PSU: Home to Hamma, Or "Hammer" as Marsman puts it
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Old 2012-06-16, 12:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Luieburger
Sergeant

Re: Console FPS's - why?!

I had a long rant written up and it felt really good, but I decided to distill it down to a few basic points.
  • Most console gamers are casual gamers, and most casual gamers don't understand PC gaming. (Keyword "most")
  • FPS games are fun, so naturally people want to play them on whatever platform they have.
  • Console gamers don't care about the crumby controls because that's what they're used to.
  • Console gamers don't know any better. They grew up with clunky controls and mostly horrible games, how could we expect them to understand our world?

Was Goldeneye 64 an awesome game? HELL NO! Everybody just said it was awesome because they had never played Doom, Quake, Unreal, Half Life, mods for any of those games, etc... When Halo came out, it was "ooooohhh sooo awesome" but hardly anybody knew that the game was initially designed for the PC (Macintosh in fact).

All of the success that console FPS games enjoy can be traced back to one thing. PC FPS games. The controller doesn't matter except to those of us with refined tastes.

In closing...

Last edited by Luieburger; 2012-06-16 at 12:42 AM.
Old 2012-06-16, 12:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Luieburger
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
I don't own a single console or a TV, but I do own a computer and I usually upgrade every 2-4 years. I get all my non-game entertainment through hulu and netflix (the wife and I have plenty to watch, and actually kinda like not having normal TV to watch).

If you add up the cost of a decent TV + sound system for it, plus the monthly TV bill, plus the console(s)... it can't be that much better than my computer + netflix costs.
Yep. The fix for everyone is simple.
  1. Ditch the cable box, DVD player, Blue Ray Player, Consoles, subscriptions, fees, etc...
  2. Plug the PC into the TV/sound system
  3. Set up a desk next to the couch or in front of the couch with a wireless keyboard and mouse
  4. Profit
Old 2012-06-16, 03:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Luieburger View Post
Was Goldeneye 64 an awesome game? HELL NO!
There's nothing I detest more than revisionist history.

"Console Action Game of the Year"
"Console Game of the Year"
"Interactive Title of the Year"
"Outstanding Achievement in Software Engineering"

GameRankings 95%
Metacritic 96%

Edge 9/10
Game Revolution A-
GameSpot 9.8/10
IGN 9.7/10
N64 Magazine 94%
Gaming Target 9.2/10
Gaming Age 9.1

There is literally no objective measure by which Goldeneye wasn't awesome. Subjectively, all you needed was a couch and 3 friends and all of a sudden a weekend melted away into a screaming, laughing fragfest. Maybe you just didn't have these experiences to share? If not, I feel genuinely sorry for you.

The problem with the "PC Gaming Master Race" is that it has no sense of perspective or humility. If I went onto auto enthusiast forums and talked down every mode of transportation that had a worse sprint to 60mph than my own, I'd be a run-of-the-mill douchebag. How members of the broader gaming community allow each other to denigrate half of the industry they allegedly love is just lost on me.
Old 2012-06-16, 03:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Nothing in the PC world will trump the ease of consoles, I'm afraid. With the extension of consoles into the social and streaming media worlds, they're covering all of the mass market bases. I went over to someone's place yesterday and the only piece of hardware they had was a PS3 and, yet, were doing everything they wanted. TV, movies, gaming, and internet and all of it without having to worry about compatibility and drivers and component upgrades and the rest of the headaches that we, as PC owners, have come to understand.

Console gamers are like people who own cars but take them to the shop to get any work done, even little things like replacing wipers or refilling the radiator. PC gamers, at the very least, must get dirty from time to time.

As far as FPS goes, the above statements are correct. {rant}One thing I am tired of, however, is this myth that consoles don't support non-joypad inputs or that joypads somehow make people worse. The Wii and XBOX input schemes are wanting but they are trying and, with the splitfish stick+mouse, the XBOX is just as tight as kb+m. PS3 natively supports kb+m (discretion of the game dev to implement) and the Move wand gun, while gimmicky, is apparently pretty sweet as well. That and I've seen some videos of Halo players pulling off insane antics that I've never been able to do, reliably at least, even after twenty years of FPS gaming. Yes, kb+m takes less skill to get competent with but it's not the end-all, be-all of control schemes.{/rant}

Er.. but yea. Easy, cheap, popular.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
Old 2012-06-16, 07:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Meriv
First Sergeant

I think is just one word.

EASY-Friendlike

I mean is just plug and play, same reason why in the past a lot of technologies didnt got succesfull
Palm company that has even given the name to the technology went over just because "smartphones" were more friedlike
Same for Xerox the company almost didn't made it in the 80-90 because it wasn't easy to use.
Same with Beta and Vhs.
And everywhere right now companies are trying to get TV to connect and interact well with the internet for the same exact reason.
Or take apple for example it got 100% profit percentage over his hardware cost! But it is a lot more friendlike than other OS(thanks to apple consumer HP had to dump the market and i got my nice Hp touchpad wiith just 100$)for the ppl that can afform himself an Apple (think outside US pls).

The human history make all always go for a the easiest one (excluding a small percentage of the ppl) regardless of the tradeoff.
Old 2012-06-18, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
JPalmer
Master Sergeant

There is just something about the Xbox and being able to easily play with friends that does it for me. I can play Call of Duty or NHL all day with my buddies.

Everyone I know on my friend list on Live isn't retarded or casual gamers. They play a lot and own a lot of games. They know how to use a computer.

Thing is they are in a cycle. I can safely say when I was in grade school I got people hooked on consoles. I was one of the first gamers. It exploded in HS when CoD 4 came out. Everyone and there mother bought a 360. Why not a computer? Because everyone who already owned the game already had a 360 and everyone at my school wanted to play with me and those few others.

Now they mostly still play on the 360 and unless some miracle happens they will get in the same cycle with the 720 or whatever.

All Microsoft has to do is allow people to bring over their gamerscore and profile. Along with that launch a intriguing multiplayer game and boom it will start again.

Hell, why do you want them to get PCs anyways? The PC asshats hate new players.
Old 2012-06-18, 12:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
super pretendo
First Sergeant

Parents buy their 11 year olds Xbox's for christmas, not gaming computers.
Old 2012-06-18, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Console games make way more money than PC games, on average, because there are way more console gamers than PC gamers.

Console gamers who do not play FPS games on the PC will not realize how shitty playing a FPS with a gamepad is.

Dust 514 will be released with full USB keyboard and mouse support. It is built on the Unreal 3 Engine and their plan is to release with a quality of keyboard/mouse gameplay that will make PC gamers feel right at home.
Old 2012-06-18, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
therandomone
Sergeant

Everyone here already said the most obvious ones but I'll add my 2 cents. Personally, a mouse/keyboard combo will never sit as comfortably in my hands as a controller. I've grown up on consoles since the super Nintendo and eventually I got into computer games,but I think a lot of us also just grew up on consoles so we stick with what we know.

To whoever said Goldeneye wasn't a good game, you've officially lost your ability/right to judge a game because you clearly have no idea what makes it good.
Old 2012-06-20, 04:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Mr DeCastellac
First Sergeant

Think of it this way.
The Xbox is a children's toy. Almost every game released on it is immature and stupid.
The Wii is primarily used by children or casual gamers, as evidenced by the games released for it.
The PS3 is essentially an Xbox, but catered to a more mature audience.

Computers, however, are there for serious gamers. Whether you build your own or make the mistake of buying a pre-setup one, it will always exceed a console. It's a little extra work (debugging/fixing broken parts), but for a much greater reward.
Better graphics, smoother running, being able to use a decent internet browser, easier to control, et cetera.

You are absolutely right, OP. Shooters should never ever be made for consoles. A mouse will always be easier to aim with than a joystick. That's the reason so many console games have a soft lock (auto-aim) on them. That should have been a hint to game developers before it went this far.

