FIREFALL - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: A psu a day keeps the trolls away
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-12-12, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Grummz
CEO RED 5 Studios

Re: FIREFALL

Originally Posted by Siantlark View Post
So whatever happened to the December launch of the store?
Our beta tests showed us we just weren't ready yet.
Old 2011-12-12, 04:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Atavax
Private

Is there a part of the game you find yourself spending a disproportionate amount of time playing?
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-12-12, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Grummz
CEO RED 5 Studios

Originally Posted by Atavax View Post
Is there a part of the game you find yourself spending a disproportionate amount of time playing?
Yeah, when we demoed open world at PAX, we were testing it in the lab at the office. We were playing it all the time for fun, even after testing, leveling our battleframes.

In case anyone isn't familiar with Firefall, I've attached some vid links here:

http://vimeo.com/31869187
http://vimeo.com/30882906
http://vimeo.com/14628833
Old 2011-12-12, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Love that Dreadnaught video. Really shows how Firefall could be Borderlands on steroids. I love all the different abilities/gadgets
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-12-12, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Grummz
CEO RED 5 Studios

Cool! Glad you liked the Dread vid. According to beta testers, he's a little OP at the moment.
Old 2011-12-12, 05:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Grummz View Post
We don't call it an MMO because we feel people just start to think that our combat is action-bar based. It's not. It's a shooter first and foremost. Because we have PvE though, I guess if you use the same standard to measure Planetside and Firefall, Firefall is just as much an MMO as Planetside is. We just didn't want to confuse people about the nature of the combat.

LOL about the old GF.
Thanks for taking the time to respond! Here's to FireFall and Planetside 2 changing the world of gaming.

Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-12-12, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Grummz
CEO RED 5 Studios

Planetside was one of the inspirations for Firefall. We played PS a lot on the WoW dev team. We really feel that the time is right for these types of games.
Old 2011-12-12, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Here's a secret...Firefall was designed from the beginning for open world PvP. All our tech is built this way, and all our designs have this in mind. We also have many, many test maps that feature over 100+ players fighting. We just wanted to focus on getting the e-Sports and PvE stuff in place first.
Oh damn, that's pretty sweet.

That brings up some questions.

Planetside avoids fears of "ganking" by
A) making the entire game designed around constantly trying to kill other players and
B) by backing everyone up with an entire third of the population being on their side, to help them out in the fighting.

How will Firefall get around fears of ganking in an open world PvP environment? Will there be a few major sides that Armies will be able to ally themselves with, or will you just have to depend on your Army mates and friends to watch your back?

Will open world PvP be heavily focused on killing and getting killed by other players as a central gameplay focus, like a larger scale version of the more instanced PvP fights? Or will it mostly be focused on the PvE elements with the added danger of getting attacked by Players? Or, striking more of a middle ground, will it be a pretty equal blending of the two?

Cheers for the outreach. You are a massive credit to your organization.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-12-12, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Grummz
CEO RED 5 Studios

Open world PvP isn't just a free for all, for sure, but we're not announcing details right now. I can say that it will be blend of PvP and PvE objectives. For example, resource collection in our game is done by "thumping" which is calling down a drop-extractor to mine Crystite. As it fills up, it attracts creatures who try to attack it and destroy the resources you collected. It's quite possible that other players could detect that and try to steal those resources.
Old 2011-12-12, 06:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Open world PvP isn't just a free for all, for sure, but we're not announcing details right now. I can say that it will be blend of PvP and PvE objectives. For example, resource collection in our game is done by "thumping" which is calling down a drop-extractor to mine Crystite. As it fills up, it attracts creatures who try to attack it and destroy the resources you collected. It's quite possible that other players could detect that and try to steal those resources.
Interesting. Yeah, I figured some of that stuff may not be ready to be revealed, but the fact that you are paying attention to making sure it isn't just one big free for all mess is very reassuring.

I guess I tend to like to give developers the benefit of the doubt when they seem to be on the ball.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-12-12, 06:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Grummz
CEO RED 5 Studios

I know its a vague answer that anyone can give, but I'll let you judge for yourself when we discuss it next year.
Old 2011-12-12, 06:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Bittermen
Sergeant Major

Wow awesome!

Firefall looks like a sexier version of global agenda! I'll be dumping some time into this game.

Last edited by Bittermen; 2011-12-12 at 06:41 PM.
Old 2011-12-12, 06:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Raymac
Brigadier General

I know its a vague answer that anyone can give, but I'll let you judge for yourself when we discuss it next year.
This is the Planetside forum. We are used to fairly vague answers.

Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-12-12, 08:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Grummz
CEO RED 5 Studios

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
Well I am officially hyped and I think this will be an awesome tide-me-over game until Planetside 2 releases.

Desigining it for PVP first and moving on to PVE elements seems like a pretty good idea, would definitely add for expansion later on.

The Offset engine and specifically the game Project Offset was one of my SUPER highly anticipated games, then fucking Intel bought it and canned it... I immediately starting buying AMD and ATI products. The cool shit about the Offset engine was it's awesome ability for motion capture files to to be imported on your model in game and incorporated directly into the engine without the use of Maya or Blender.

Thanks for coming by and talking man, hopefully we will see an open beta in the next couple of months!

Edit: One more question. How exactly do you judge your community in terms of inviting them to beta? Prior Alpha / Beta expeirence? Application of some sort?
Basically the more active you are in the forums and the more you contribute to the community, can increase your chances. We set aside a pool for these, and also a pool for random draws.

The other way is that we give current beta testers their own invites to give out on a periodic basic, just like Gmail.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-12-12, 08:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Grummz
CEO RED 5 Studios

ROTFL!

Everytime Smedley and I meet at a con I always ask lots of planetside questions...and sometimes I get more than vague answers!

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion