PS2 Download. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where chia pwnz joo
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-21, 10:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
FINALCUT
First Sergeant

PS2 Download question.

O.K. So I did a search and found a thread on the PS2 download size but found no definite answer. Just a lot of guesses. For anyone that took part in the techtest. How big is the download ?

This should not violate the NDA by telling us how big the file is but if for some reason this is an NDA breech please disregard and delete this post. Maybe a dev can jump in here and tell us please. Some of us are on a limited usage plan and knowing this will come in handy so we know what to expect for an over usage charge.

Thanks.

Last edited by FINALCUT; 2012-07-21 at 10:36 PM. Reason: bad title.
Old 2012-07-21, 10:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
NumbaOneStunna
Sergeant

Re: PS2 Download.

More than 1mb, but less than 20gb.
Old 2012-07-21, 10:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
FINALCUT
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by NumbaOneStunna View Post
Thanks. I'm glad you cleared that up. Really. Awesome of you.
Old 2012-07-21, 10:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by NumbaOneStunna View Post
I laughed.

But seriously, I'd like access TO the download, even if I can't play right now, yet I know the game is in the fine stage of constantly being updated, so I know that's rather impractical... though the download server might be worth stress testing too... eh? EH!?
Old 2012-07-21, 10:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

All bullshittery aside, this is one of those things like going to a Maserati dealership. If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

On a more helpful note, it's about 9 gigs, I think. A friend of mine got accepted into tech test and made some reference about it's size. Don't hold me to that number, though, I wasn't really listening to him at the time. The gist though was he considered it "big". Make of that what you will.
Old 2012-07-21, 10:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by vVRedOctoberVv View Post
All bullshittery aside, this is one of those things like going to a Maserati dealership. If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

On a more helpful note, it's about 9 gigs, I think. A friend of mine got accepted into tech test and made some reference about it's size. Don't hold me to that number, though, I wasn't really listening to him at the time. The gist though was he considered it "big". Make of that what you will.
And that's just one continent.

Most of the space is probably absurdly detailed textures and orgasmically beautiful sound effects.
Old 2012-07-21, 10:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Symmenix
Sergeant

Look at the sexy download screen
http://www.planetside2.com/download
Legit link, just add a /download from ps2's homepage if you don't trust me.
Old 2012-07-21, 10:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

Actually, I hadn't considered that... It may indeed just be the one continent. I don't know, I don't have access yet. Although, it stands to reason the download would include everything they have at present. I don't think the whole beta is going to be on just the one continent, is it? Or are they not interested in testing the continents themselves?

Yeah, I think models and the associated textures are usually the biggest part of any game part, followed by sounds. In the case of the continent, it would be a very large model, or many smaller ones :P

edit @ download link

Well... damn... That's awful simple. (just /download, that is)
Old 2012-07-21, 10:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

I just wanted to mention that you may want to change the title of this thread; since everyone is SO hyped and ravenous for Beta, having a title of "PS2 Download" might really mislead some people into thinking that the client can be downloaded, etc. You may want to change the title to "Question about PS2 Download" or something more clear in it's purpose :-)

~Zachariah
Old 2012-07-21, 10:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
FINALCUT
First Sergeant

Thank you for the answer. 9 Gig would be awesome. I am on a 20 GB plan so this would keep me from overage. Thanks.

Originally Posted by LZachariah View Post
I just wanted to mention that you may want to change the title of this thread; since everyone is SO hyped and ravenous for Beta, having a title of "PS2 Download" might really mislead some people into thinking that the client can be downloaded, etc. You may want to change the title to "Question about PS2 Download" or something more clear in it's purpose :-)

~Zachariah
Good idea,changed.
Old 2012-07-21, 10:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by vVRedOctoberVv View Post
Actually, I hadn't considered that... It may indeed just be the one continent. I don't know, I don't have access yet. Although, it stands to reason the download would include everything they have at present. I don't think the whole beta is going to be on just the one continent, is it? Or are they not interested in testing the continents themselves?

Yeah, I think models and the associated textures are usually the biggest part of any game part, followed by sounds. In the case of the continent, it would be a very large model, or many smaller ones :P

edit @ download link

Well... damn... That's awful simple. (just /download, that is)
Far as I know, only Indar is finished. They're working on Amerish, with Esamir to follow. 3 continents are planned for release. I imagine we'll see them all during open beta.

And for the record, while I don't know how SOE is setting up their terrain files, WoW's vanilla continent textures (the entire "landscape" was a single massive texture on top of a height map) were each an entire 4 terabyte texture crunched down to a much more reasonable size.

Again, I don't know how SOE tackles texturing their continents. It would actually be pretty cool if a dev came in and informed us about how big a continent file really is, including JUST the height map and texture overlay, not the buildings and other natural objects on them.
Old 2012-07-21, 10:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Xeller
Corporal

This what I heard through the grape vine:

- Current client is about 9 gigs
- May increase because indar is the only continent on the client
- Also speculation that a lot of low rez textures are being used to keep the client size down

Last edited by Xeller; 2012-07-21 at 10:46 PM.
Old 2012-07-21, 11:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Roy Awesome
First Sergeant

The E3 leak was 11.4gigs. That was with 3 conts (and the other two were not done)

Originally Posted by Littleman View Post

And for the record, while I don't know how SOE is setting up their terrain files, WoW's vanilla continent textures (the entire "landscape" was a single massive texture on top of a height map) were each an entire 4 terabyte texture crunched down to a much more reasonable size.

Again, I don't know how SOE tackles texturing their continents. It would actually be pretty cool if a dev came in and informed us about how big a continent file really is, including JUST the height map and texture overlay, not the buildings and other natural objects on them.
(The following post does not break NDA because I'm not in techtest, all this information was gleaned from the e3 leak)

Models take up the most space, by far. There is alot of 3d art in this game. Really.

The world terrain data is split into chunks, ordered by detail level (3 lod levels). They all had decreasing filesize, so this guess seems accurate. This is the second largest chunk of data. They are not heightmaps. This seemed to be vertex data.

The textures are tile based, and it's a differed renderer. That means a few things.

1) Textures size is smaller than something like wow. This is because you can reuse texture data across the map.

2) there are atleast 6 textures per material. Diffuse, Color, Specular, Normals, and a few other I'm really curious to know the techniques on.

There is alot of texture data, but it's all being reused.

Last edited by Roy Awesome; 2012-07-21 at 11:21 PM.
Old 2012-07-21, 11:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
stargazer093
Sergeant

8.7G
Old 2012-07-21, 11:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Poser
Staff Sergeant

Max Payne 3 was 35gb
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion