Dust 514 - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Begging on the streets to support the trolls.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Old 2012-03-21, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Clueless
Private

Re: Dust 514

Ultimately, they are both games: nothing we do in either title will matter

I am curious, how does EVE the game 'change' where as PS2 will not? It is being developed by a company, it is patched and expanded like a regular game, etc. I would say the thing that differentiates the two most would be the timeframe of play.

In PS, if I make the wrong choice between jumping in an aircraft to help clear a courtyard to relieve pressure on the players inside, or jumping in MAX armour to help reinforce the defense at the back door, we'll lose the base. This can happen in minutes.

In EVE, if I make the wrong decision in either jumping in a logistics ship to support the fleet, or a combat ship for more focused DPS, we could lose the battle, then a POS, then a system. This could take hours, days, or even weeks. POS's lost will be rebuilt, and stations remain static and are flipped.

But I digress..

Dust 514. Jumping on the, "I was excited for it till it was announced PS3 exclusive", wagon. So sad.
Old 2012-03-22, 11:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Yeah, no, you're right, EVE and Planetside are totally the same.
Old 2012-03-22, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Clueless
Private

Not saying that at all. Just curious about your viewpoint and looking for some discussion.
Old 2012-03-22, 01:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Nothing like this will ever happen in Planetside 2. Nobody will care about stuff they lose, whether it be bases or towers or entire continents, because it won't have any real impact. To get really great, emergent gameplay you need players to have a lot of control over the game, and to be invested in their assets within the game. Planetside 2 will have neither of those things, so it will never be competition for EVE, whether they add in space combat of some kind or not.

But, again, that's fine. Planetside 2 is about just go around, shooting guys and just a fun FPS experience. It doesn't pretend to have anything deeper than that, and it'll do just fine without it.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-03-22 at 01:38 PM.
Old 2012-03-24, 01:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

One Universe. One War.
Old 2012-03-24, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

I saw the stream of the Dust keynote and it looks alright. I haven't seen any of the "what impact will this have" stuff, but in general it seems to have a lot of variety of skills and equipment and so on. Plus, having persistent mercenary corporations which fight for isk and then use that isk to fight even better next time with more advanced hardware is a cool concept.

On the other hand, it's still a console FPS.
Old 2012-03-24, 04:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Hamma
PSU Admin

Pretty much nailed it there

What excites me is the merging of two games.

What is probably the lamest thing they could have done is make it exclusive to consoles. I'm not so sure how that will play out in the longrun.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-03-24, 10:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

I laughed inwardly when the developer from CCP boasted about having 7 years worth of skill development for characters in the game. How long is it before the next Playstation comes out, and Dust 514 is eclipsed by games designed with better graphics and overall capabilities? I think they must be planning to bring it to PC not long after they've got it out the gate, as its longevity as a mainstream console title will be substantially less than the longevity of EVE.

Although, really, making console players compete against PC players in an FPS title would basically cement its place as a dead entity on consoles. So what's the plan here? They make the game something that will interest Playstation 4 players despite being several years old and a generation behind? They do this for long enough to keep the Dust 514 element within EVE active for as long as EVE is around? Or do they simply wash their hands of it all once the Playstation 4 is out and people really lose interest in it, assuming they don't lose interest even before then?

The entire thing, honestly, seems like such a fuck-up. It's like someone who is totally disconnected from the process looked at the numbers, saw that console FPS games sell well, and directed CCP to make a console FPS game, period, regardless of what kind of sense it made.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-03-24 at 10:59 PM.
Old 2012-03-24, 11:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Something to consider: Reports from early testing indicate that DUST supports keyboards and mouse attatchments on the PS2.

Orbital bombardment is to be tested on SISI. Indications are battleships, dreads and quite possibly even Titans will be able to target planetary fights.

As for planetary infastructure, theres a number of unimplemented things that didn't make it into Tyrannis that related to PVP and general player interaction that were cut from the final delivery.
Might not want to call it completed just yet.

Last edited by p0intman; 2012-03-25 at 12:05 AM.
Old 2012-03-25, 12:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
duomaxwl
Captain

I'd give it a whirl if it wasn't console exclusive.
Old 2012-03-25, 07:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Yeah, ditto on that.

Have they talked anymore about the part where hi sec Dust 514 is basically pve?

Old 2012-03-25, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Warhound
Corporal

Lovin the look of this game. Finally will get some use out of the ps3 I own.
Old 2012-03-26, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
HELLFISH88
First Sergeant

I'm really excited about Dust and it's ingenious mechanics. the New trailer is the best CCP has ever produced and if you visit their youtube channel you will see that is not an easy call. The only thing which concerns me is the graphics. They are nice but not amazing. Forgelight wipe's the floor with it so far.
Old 2012-03-27, 03:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e92Wpt7_RV8#t=21m07s

THOSE LAUNCH CODES:

B00M

I love CCP. And Stoffer.
Old 2012-03-28, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Tigersmith
Major