"We're getting a lot of complaints from game testers about how they can't aim with the joystick," says Game Dev 1.
"I know! Let's make it so that the game aims for them!" replies Game Dev 2.
This isn't right. It's too late, however, for them to stop making shooters on consoles. Which is too bad, because there have been some great shooters that were made console-exclusive.
Take Vanquish for example. Ever heard of it? Probably not. It's a fairly recent shooter with excellent slow-motion and great gunplay. But almost no one has heard of it because it was PS3-exclusive. I guarantee you that if it was released for PC, it would be a smash hit.

Anyways, my rant is over, so I'll leave you with a story.
My friend is a long-time console gamer, and I a long-time PC gamer. We were talking and I was trying to convince him that he should start playing games (or at least shooters) on the PC. He inquired as to why, so I told him about how the mouse is so much easier to aim with. He started being stubborn and saying that joysticks are so much easier to use and how he could never get used to the mouse, but I persisted. "Look," he said. "It's my opinion that joysticks are easier to use."
This really bugged me. I hate it when people pass off a fact as their opinion, so it must be right. In the words of Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw (Game reviewer):
I know it's your opinion, but it's just wrong. It's like saying you like hearing someone singing completely out of tune or reading a book whose pages are covered in brown sauce.
The prologue is that he's still a dedicated console gamer. In fact, back in the day I had him play Planetside and he actually liked it a bit, and told me he wished it was on consoles. I'm hoping the epicness of Planetside 2 will be enough to convince him to get better at PC gaming.
Old 2012-06-22, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Knotz
Sergeant

Honestly, playing on the 360 is much more comfortable... If I could play PS2 with a controller I would... But I guess I'll just have to get used to M&K
Old 2012-06-22, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by maradine View Post
There is literally no objective measure by which Goldeneye wasn't awesome. Subjectively, all you needed was a couch and 3 friends and all of a sudden a weekend melted away into a screaming, laughing fragfest. Maybe you just didn't have these experiences to share? If not, I feel genuinely sorry for you.
Unless someone picks Oddjob

I agree with elfailo, it really does come down to keyboard and mouse offering better control and precision, atleast from my point of view.
That's not to say that console FPS' can't be great, which there are plenty of examples of.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2012-06-22 at 04:25 PM.
Old 2012-06-22, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Mr DeCastellac
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Knotz View Post
Honestly, playing on the 360 is much more comfortable... If I could play PS2 with a controller I would... But I guess I'll just have to get used to M&K
They will probably have an option to plug in an Xbox controller. Most games do. You'll be way less accurate with your aiming, but if you like it better, so be it.
Old 2012-06-23, 12:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Symmenix
Sergeant

I hate how people call consoles "clunky"
I seriously don't see clunky on my ps3. (I do on xbox, sadly)
Old 2012-06-23, 10:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
AirFell
Private

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
The problem is always input. Analogue controller sticks work a lot better than digital ones, but it's never going to be able to match the speed and precision of a mouse, and thus a whole range of particularly faster, more aggressive games, become impossible on the platform. Epic tried it with UT3, but they ended up with a hollow shell of what UT used to be. After 2 years of patching it was still obvious that the game wasn't designed with mouse users in mind.

The mouse isn't optimal either by the way. It's still only 2 dimensions of input. There needs to be a 3-d input device that is affordable and as practical and sensitive as a mouse. The problem with current motion sensing tech is that there is no tangible feedback from it (besides the images on screen). A mouse is moved across a flat table/mousepad, and because of the friction that offers, you're able to control it - you can 'stop' it dead. That just can't happen when you're moving your hand through thin air, nobody has that kind of stability in their muscle control, not even the world's best mime.

Some company came up with this thing years ago:

People are trying, but I don't see this thing in particular working. It looks weak and unstable, you will never be able to move it around as tightly and aggressively as a mouse. Besides that, it's too complex to manufacture. Nobody's going to spend €300 on a piece of equipment that no game supports properly.

Whoever cracks this is in for making a lot of money.
Touchscreens. Imagine an FPS that way.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion