Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2006-12-27, 08:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Diviant
Contributor
First Sergeant

Paintball

Recently I've gotten interested in starting up in paintball. I've been an avid Airsoft player, but I'm looking for something with less walking and more shooting.

I'm visiting the local indoor speedball joint this monday to play and see if I want to switch to it.

I'm fairly sure that baring some event that makes me hate all things paintball, I'm fairly sure I'll be selling off my airsoft gear to buy myself a decent marker, some paintballs, and a jersey.

Now I know there's been some paintball threads before, so I'm sure we've got a few paintballers around here. Any recommendations for first markers, or things to look for when buying one? I'll have some decent cash to spend ($400-$500), but I know it's not a good idea to blow a huge wad on your first gun, so I'm probably going to spend somewhere around $250-300.
Old 2006-12-27, 11:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Infernus
Lieutenant General

Re: Paintball

Somebody else help him....

I'm too tired.
Old 2006-12-28, 03:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

A beginner gun wont cost $200.

Just get something simple, but not totally noobish like a pump gun since you mostly know what you're doing due to Airsoft.

Tippmann 98 Custom is Semiauto, very durable. Pretty easy to handle and clean.
Official Site

You can usually get one brand new for under $150, most often they come in a beginner pack with Mask and tank.

Or you could get fancy and use two of these.
http://www.onlinesports.com/pages/I,...PSDEL68C0.html

I ref games in the Summer. Once I got hit in both heads I decided this judge needs a lil retribution
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2006-12-28 at 03:23 AM.
Old 2006-12-28, 06:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Get a fucking Tippmann 98 Custom. End of statement. Absolutly the best motherfucking first time gun to get. Ive had mine for 6-7 years now and it has NEVER failed to fire. It has broken paint but it has ALWAYS fired. Might want to invest in a slightly longer barrel and a revolution aggitation hopper.

The gun is irrelivant most of the time though. Just as long as it will shoot. TBH the most important paintball equipment you will spend your money on is something most people overlook. That being GET A GOOD FUCKING MASK. In paintball sight = life. Get a very good mask and you can rape the field using a walmart pump.

Suggestions:

-Dont get a spyder anything.
-Dont go electronic yet.
-Research paint vs bore size on your gun
-Ask the vets, theyWILL help you.
-Learn to bottle up - that means making your profile the size of squeekies dick. Yes that small.
- Dont worry about a jersey.
-Get a good cleats if your playing indoors pants and shirt are optional.
-www.pb-review.com Research your equipment before you buy it.
- Find your local proshop, talk to them about a purchase but dont get lured into a gipping. Tell them "Hey Im interested into getting into paintball, Ive been looking at that "XXXXX" marker, Just wondering what you have seen out of them, do they break? ect ect."
-become friends with your local proshop. Hopefully they arnt elietist assholes and you will gain invaluble info

After you play for the first time Ill teach you some basics
Old 2006-12-28, 07:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Kyonye
Contributor
General

I have to get to work in a few minutes, so I will help you when I get back. Ask me any question you would like, and I will help.

My screen name is Higuy29 (it is practically older then me). I will be back in the afternoon sometime.

<Smaug> omg kyonye is hot
Old 2006-12-28, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Diviant
Contributor
First Sergeant

So a Tippmann 98C with like a Flatline barrel? Should I bother upgrading the trigger to a double or response one? I doubt I'll need a faster loader, since I'm not the spray-and-pray type.

And don't worry, I'm going to make the goggles my best purchase.

EDIT: Also, I've read that people recommend getting a drop forward, especially for speedball. I'm a guy who doesn't like long guns, so this upgrade seems pretty necessary for me.

Last edited by Diviant; 2006-12-28 at 02:34 PM.
Old 2006-12-29, 12:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Diviant View Post
people recommend getting a drop forward
It's good for everything overall. Less in the way.

One thing I enjoy for speedball is the Air on my belt, even more out of the way. Very bad for Woodsball though.

The Flatline barrel is pretty deadly, lot of $ for an upgrade though. Wouldn't recomend getting one first off. I myself like an arc to work with. With practice you can aim it just as well as a Flatline.

You'll get your style after playing a few games. Don't spend too much on customizing, just get a gun, get some paint, and tiedie the enemy.

Edit: Damn it you son's of bitches now I really want to play but no one around here will in winter.

Edit2: Time to paint snowmen
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2006-12-29 at 01:02 AM.
Old 2006-12-29, 06:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Theres no such thing as not shooting fast in paintball, If your going to play competitivly on a speed ball course, its all about laying down paint. You dont need to be insanly fast, it helps yea, but the whole key to speed ball is firing lanes being supressed so your guys can move and theirs cant. Get an agitation hopper and a 10 - 12" barrel and your set. The flatline is a good upgrade but isnt good for close quarters, the spinning ball will bounce more often.

Agitation hoppers dont speed up rof either they make sure you have a ball fed into the chamber every time instead of it jamming in the neck of the hopper.
Old 2006-12-29, 11:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Headshot
Old 2006-12-29, 12:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Hamma
PSU Admin

Holy shit that sucks

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2007-01-07, 06:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Ivan
Contributor
teh Sexb0t

Originally Posted by Lonehunter187 View Post

Funniest thing I've seen in a long time! You can really tell that was like his first game or so. What a noob mistake.
Violated by ChiaHamma
Old 2007-01-07, 10:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Kyonye
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Diviant View Post
So a Tippmann 98C with like a Flatline barrel? Should I bother upgrading the trigger to a double or response one? I doubt I'll need a faster loader, since I'm not the spray-and-pray type.

And don't worry, I'm going to make the goggles my best purchase.

EDIT: Also, I've read that people recommend getting a drop forward, especially for speedball. I'm a guy who doesn't like long guns, so this upgrade seems pretty necessary for me.
DO NOT GET THE FLATLINE SYSTEM IF YOU ARE GOING TO PLAY SPEEDBALL. I warn you now.

As far as barrels go, you have no need for a full kit. Go to your proshop, or search online for an All-American barrel. It is made by Smart Parts. Or you can look into a CP barrel HERE. Many guns also have different threading. So, if you buy a barrel online, make sure you enter the type of gun you are buying it for (they usually have a drop down menu), because then you won't be able to use it.

<Smaug> omg kyonye is hot
Old 2007-01-07, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Diviant
Contributor
First Sergeant

Well I've gone twice now, and it was a blast both times. The first time the rental they gave me was the mechanical Tippmann 98 Custom. Was fun, but I think it was because I didn't know any better. The second time I asked if they rented Electrics, and rented an Ion - sooooo much better than the Tippmann. There was no comparison to the Tippmann's mechanical system.

Both times there was this really nice, experienced guy there who had played with Dynasty over the summer. He told me a lot about everything, and fully recommended an Ion as my starter gun after I had asked him. (He was running an Ion that he had been given for free by Dynasty, and instead of selling it or something, he just dumped a crapload of money into it.) After playing with the Ion, I can say that it will most likely be my first purchase.

The best part was that my second time there I got to play a lot with the field's house team, and learned a lot and got to play with some experienced (crazy ass mofos) people.
Old 2007-01-07, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Thats how its done. Welcome to the best sport ever.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge