Subscription Roll-over? How transition PS->PS2? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Is Hamma drunk?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-09-13, 07:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Dov
Private

Subscription Roll-over? How transition PS->PS2?

Hey All,

I did a search and didn't find any info on this. Just wondering if any word have come out as to how SOE will handle the obvious migration from PS to PS2. If I have a whole year of PS time bought when PS2 comes out it is lost? I mean if PS2 is f2p, how does that play into the mix...

If PS servers are up after PS2 comes out (will they be, or be down to "force" people to migrate to PS2), it seems that my subscription will just be wasted money (since I totally plan on moving to PS2 and not looking back!)

Thanks ya'll
Old 2011-09-13, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: Subscription Roll-over? How transition PS->PS2?

Heya Dov - unfortunately we literally have no clue what their plans are on this front yet

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-09-13, 08:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

It would be nice if they migrated existing characters and outfits straight over into PS2. Naturally I mean minus any outfit points, BR, CR, etc.
Old 2011-09-13, 09:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Killerobe
Private

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
It would be nice if they migrated existing characters and outfits straight over into PS2. Naturally I mean minus any outfit points, BR, CR, etc.
I think the info would be nice for outfits and names. But not direct chars. What if someone wants to make a new looking guy on what is sure to be a epic character creation system /sarcasm off
Old 2011-09-13, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Killerobe View Post
I think the info would be nice for outfits and names. But not direct chars. What if someone wants to make a new looking guy on what is sure to be a epic character creation system /sarcasm off
Sarcasm aside because I C WUT U DID THAR, I'm talking about the character name itself - and instead of a server-wide port it should be selective, IE a character transfer service that the player initiates. That way, anyone who played PS1 that didn't elect to carry on in PS2 isn't hogging the name if, by some random quirk of fate, BIGGIESMALLSTHERAPGENIUS or GODJOEY happen to be the name of choice for some random first-timer.

It can be set so that the name-only is sent over. Character creation can be flagged for the first-ever log-in. It's been done before on other games.
Old 2011-09-13, 10:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Planetside doesnt end becaues of Planetside 2, technically at least.

Means, its two seperate games. You wont get cash rolled over, but you will get a refund if they shut down the game.
Old 2011-09-13, 10:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
CutterJohn
Colonel

I agree with Firefly here. Be a silly thing to hog all the names.

I wonder.. Could we essentially make 3x more names, and append TR/VS/NC on the end? So if you want to talk to me, and I play NC with you, you would just type in CutterJohn. If you were NC and wanted to talk to me on VS, you'd type CutterJohnVS.

Seems simple enough and would open up names a fair bit.
Old 2011-09-13, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Planetside doesnt end becaues of Planetside 2, technically at least.

Means, its two seperate games. You wont get cash rolled over, but you will get a refund if they shut down the game.
I cannot, for the life of me, imagine why SOE would leave Planetside servers up after Planetside 2. Practically everyone I know in PS right now will be playing PS2. I cannot even fathom that it would be profitable - even if there's a small minority who say "fuck that game" or they're like this guy I know who still has dial-up, less than 1gb of CPU speed on his computer, and still plays Ultima Online, it can't possibly be profitable.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
I wonder.. Could we essentially make 3x more names, and append TR/VS/NC on the end? So if you want to talk to me, and I play NC with you, you would just type in CutterJohn. If you were NC and wanted to talk to me on VS, you'd type CutterJohnVS.

Seems simple enough and would open up names a fair bit.
I'm sure anything could be coded - but considering that they aren't wasting time or money or game-data space on coding in vehicle-boarding animations, I don't know that they would devote resources to this. I'm not an SOE dev so I couldn't say.
Old 2011-09-13, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

I think you just got screwed over paying for a years worth of PS. Tough break.

In regards to the server shutting down. I don't think they've made any direct statement about shutting down the servers after PS2 launches but I can't imagine it would remain on very long. I vaguely remember a statement saying "The original Planetside isn't going anywhere".

The thought of them shutting the game of is saddening though. I've been playing it since I was all but a small child. The last day of PS would be very surreal.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-09-13, 10:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Killerobe
Private

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
Sarcasm aside because I C WUT U DID THAR, I'm talking about the character name itself - and instead of a server-wide port it should be selective, IE a character transfer service that the player initiates. That way, anyone who played PS1 that didn't elect to carry on in PS2 isn't hogging the name if, by some random quirk of fate, BIGGIESMALLSTHERAPGENIUS or GODJOEY happen to be the name of choice for some random first-timer.

It can be set so that the name-only is sent over. Character creation can be flagged for the first-ever log-in. It's been done before on other games.
In that case I completely agree with you!
Old 2011-09-13, 10:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Crator
Major General

Who knows. They could credit your PS2 account, or let you transfer your PS1 pre-paid credits to PS2.
Old 2011-09-13, 10:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Who knows. They could credit your PS2 account, or let you transfer your PS1 pre-paid credits to PS2.
This would be a fairly magnanimous gesture. However, if the original game sticks around, not very likely. Who knows? Mr. Smedley is very accomodating towards helping out Planetside players.
Old 2011-09-13, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
SavageB
First Sergeant

I def cant see PS1 sticking around, some of my friends mentioned this last night. Interesting to see how this would be handled.
Old 2011-09-13, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

PS2 isn't really a direct upgrade of PS1. I imagine they'll probably leave PS1 up for as long as it can be run profitably. If they shut down I'm sure they'll refund any subscription time that hasn't been used, but that's no guarantee that you won't have a few months of ghost town until then.
Old 2011-09-13, 11:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
jollytraveller
Private

Who pays for Planetside by the year?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion