PSU: No this isn't IRC.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Old 2011-11-19, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Zulthus
Colonel

Re: ST:TOR

Pretty much EVERY MMORPG nowadays is an easymode shitfest. EQ was the only "real" one, IN MY OPINION. After WoW and EQII everything got some shitty cartoon-graphics overhaul and playing solo is the best way to level. Raids are shit with like what, 25 players max? You could have 70+ in EQ, it actually felt massive. The graphics are BETTER than any modern MMORPG because they are dark, gritty, medieval, etc. All games nowadays look like fucking Free Realms. Grouping in EQ is fun because to survive, you can't all just be a warrior, you need a healer, slower, CC, tank, and normally two DD classes to play effectively. Teamwork is fun, promoted, and needed to advance far in the game. That is why I have been playing EQ since 2002 and never looked back. I tried WoW for the trial, I quit after three hours. I couldn't stand it. Quests are stupidly simple and unfun. Anyway, that's my two cents.
Old 2011-11-19, 05:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
^^^
I know what you mean. I think the massive battle issues for games like EQ2 and WoW has been the graphics. They designed the game without massive battles in mind due to the graphics engine being used along with trying to scale the game for many people to play, according to what most people had for systems to play on. When these games came out they had the latest graphics but there was an issue with developing massive battles with the use of the updated graphics. So the games weren't designed with that massive battle mindset. Just a guess. Dark Age of Camelot had massive PvP keep battles and it was really fun. Other then the travel involved from keep to keep. I'm hoping these next iterations of MMOs can now do the massive battles with great graphics!
Old 2011-11-21, 04:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

...EQ was the only "real" one, IN MY OPINION...
You meant Ultima Online, surely.

Old 2011-11-21, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
You meant Ultima Online, surely.
Nope. I played Ultima Online, I know it came out before EQ. Guess what? Meridian 59 was the FIRST MMORPG, that doesn't mean it was fun. Neither was Ultima, again, IN MY OPINION, if you couldn't see it before. EQ revolutionized everything they did and made it better, while still adding new things. Grouping and raiding, namely. As I said earlier, so many MMORPGs that has been released in the 21st century has shitty, half-assed cartoon graphics that makes it seem like you're playing a game meant for five year olds. Again, in case you missed it, this post is IN MY OPINION.
Old 2011-11-21, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Nope. I played Ultima Online, I know it came out before EQ. Guess what? Meridian 59 was the FIRST MMORPG, that doesn't mean it was fun. Neither was Ultima, again, IN MY OPINION, if you couldn't see it before. EQ revolutionized everything they did and made it better, while still adding new things. Grouping and raiding, namely. As I said earlier, so many MMORPGs that has been released in the 21st century has shitty, half-assed cartoon graphics that makes it seem like you're playing a game meant for five year olds. Again, in case you missed it, this post is IN MY OPINION.
"Hello, this is Captain Obvious, we are cruising east at 36,000 feet. A headwind is slowing us down a touch, but we should be completely over Zulthus' head very soon."

Old 2011-11-21, 06:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Zulthus
Colonel

I must not be catching what you're throwin'..
Old 2011-11-22, 06:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

just got my beta invite *dances*
Old 2011-11-22, 07:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by krnasaur View Post
just got my beta invite *dances*
x2

Anyone recruiting ?

@ Zulthus

I never played EQ, but I played EQ2 shortly after release. That game was even dumbed down hugely over the years I played it. It went from my friend's and I combo with a Wizard/Paladin having a hard time with groups (depending on size of course) to my sucky Paladin years later after a resub soloing them with ease. I do think there should be more of a focus on team work with MMORPGs instead of being just a single player one till end game raid content.

Last edited by Goku; 2011-11-22 at 07:24 AM.
Old 2011-11-22, 09:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

I am the Dark Lord for the Dragon Wolves. We'd love to have you along. We are definitely focused on teamwork over single player success. Plus, Hamma, Manitou, ThroneBeast, Jennyboo and a lot of other PSU posters are playing the beta too.

Empire: Sith
Server: Going for RP-PVP to stay away from all the Analkyn, Pawadame, OBWAN Kanobi character names and teenage asshats that will populate the PvE, PvP servers.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread

Last edited by Sentrosi; 2011-11-22 at 09:17 AM.
Old 2011-11-22, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

whats the difference between RP-PvP and normal PvP?

EDIT: and yea defiantly it would be cool to run with you guys ill fill it out

Last edited by krnasaur; 2011-11-22 at 10:32 AM.
Old 2011-11-22, 10:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Crator
Major General

Server types and PvP rulesets

There will be four different server types in Star Wars: The Old Republic. Here's how they work generally, and details on how we're dealing with roleplaying (RP) servers:

PvE (Player vs Environment) – Players will have to manually flag themselves if they wish to engage in PvP outside of designated Warzones and Open World PvP areas.

PvP (Player vs Player) – Players are automatically flagged for PvP outside of the designated 'safe' areas (such as Origin Worlds, Capital Worlds, and the Republic/Imperial Fleets; see below for more info).

RP-PvE – Players are encouraged to roleplay and act ‘in-character’ while playing on an RP-PvE server. Players must manually flag themselves if they wish to engage in PvP outside of designated Warzones and Open World PvP areas.

RP-PvP – Players are encouraged to roleplay and act ‘in-character’ while playing on an RP-PvP server. Players are automatically flagged for PvP outside of the designated 'safe' areas (such as Origin Worlds, Capital Worlds, and the Republic/Imperial Fleets; see below for more info).

The pre-launch Guild Headquarters currently allows you to select between three different server types for your guild: PvE, PvP, and RP, which will determine your server placement during Phase 3: Deployment. During Deployment, we will be placing all eligible guilds that select 'RP' onto RP-PvE servers by default. If a guild wishes to exist on an RP-PvP server, they will need to create their guild manually on a new server once they reach their Capital World (Dromund Kaas or Coruscant) and create their guild.

The decision to make RP-PvP servers an option for players was made recently, which is why the choice was not available in the Guild Headquarters to start with. We apologize for any inconvenience this causes, but we hope you are as excited as we are to be able to choose this option for your guild in the game at launch.

PvP server rulesets

We also wanted to expand on what the PvP server ruleset means in The Old Republic. The obvious overarching rule is that in general, if you see a player of the opposite faction, you may immediately engage them in combat.

The exception to this rule is sanctuaries, which are large areas where PvP may not take place, regardless of whether you are flagged or unflagged for PvP. Examples of this are the Origin Worlds (Tython, Ord Mantell, Hutta, and Korriban), the Capital Worlds for both sides (Dromund Kaas and Coruscant), and the Republic/Imperial Fleets.
Old 2011-11-22, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

EDIT: and yea defiantly it would be cool to run with you guys ill fill it out
RP just means more mature. Doesn't mean you have to RP.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2011-11-22, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
RP just means more mature players flock to those types of servers because the kiddies don't care to RP. Doesn't mean you have to RP.
Fixed for you, I think.
Old 2011-11-22, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

Oh ok, good, I'm not going to fashion my own hemp robe and carry around a plastic light saber. sorry. :P
Old 2011-11-22, 01:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

PvP is a generic Open-RvR server. RP-PvP is a roleplay-centred Open-RvR server. The differences are largely cosmetic - that is, player-related. Generally PvP servers are populated by: people who think anything RP is retarded, average trolls who think they are hardcore, griefers and gankers, guilds that pay homage to 4chan or Goon Squad/SomethingAwful, and people who don't want to be labeled as carebears. RP-PvP servers are typically populated by: people who want casual PvP because the RP servers are not as thickly populated, mature players who want to roleplay in-character, and PvP fanatics who don't want to deal with kiddies, pubbies, jerks, trolls, spammers, and assholes - the reason for bold text is for what follows. As Spectre noted, RP is not required.

For more information on the latter (the bold text), see THIS THREAD (link). At present, several thousand players and over fifty guilds have signed up to go RP-PvP. Most of these guilds have well over 50 players each, some several hundred.

Black Widow Company will be going RP-PvP.

Last edited by Firefly; 2011-11-22 at 01:06 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion