Battlefield 3 - Close Quarters Expansion - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's whats for...well, you can't really eat it.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Old 2012-03-17, 04:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Tom Peters
Master Sergeant

Re: Battlefield 3 - Close Quarters Expansion

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
Maps like Grand Bazaar and Seine Crossing are just about the only maps I play anymore nowadays.

I just hate how you cant do shit about vehicles unless you are an engineer, which I just about never am. Might look forward to this, but if the maps are anything similar to Metro, then no thanks. I do love Grand Bazaar very much though.
I agree with you, I like Siene Crossing and Grand Bazaar, those maps are legit. Metro is just BULLSHIT spam where there's literally 1 of 2 ways you can go.

Although I disagree about your point with vehicles. M320's (with extra grenade perk) makes medics a very decent anti-vehicular force(from the rear, anyway).

Support has C4, and Engineer speaks for itself.

Recons are the only ones who can't really do shit to vehicles.
Old 2012-03-17, 02:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Hamma
PSU Admin

Why don't they just call this expansion what it is?

Battlefield 3: CoD

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-03-18, 09:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post

^this

Its silly....

god i cant wait for planetside 2
Old 2012-03-18, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

BF: COD, whatever. The games are pretty dissimilar in mechanics.
While I do like the vehicles, I also like the more up close and personal/urban maps. Crossing, Karkand, Sharqui, Market. This just dials that up a notch.

The next DLC contains the biggest map they've ever had. So whatever.
I also find it highly amusing how butthurt people get over BF3

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-03-20, 07:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
JediADo
Private

That's exactly what it is.
Old 2012-03-20, 09:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
What's wrong with that? Granted the game is called "battlefield" because it's suppose to a battle that takes place in a field, but I see nothing wrong with attempting to pull some CoD players over into their game with an optional DLC. Their engine supports it, the mechanics are GREAT fun in close quater combat on Metro (except for the damned spam) and I for one can't wait to play BF3:CoD
What's wrong with it for me is a gamer is there is no originality in the industry right now. Everyone is just repeating the same exact things to rake in money.. no real innovation.

Old 2012-03-20, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Coreldan
Colonel

Maybe, but I have to say that except for the spawning and killcam overriding menus, mechanicswise BF3 is extremely good and nice to play. Getting to play with those mechanics in scenarios other than the "good ol BF" style maps (which Ive learned to hate cos I hate tankwhores ) is nice.

I already mentioned though that the trailer looked a bit too close combat for my taste and I prefer something like Grand Bazaar and Seine Crossing more, but still. I don't have any problems with this expansion. I might not get it though, cos as an uni student money doesnt grow on trees.

Also, they have at the same time confirmed two other expansions, of which at least one is very vehicle oriented with "the biggest maps BF has ever had", so even if I was a big BF fan, I wouldnt mind this expansion.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube

Last edited by Coreldan; 2012-03-20 at 09:17 AM.
Old 2012-03-21, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info

I was extremely upset when Dice/EA Announced this. This is not COD!!

Vehicles Please...sighh
Old 2012-03-22, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

What's wrong with it for me is a gamer is there is no originality in the industry right now. Everyone is just repeating the same exact things to rake in money.. no real innovation.
Sorry, Hamma but I've got to call bullshit on this, or severe nostalgia goggles. Talking blockbuster titles, perhaps, those have always existed in some form or another, but overall the gaming ecosystem is more diverse and interesting than it's ever been.
Systems like Steam, PSN and XBL Indy Games, and just the plain old internet.

Just of the top of my head, some stuff in the last year or so:
Bastion
Journey
Minecraft
Even bigger stuff like Portal 2, LA Noire, Deus Ex, ME3 offer mixes of innovation, style, story and familiar mechanics.

I don't think there's been a better time to be a gamer.

(this is the same fucking argument people make about any given media all the damn time, old movies were better, old music was better. Guess what? You only remember the good stuff, you don't bring the shit with you as a classic.)

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2012-03-22 at 11:42 AM.
Old 2012-03-22, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Hamma
PSU Admin

That's fine - but it's my opinion. Gaming is near dried up with original ideas for the game types I enjoy to play

Old 2012-03-22, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Which is what, exactly?
No offense, but the opinion doesn't seem to be particularly well thought out, or it's articulated very poorly. You've started at the whole "industry" doing nothing original. Now we're down to, "no one is original in the type of things I enjoy" which is a pretty opaque category without elaboration.

Which genre hasn't put something original or interesting out?

Old 2012-03-22, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Hamma
PSU Admin

Quality Multiplayer Online Games that focus on teamwork rather than self rewards. They have not existed for some time. I want a game I can play together with all my friends. I don't want to play on a Console.

You seem awfully bothered by this?

To me the industry has been unoriginal for some time. Shoot me

Old 2012-03-22, 05:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

There are several recent team oriented multiplayer titles out there, especially on Steam. Magicka, for instance, is a barrel of (un)cooperative team-play laughs.

The idea the entirety of the video game industry is in some kind of uncreative rut is, frankly, a terrible opinion that doesn't hold up at all when you look beyond your "Quality Multiplayer Online Games that focus on teamwork rather than self rewards" category. There's more original gaming experiences out there than there ever have been.

I'm only bothered when people have poorly though out and explained "opinions".
Just because someone labels something an opinion doesn't protect it from being simply wrong or profoundly stupid.
Especially peeving is the continual insistence everyone seems to have that "things are worse than they were". With rare exception, that opinion flies in the face of objective measurement schemes.

(The most common ones are that society is dumber or more violent than it was. Both of which have been shown to be pretty much the opposite)

Last edited by Rbstr; 2012-03-22 at 05:17 PM.
Old 2012-03-22, 05:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
There are several recent team oriented multiplayer titles out there, especially on Steam. Magicka, for instance, is a barrel of (un)cooperative team-play laughs.

The idea the entirety of the video game industry is in some kind of uncreative rut is, frankly, a terrible opinion that doesn't hold up at all when you look beyond your "Quality Multiplayer Online Games that focus on teamwork rather than self rewards" category. There's more original gaming experiences out there than there ever have been.

I'm only bothered when people have poorly though out and explained "opinions".
Just because someone labels something an opinion doesn't protect it from being simply wrong or profoundly stupid.
Especially peeving is the continual insistence everyone seems to have that "things are worse than they were". With rare exception, that opinion flies in the face of objective measurement schemes.

(The most common ones are that society is dumber or more violent than it was. Both of which have been shown to be pretty much the opposite)
If you could reinforce your well thought out opinion that there ARE several co-operative multiplayer games that are creative and unique, please. Just list em'. I'm very interested in these games as I've been bored to death by the current industry and I could sure use some fresh, new games to play.
Old 2012-03-22, 07:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Magika is an example. Personally, I find ME3's multiplayer/co-op to be quite fun and certainly different than the usual shooter MP, but I suppose that's not a game to buy for the multiplayer. Realm of the Mad God looks to be interesting, but I haven't tried it yet. Alien Swarm was fun and Co-op and free a while back. Back a little farther there was Borderlands - Co-op and a bit unique. Whether or not you like any of those is a matter of opinion. You may find all of them deficient in some way. This really isn't the point I was making.

The argument is this: "The industry" is not synonymous with "The one specific kind of game I want to play". It's about precision.
Saying the industry as a whole lacks creativity is silly. You don't find Bastion or anything from That Game Company creative? Looking at Bioshock: Infinite, you actually see nothing but a rehash of Bioshock? (admittedly the later hasn't been played, but they're doing a good job of pulling the wool over our eyes, if it is)
Saying no one has made a unique FPS co-op game that I enjoy in some arbitrary time frame is another thing entirely.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2012-03-22 at 07:58 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion