PS2 confirmed to only have servers in one area of USA - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You are too sober to enter.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-12, 07:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Re: PS2 confirmed to only have servers in one area of USA

Originally Posted by Jownzorz View Post
Guys, its 2012. If you're having ping issues when connecting from East coast to West coast or vice versa, purchase the faster internet option from your ISP.

I live in South Florida and I have no issue playing on West Coast servers. Heck, even when PS1 released, I picked Markov, not paying attention that it was a West Coast server. I don't understand where the issues are coming from. Why can't you play with 100-150ms?

I'm sure they will have the servers in Texas for the US and the EU servers somewhere in Ireland.
Damn, this thread is full of misinformation.

More bandwidth from your ISP does not equal lower ping times. Bandwidth and latency, two entirely different things.

And as I posted above, latency doesn't even really matter either, it's jitter. This whole discussion is ridiculous. If I could put you all through a WAN Networking 101 course this thread would be dead in a minute.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2012-06-12, 07:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
This. It's a FTP game. It's supposed to have a low barrier to entry. If everyone needs a $1200 PC and a $300/mo internet connection, not many will play.
exactly, people are used to playing FPS games with low pings, you make them have 150ms, its gonna be terrible for them. I can play with upto 250ping in a CSHD/CSHP shooter, but its not exactly smooth at that point and you're at a severe disadvantage.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-06-12, 07:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Bazilx View Post
If I lived in Australia I would have started tunneling my way to the mainland by now, if only to get away from the spiders.
lol, mainland, we're not all playing from Tassie. :rofl
And the spiders arent that bad so long as you check your shoes before putting them on each morning.

Somewhere on the west coast will be fine.
We use to do ok during the Tribes comps over there but the US always struggled on the return leg in our backyard.
Old 2012-06-12, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Dreamcast
Major

Ok the only game lately that I have played on servers has been League of Legends.

and distance does make a difference......

My friend lived around LA where the LoL servers at and he got around 8 ping...I live around 300 miles away and I get 35 ping.

I can just imagine people living in new york lol.......Still 100-150 ping isn't that bad on LoL, it might be bad on a FPS tho lol.

Im Glad I live kind of near San diego..U mad?

If the game is a hit they might make a server in the East.....Doubt it tho since League Of Legends didn't and they dont care lol.
Old 2012-06-12, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
RedKnights
Sergeant Major

I used to get 16 ping on emerald compared to 120'ish on Gemini.

750% is pretty serious bizzness
Old 2012-06-12, 07:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

I give up on you guys. I get paid to tell people who pay the company I work for millions of dollars how to configure their WAN infrastructure for their branch offices across the US and the world, and I'm ignored on a thread where everyone is freaking out about fictitious ping times.

I'll say it again. Latency doesn't mean much. Jitter is what is going to screw with your game. Often one accompanies the other but they are not the same thing. And more bandwidth will do nothing to make your ping times lower.

Old 2012-06-12, 07:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
I would think then the shortest distance means going through the fewest carriers and least risk of jitter. So there is a point in favoring smaller distances. In my case Time Warner Cable of NYC in the last few years have upgraded their high speed so it's less of a joke. So it is good to know, that will help. Thanks for the jitter post.
This is true, less hops means less opportunity for you to hit some overworked WAN link or device where your packet is going to be delayed. But they're not the same thing.

You could have 200 ms ping time but if you don't have any jitter your game will be reasonably good assuming the algorithms used to calculate your position, bearing etc are accurate. I can't speak to that since I'm not a game programmer but I've read about it and apparently it's pretty high tech stuff.

Think of it this way. A constant stream of positional data is going from your PC to a server. The server keeps track of the latency on the connection and takes that into account when a packet from a shooter arrives saying it's fired a shot at you. It does a whole bunch of maths to determine where the shooter was at the time the trigger was pulled and where the target was and decide if the hit happened.

If the stream of data is constant, it doesn't really matter how much delay is involved. But if the data comes in via fits and spurts, there's a lot of guesswork left to the server to estimate where you were and fill in the gaps.

That produces those "WTF man I totally shot him" moments.

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2012-06-12 at 07:51 PM.
Old 2012-06-12, 07:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
theres going to be lag compensation, so it won't be that big of a deal

chicago/dallas are perfectly playable here in los angeles
theres lag compensation in PS1, its still shit to play with a high ping.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-06-12, 07:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Electrofreak View Post
This is true, less hops means less opportunity for you to hit some overworked WAN link or device where your packet is going to be delayed. But they're not the same thing.

You could have 200 ms ping time but if you don't have any jitter your game will be reasonably good assuming the algorithms used to calculate your position, bearing etc are accurate. I can't speak to that since I'm not a game programmer but I've read about it and apparently it's pretty high tech stuff.

Think of it this way. A constant stream of positional data is going from your PC to a server. The server keeps track of the latency on the connection and takes that into account when a packet from a shooter arrives saying it's fired a shot at you. It does a whole bunch of maths to determine where the shooter was at the time the trigger was pulled and where the target was and decide if the hit happened.

If the stream of data is constant, it doesn't really matter how much delay is involved. But if the data comes in via fits and spurts, there's a lot of guesswork left to the server to estimate where you were and fill in the gaps.

That produces those "WTF man I totally shot him" moments.
Even with hit prediction coding though, you still run into problems when playing at a high ping or like one layman put it here "wall hacks" there's also issues with kill packets arriving after other peoples even though yours was really first.

I also imagine there willbe still all sorts of issues with getting in vehicles, implant activation or reloading since that will require server authorisation, again putting people with a higher ping at a disadvantage.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-06-12, 08:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Ohanka
Private

Originally Posted by RedKnights View Post

there is virtually no difference between a ping of 16 and a ping of 120.
Old 2012-06-12, 08:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Figment
Lieutenant General

Lol Ireland servers xD The world is not THAT bad.

EU servers will either be in Amsterdam (Netherlands) like before due to big internet hub and good US connections there, though more likely Germany or Austria due to ProSieben.Sat1 and them trying to reach eastern Europe this time too.

At least the f2p market can reach the east of Europe due to lack of subscription deterent.
Old 2012-06-12, 08:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Phellix
Sergeant

Originally Posted by RedKnights View Post

joke?
Old 2012-06-12, 08:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Phellix
Sergeant

Guess what? Nobody knows where the server is yet so quit crying about it.
Old 2012-06-12, 08:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
Even with hit prediction coding though, you still run into problems when playing at a high ping or like one layman put it here "wall hacks" there's also issues with kill packets arriving after other peoples even though yours was really first.

I also imagine there willbe still all sorts of issues with getting in vehicles, implant activation or reloading since that will require server authorisation, again putting people with a higher ping at a disadvantage.
It doesn't matter which order the "kill packets" arrive in when calculation is done to take into consideration what was happening at the time they were transmitted. What DOES matter is when errors in calculation result because an accurate calculation can't be made due to missing data.

These are UDP packets we're talking about here. There is no round trip. There is no confirmation needed before more data is sent. Regardless of latency, the stream of positional data continues at the same rate. You could have tons of latency and it won't matter. What matters is the consistent rate of that data arriving at the server.

You can argue with me on the subject if you wish, but you'd be wrong, I can assure you.

Either way, you all can panic about it, or wait until Beta and find out. Crying about it now is pointless, and unlike most other things on this forum, there's little liklihood that complaining about it now, before the Beta, will change anything.

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2012-06-12 at 08:10 PM.
Old 2012-06-12, 08:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Electrofreak View Post
It doesn't matter which order the "kill packets" arrive in when calculation is done to take into consideration what was happening at the time they were transmitted. What DOES matter is when errors in calculation result because an accurate calculation can't be made due to missing data.

These are UDP packets we're talking about here. There is no round trip. There is no confirmation needed before more data is sent. Regardless of latency, the stream of positional data continues at the same rate. You could have tons of latency and it won't matter. What matters is the consistent rate of that data arriving at the server.

You can argue with me on the subject if you wish, but you'd be wrong, I can assure you.

Either way, you all can panic about it, or wait until Beta and find out. Crying about it now is pointless, and unlike most other things on this forum, there's little liklihood that complaining about it now, before the Beta, will change anything.
When you take posts out of context, you can make anybody wrong.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion