are just beating me by a couple of years Beard (I think, I can't remember)
I have settled into the Engineer role and love it. Sometimes I head out on turret repair expeditions on my own, or get stuck in repairing vehicles and Max units while throwing ammo around.
Spend certs on mines, anti personnel mines and C4 and let the fun begin
Old 2013-07-23, 12:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
camycamera
Major

found a beautiful post regarding this on the forums. there ya go

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/.../#post-1993372

Originally Posted by Linedan
So I've been playing PS2 since late beta, and played PS1 for a year or so when it first came out. I also played WWII Online for several years.

And I was, and am, awful at all of them.

I'm not a multiplayer FPS guy, never have been. I dabble in a lot of MMOs but they're all RPGs or games in which I do pretty much PvE only--WoW, SWTOR, Neverwinter, Star Trek Online, etc. I even played EVE for a few years off and on and rarely PvP'd there. I have never been into COD or BF-style lobby shooters the least little bit. They hold no appeal to me, and honestly, from what I've seen of the communities in those games, I'm glad of that.

And yet there's something about the persistent-world MMOFPS that appeals. I love working together with a squad or platoon to accomplish a goal even if it's just a big zergball. I love the unpredictability, the teamwork, the fact that there's not really a "score" or "ladder" to worry about, it's just all about accomplishing the task in front of you, attacking or defending a base, clearing a point, securing a ridgeline so the guys behind can pass through and advance.

There's just one problem with it. I suck.

I'm pushing 47 years old. I never had the twitch reflexes of a 20-year-old even when I *was* 20 so you can imagine how I do in a game where the skill floor is fairly high, the TTK is measured in fractions of a second, and most of the rest of the playerbase have vastly more modern FPS experience. I conservatively estimate I lose 95%+ of the gunfights I get into. I routinely get the drop on people, open up, shoot them in the back, and then have them turn around and waste me. In a 1v1 CQC "dance-fight" I will lose, either through not moving enough or not turning and aiming properly or just derping and having my hand slip off my mouse.

My main is a BR 55 NC who plays engineer 90% of the time. His K/D, as you see below, is 0.63 lifetime. That's inflated by almost 550 Bouncing Betty and tank mine kills, btw. I have no Auraxium medals (210 kills to go on my Gauss Compact S). I have four other alts on various servers, BR 27 down to BR 14, and all have K/Ds under 0.80. I just spent a frustrating 10 minutes playing at lunch (I work from home) on my BR 27 TR alt on Waterson, trying to keep two NC from taking a Tawrich satellite. And failing. Three of us, two NC HAs, and we got owned. I went, I think, 3-9 against them and one of those was a mine kill. It didn't matter whether I was HA or engineer, even using my UBGL on my TRAC-5 S, even getting the drop on one of them. No luck. I just fed them kills.

It's the story of my PS2 career. A lot of shouted curses (hopefully not loud enough for my daughter to learn new words from Daddy) and slammed headphones and ragequits. A lot of sighs and looks from my wife and comments of "why do you even still play that game, as much as you sound like you hate it?"

Because I don't hate it.

Because I'm in an awesome outfit full of cool people who understand my limitations and appreciate me for the engineer I play and the ammo and repairs I do, and don't worry so much that I'm the old fart that can't shoot straight.

Because on some nights I might go 8-31 but we hold off a VS zerg twice our size to defend a base and the fight is absolutely epic.

Because every now and then, just when I'm starting to think I need to say "screw it," drop my membership, and head on down the road, something magical happens. And I'll be in a Lightning and get three headshots on infantry in a row with an AP cannon. Or I'll lay some tank mines perfectly and pump my fist as an enemy Sunderer blunders into them. Or follow a MAX from one end of a biolab to the other as he gets kill after kill after kill, keeping him repaired. Or I'll be on my baby TR alt as HA trying out the T32 and somehow go 32-14 attacking a base, which is a world record for me. Or just take a second to stand on a balcony at Indar Excavation and watch dozens of VS or TR ants swarming across the desert toward us and think, "holy CRAP that looks amazing." (Right before I get sniped.)

Those moments are what keep me coming back. There's no other game out there that provides them.

So to my fellow bads, a few words of advice:

1. Find your niche. So you aren't MLGprol33t with a gun clearing a room. Grab a repair tool or a medgun, or a tank or a fighter or a sniper rifle. Follow the stone killers and keep them going, spawn Sunderers, provide air cover, ride the top gun in a tank. You'll get some certs and kills out of it, don't worry, and have fun doing it.

2. Join a good outfit. This game sucks to play alone. Do some research and find an outfit that fits you. They're out there. This community is better than it looks at first glance, but you will probably have to shovel through some manure to find that pony.

3. Be the best bad you can be. Read tips threads here on the forums. Do some research. Ask questions. Just because you're not naturally gifted at a twitch shooter isn't an excuse to not know what you're doing or not learn.

4. Eff the haters. Don't even respond to them. If somebody feels the need to rag on you because you're not "good" in their eyes or not playing the "correct" way, that's on them, not on you.

5. Be ready to walk away. Someday I may get so pissed at this game that I put it down and walk away, and if I do, I'll do it without regrets. It's a game. It's not worth getting but so stressed over. If you're not having fun, stop doing it. Life's too short. (Especially here.)

And remember. If it wasn't for us bads, you guys wouldn't look as good as you do.
Old 2013-07-23, 02:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
CraazyCanuck
First Sergeant

Great find and a great read! Mirrors a lot of my own frustrations but yet we return lol! Too funny is his mentioning the looks from his wife. Soon as I read it, the look my wife gives me moments before she rolls her eyes came to mind

Last edited by CraazyCanuck; 2013-07-23 at 02:12 PM.
Old 2013-09-17, 03:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
synkrotron
First Sergeant

Misc Info

What a gem of a topic this is.

Being 53 myself this has given me some hope LOL
Old 2013-09-17, 06:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
OCNSethy
Major

Originally Posted by synkrotron View Post
What a gem of a topic this is.

Being 53 myself this has given me some hope LOL
Hang in there dude, there is always room for us oldies
Old 2013-09-17, 11:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Bulltahr
Corporal

Yeah, every contribution helps, I'm 48 and doing everything but flying.
Don't worry about K/D , that's not an accurate gauge gnerally speaking.
Old 2013-09-19, 08:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Rolfski
Major

I hear you. This game can be extremely depressing when you're 45+, losing every 1 vs 1 and have that horrible KDR pointing at you every time, while you're team mates are boosting their 20th Auraxium medal and you are still awaiting your first.

SOE making this game increasingly competitive and harder to get into for newer and casual gamers is not helping much either.

If you want to rack up kills as slow-reflex infantry, you're out of luck and stuck to support roles. A max might get you occasionally a good run but to keep it alive you really need to keep your outfit mates close to you. If you really want to play offensive and kill stuff, being a tanker is your best bet. If you have a good team mate, Harasser & Liberator can get you many kills as well.

Otherwise, being platoon leader is were you can put your wisdom skills to good use.
Old 2013-09-19, 12:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
I hear you. This game can be extremely depressing when you're 45+, losing every 1 vs 1 and have that horrible KDR pointing at you every time, while you're team mates are boosting their 20th Auraxium medal and you are still awaiting your first.

SOE making this game increasingly competitive and harder to get into for newer and casual gamers is not helping much either.

If you want to rack up kills as slow-reflex infantry, you're out of luck and stuck to support roles. A max might get you occasionally a good run but to keep it alive you really need to keep your outfit mates close to you. If you really want to play offensive and kill stuff, being a tanker is your best bet. If you have a good team mate, Harasser & Liberator can get you many kills as well.

Otherwise, being platoon leader is were you can put your wisdom skills to good use.
I think you've overdone the gloom. I certainly don't lose every 1 v 1. I probably break even and then boost it with tanks, max and claymore.

The key is finding the right thing to do at the right time.
Old 2013-09-19, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Bulltahr
Corporal

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
I think you've overdone the gloom. I certainly don't lose every 1 v 1. I probably break even and then boost it with tanks, max and claymore.

The key is finding the right thing to do at the right time.
Yeah I agree, I've notice my skill level increase over the months. You certainly can be compeditive, play smarter, not harder.
Old 2013-09-19, 11:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Rolfski
Major

Sure there's a learning curve for everybody but that's not the point. Point is to don't try to be a tower shotgun ninja if you don't have the reflexes for it. Get into a tank and play your game, not theirs.
Old 2013-09-20, 12:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
synkrotron
First Sergeant

Misc Info

I've not had a go of tanks yet. And flying is just not on the agenda at the moment. I'm still learning the intricacies of how best to use "resources" and I've spent the last week pouring over the wiki here learning more about gameplay, weapons, vehicles and loads more.

The other night I ventured into the game just to look around. I went north from my Warpgate, firstly "renting" a Flash and because I hadn't realised that it had a timer I spent some time on foot. Eventually I walked into a battle. It was great just to watch from the distance. I launched a few missiles into the frey, being careful not to hit my Empire chums but I don't think it had an effect as such.

Eventually, someone spotted me creeping around and shot me hahaha.

Anyway, nice and slowly does it
Old 2013-09-20, 03:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
CraazyCanuck
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bulltahr View Post
Yeah, every contribution helps, I'm 48 and doing everything but flying.
Don't worry about K/D , that's not an accurate gauge gnerally speaking.
The Drunken Legion and you have Boob in your slogan?? Where do I sign up??

Old 2013-09-20, 08:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Bulltahr
Corporal

Originally Posted by CraazyCanuck View Post
The Drunken Legion and you have Boob in your slogan?? Where do I sign up??
PM'd you,

We play on Briggs, a great server IMO.
Leave the spandex on Matherson................
TR seems to have the pop and organization ATM, don't know what happened to Trojan trolls (VS), seem to have imploded after thier FNO appearance.
NC are getting their shit together now, always a good fight available on Briggs.
Old 2013-09-23, 08:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
diLLa
Staff Sergeant

Half the part of being a good infantry player is knowing when to fight and when not to fight, and having knowledge of your surroundings. If you can combine that with a killer aim, you are probably one of the best players on the server. But without the aim, you can still be quite good.

My advice to you, is to completely avoid going heads-on with enemies, but always look for a good flank, since that can give you time to line up the shots you need. And try to learn how to read the minimap well and learn to predict enemy movement to accomplish such flanks.
Old 2013-10-08, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
johnukguy
Private

Originally Posted by BigGrayBeard View Post
First of all, I am 56 years old and my reaction times will never be what they were 30 years ago...
Any suggestions of a better role I could be playing?
I know this thread has been around for a while but I did feel the need to comment. First off, forget that first sentence entirely. Your muscle memory and reaction timing will be a lot better than you think with some application and practice and you will be more than able to compete with younger players. And if you don't believe that, I'm forty nine and perfectly capable of kicking ass respectably. Secondly, try out the medic and engineer roles more. This game really isn't so much about being great at shooting people and hardly ever dying as being able to work in a team and being aware of what needs doing at any given time; Playing the support classes is an excellent way to do that and to rack up lots of experience and certs much faster than relying on kills. Just make sure you max out your medic and engineer tool as quickly as possible and you'll find that the dividends in terms of XP more than makes this worthwhile. Then, when you do have some spare certs, try out something like the Light Assault and just have fun with C4 and a decent SMG. Oh and one other thing - those people you come across that do hardly ever die and nearly always win every one on one encounter - they're almost all cheating.

Last edited by johnukguy; 2013-10-08 at 09:21 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions