The Vanu Sovereignty seems out of place. - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where everyone has their own opinion, and yours is wrong.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-05, 08:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Re: The Vanu Sovereignty seems out of place.

Originally Posted by Memeotis View Post
I never played Planetside 1, but I don't think that disqualifies me from having an opinion on this matter.
Yup, it is.

What's out of place is someone who thinks something that has been part of the lore of the game since its inception is out of place. Hell, the foundation of the entire lore for the game is based upon Vanu technology.

Sorry, but you're just wrong on this. Completely wrong.

The Vanu Sovereignty are what make Planetside, Planetside.
Old 2012-06-05, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Haro
Master Sergeant

Honestly, if I were an art designer, I would have pushed the VS waaaaaaaaaay out their in terms of design. Even more alien than it is now, I've always liked to think of them as a really intense alien cult, so I'd try to make the design look as inhuman as possible. But if people think they went too far with the current stuff, I guess maybe it's a good thing my art career never was and never will be.
Old 2012-06-05, 09:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I like that we are the odd man out. Red vs blue... and combine them, purple! Refined and scrappy... and out of this world!

We are the official third wheel empire, and while TR vs VS fights are the best fights in the game, I think it's appropriate that we keep that odd man edge.

I'm kind of happy to see that it seems to be shaping up for VS to have slightly lower populations at the moment. It worked well for us in the first game and it will work well for us in Planetside 2. As long as general populations are high, having a few percentage points lower population just allows us to shine.

I foresee many years of calls for nerfing things like the Scythe, the Magrider, the Quasar MAX weapons, etc, even after things like the Scythe get properly balanced.
Old 2012-06-05, 09:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Troscus
Corporal

Originally Posted by cBselfmonkey View Post
Never trust an organization with a superiority complex so big it can be seen from space. Or who enjoy getting the odd telepathic mind screw from alien artifacts.
Where is everyone getting the cult stuff? I've looked around a bit, but have never seen hide nor hair of them being officially called a cult, or any mention of them believing in the Vanu (species) religiously.
Old 2012-06-05, 10:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
cBselfmonkey
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Troscus View Post
Where is everyone getting the cult stuff? I've looked around a bit, but have never seen hide nor hair of them being officially called a cult, or any mention of them believing in the Vanu (species) religiously.
I managed to convince Tom to let me keep the artifact for study, and to learn more about what I had felt that first time I had touched it. I studied the figurine for months while on the journey back to Earth. As time went on, I noticed more subtle changes about myself. Though the voices never returned despite all my attempts to conjure them, a purpose within me was crystallizing. A purpose that was stronger than any of my weaknesses. Maybe I should have questioned these changes more, but for the first time in my life I felt I belonged. I felt I knew why I was here.

Vanu. Vanu was my purpose; my reason for being.

I still wasn’t certain this was all real, and I hoped I wasn’t still crazy, but in an all-new and different way. I couldn’t tell my new friends any of this, of course, and in the mess that day I held nearly all of it back. Yet, they were still excited by what I did reveal. They were thrilled at the very concept of learning about a race that had no ties with humanity. As a xenobiologist, the thought of interacting with beings completely different from us is, I admit, intoxicating. Our little group is definitely filled with kindred spirits, less involved with the politics of the T.R. or the N.C. and far more aligned with Connery’s hopes for the future.
http://www.planetside2.com/news/nov282011backstory

This and I think maybe one or two other earlier backstory parts put up on the main site seem to lean towards the Sovereignty holding more then just scientific views towards the Vanu. Its not a confirmed thing, any more then inherent NC corporate corruption in the NC or absolute refusal to ever return even minor freedoms to the people in the TR. Its an inference the devs have made. Lotta wink, wink nudge, nudge.
Old 2012-06-05, 10:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Dreamcast
Major

Who said the VS are or should be ahead of the other empires?

All they have is Alien Tech...

So sure they have higher forms of technology but it doesn't mean they could use the alien technology to full capabilities.

TR and NC are using technology that has build on for a long time....Like bullets,rockets,etc........Vanu are using new tech, they still havn't reach the full potential.

So no VS shouldn't be more powerful than TR or NC
Old 2012-06-05, 10:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Antivide View Post
VS - Religion, Science
But to believe in one means you can't believe in the other
Old 2012-06-05, 10:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
Troscus
Corporal

http://www.planetside2.com/news/nov282011backstory

This and I think maybe one or two other earlier backstory parts put up on the main site seem to lean towards the Sovereignty holding more then just scientific views towards the Vanu. Its not a confirmed thing, any more then inherent NC corporate corruption in the NC or absolute refusal to ever return even minor freedoms to the people in the TR. Its an inference the devs have made. Lotta wink, wink nudge, nudge.
Granted, corporate CORRUPTION may not be confirmed, but corporate funding is. And we all know how Wall Street is, never mind Space Wall Street. But yeah, now I can kinda see it. Still doesn't mean I'm rerolling, or that I think it's true. I think that's just a clear cut example of obsession on this guy's part.

MAYBE a bit of schizophrenia.
Old 2012-06-05, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
PrISM
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Memeotis View Post
Just based on lore...
Planetside had lore? News to me.
Old 2012-06-05, 10:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
cBselfmonkey
Sergeant

Granted, corporate CORRUPTION may not be confirmed, but corporate funding is. And we all know how Wall Street is, never mind Space Wall Street. But yeah, now I can kinda see it. Still doesn't mean I'm rerolling, or that I think it's true. I think that's just a clear cut example of obsession on this guy's part.

MAYBE a bit of schizophrenia.
Obsession that seemed to come from direct contact with a Vanu artifact. Heck, earlier in the peace he talks about how his aspergers was cured, or at least helped, by it. So its clear these things have an effect on the human brain. Whether mostly positive or negative its a bit too earlier to tell but personally its reason enough to be wary of their vision of mankinds future. Especially when it so based on this tech.

And to be clear its not my goal to make anyone re-roll anything. Vanu don't look any less cool or fun the the other two Empires. Just reinforcing their not potentially any less grey then NC or TR.
Old 2012-06-05, 10:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Zekeen
Major

Weren't Vanu in PS1, lorewise, originally greedy with technology and didn't want NC or TR to have it and wanted it all to themselves? Though I guess in PS2 lore, it's the same, they don't trust the others, only themselves.

In any case. Vanu are greedy technophile archeologists who found alien tech and doesn't want the other two factions to dig it up for themselves.
Old 2012-06-05, 10:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Troscus
Corporal

Obsession that seemed to come from direct contact with a Vanu artifact. Heck, earlier in the peace he talks about how his aspergers was cured, or at least helped, by it. So its clear these things have an effect on the human brain. Whether mostly positive or negative its a bit too earlier to tell but personally its reason enough to be wary of their vision of mankinds future. Especially when it so based on this tech.

And to be clear its not my goal to make anyone re-roll anything. Vanu don't look any less cool or fun the the other two Empires. Just reinforcing their not potentially any less grey then NC or TR.
And I wasn't trying to say you were. I realize the Vanu, like all the empires, are deeply set in the morally grey area. But, the morally good side, to me, seems worth the morally bad side. Neither of the other two empires give me that feeling, so it's Vanu for me.

Also, thanks for having the common (or at least it should be) decency to have a civil discussion from two opposing viewpoints. Not every disagreement needs to be a debate.
Old 2012-06-05, 10:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
cBselfmonkey
Sergeant

And I wasn't trying to say you were. I realize the Vanu, like all the empires, are deeply set in the morally grey area. But, the morally good side, to me, seems worth the morally bad side. Neither of the other two empires give me that feeling, so it's Vanu for me.
And that is probably one of the best things that Planetside does right. You pick your Empire and fight for it. Not because they're the good guys but because they're your good guys.

Also, thanks for having the common (or at least it should be) decency to have a civil discussion from two opposing viewpoints. Not every disagreement needs to be a debate.

Last edited by cBselfmonkey; 2012-06-05 at 11:01 PM.
Old 2012-06-05, 10:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Troscus
Corporal

You pick your Empire and fight for for. Not because they're the good guys but because they're your good guys.
I might just have to sig that.

Last edited by Troscus; 2012-06-05 at 11:01 PM.
Old 2012-06-05, 11:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Zekeen
Major

And that is probably one of the best things that Planetside does right. You pick your Empire and fight for for. Not because they're the good guys but because they're your good guys.
....................................... but we all know the New Conglomerate are the real good guys!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion