FIREFALL - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: a division of UPS
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-03-04, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
brinkdadrink
Corporal

FIREFALL

I didnt know about the two other MMOFPS games coming out till just now. I didnt look at the bungie halo game because honestly just to much halo over the years and cant do it but i was watching the videos on this game.

Guess its called FIREFALL and looks like it can take a lot of people from PS:N
http://www.firefallthegame.com/
The second video makes me want to play it. Looks like a Borderlands game just MMO.

This is free to play aparently at the end of 2011. I only throw this on here to show that planetside needs to be good especially if its monthly paying. This game has open world battles but what it doesnt have (I think) is PVP but not sure.

(didnt want to post this in monthly feed thread to throw it off)
Old 2011-03-04, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Aractain
Major

Re: Planetside competition

Its sounds like Bungies will be more of a tanks tanks tanks (world of tanks, can't think of any FPS that do this now) style game (arena matches with an overall stratergy/ownership interface/motivation).

Firefall looks, as you said, like Borderlands Online - if its more than just some repeative missions then it could be awesome.

LOL Derek Smart LOL But for those people who actualy like his 'games' then Line of Defense is something... I guess.

None of them have what Planetside offered, but I don't think every one who played Planetside did so for 'massive battles' (many did, probably everyone on this forum - not really the new players required for a healthy game).

PSN has to be better than just Planetside: Fixed.

Last edited by Aractain; 2011-03-04 at 04:36 PM.
Old 2011-03-04, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
CutterJohn
Colonel

Firefall looks like a good game if you want more RPG elements and NPCs to shoot. I will definitely be giving it a go. The combat looks like it will succeed where borderlands failed.. It is very hectic. Borderlands just mostly decided it would ramp difficulty by upping hitpoints. Plus, jetpacks always rule.

That leg armor is retarded though.

Bungie I worry will make the game like Halo, which, while an ok game, is one I never really got into for MP.

Sony is still in the lead for me, with both PS and MAG experience to go off of when making PSN. PS for the scale, MAG, because it showed me they know how to do a decent job on infantry combat right rather than the very poor showing of PS.
Old 2011-03-04, 05:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Raymac
Brigadier General

FireFall looks like a pretty cool game, and I was getting amped about it....and then Smed showed off the new Vanguard and I said, "FireFall who?" While it has some similarities to Planetside, it's going to be a totally different animal.

Derek Smart, I didn't really know about this guy until recently and he is the very definition of a total douche. Even if that guy came out with a game that was Planetside set in the Star Wars world and paid it's players $90/hour to play, I still don't think I'd touch it.

As for the Bungie MMOFPS, I'm wondering just how much MMO it's really going to be when they are talking about their new and improved "matchmaking" software. Either they are going to be incoroprating eHarmony into the game, or only it's lobby will be MMO. 64 vs. 64? Thats cute.
Old 2011-03-04, 08:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Miir
Malvision

In eight long years not a single other developer has created a new MMOFPS.

At this point I'm skeptical that there will be another game developed (by someone other than SOE) that will compete at the same level as planetside.
Old 2011-03-04, 08:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Traak
Colonel

PS at its worst is still better than all other games at their best, to me.
Old 2011-03-04, 09:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Bungie is making an "MMO Action game", don't assume FPS just yet. I think Bungie is very capable of doing something other then a FPS, and I hope they do.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2011-03-05, 03:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Evilmp
Master Sergeant

Firefall looks..

not great. I'm not a fan of the graphical style, nor the "RPG" elements (defend against NPCs). third person also sucks (it seems as if you can play in third person, that's what I don't like)

I saw the cinematic quite some time ago, and just now saw the gameplay walkthrough up to the thumper. didn't read anything.

I think PSN will deliver where those two cannot.
Old 2011-03-05, 03:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

The options for new MMOFPS games are:
  • PS2
  • Firefall
  • Tribes Universe
  • Halo MMO
  • Huxley

PS2 and Sony have proved they can do it, and I hope beyond hope that they stick with the 2 special features of PS; 200+ battles and no bullshit character statistics that make it impossible for a vet to fight a new player.

Firefall looks to be all about the PvE and character levelling on a relatively small scale; lame.

TU is going to be a serious contender I hope, remember that some of the original PS devs were Tribes developers (no idea if they have original tribes or even PS devs working on it, but its the large scale of the maps at least which gives me hope, along with the vehicles).

Halo MMO I again hope will be like PS; it could be fantastic if they put the same quality levels into the game. I loved driving Warthogs, imagine a squad of them!

Huxley has dropped off the radar, but its apparently limited itself to 64 player fights, which is a damn sight better than GA (unless GA has upgraded without me knowning).
Old 2011-03-05, 08:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
I SandRock
Sergeant Major

Firefall is nothing like PS. It's mostly PvE and it's only small group matches.
Old 2011-03-05, 11:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Hamma
PSU Admin

Moved to General Gaming.

I would agree it doesn't look like FF will be anything like PS at all.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-03-05, 10:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Bungie's new MMO can't be related to Halo in any way. They've said they want to start something new on their own. Anything Halo related will be created by Microsoft owned 343 Industries because it's totally their property. But just because Bungie is awesome, I can't wait to see their new toy.

and I think Huxley is all ready released, The9 distributes it in Korea I think
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2011-03-05 at 10:36 PM.
Old 2011-03-07, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Just for the record, PlanetSide's competition is anything that someone who would play PS is playing instead of playing PS. That does include WoW incidentally.

Old 2011-03-07, 09:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
The options for new MMOFPS games are:
  • PS2
  • Firefall
  • Tribes Universe
  • Halo MMO
  • Huxley
firefall=/=planetside
halo mmo=fake
huxley= DNF status( the offical website still says the release date is Q1 '09)
Old 2011-03-08, 08:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yea that Bungie MMO thing is rather amusing, a hoax? haha.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion