What is up with the performance of Planetside 2? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Be cool, Stay in school
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-12-10, 09:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Miffy
Sergeant

What is up with the performance of Planetside 2?

Seriously I have 6 cores and 6 threads, there is one core at 90%, 3 others are like 20-40% and the others are doing nothing. Yet the ALT+F says I'm CPU bottlenecked? The game shows as using 19% of my CPU........???

So my GPU usage is odd because MSI Afterburner shows the usage at 99% for both cards under SLI. I have no idea why the usage is so high for both? Not even BF3 has usage that high :\ I'm using the latest official drivers, which are the latest as no beta driver has been released since.

My FPS is around 80 at the warp gate but like 35 anywhere else but my usage never drops apart from when it is loading? What is going on? I swear when I had SLI off my usage was like 40% for a single GPU, I'm using 680SLI.

My Ram usage is 2.5GB Ram and I have 16GB and Windows only uses 2.6 atm when the game isn't running, so no chance of it being a ram issue lol. I'm also running off an SSD so it isn't like the lack of transfer speed from a HDD or anything......

I don't get why performance sucks.
Old 2012-12-10, 09:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Alareth
Private

Re: What is up with the performance of Planetside 2?

It's DX9.

DX9 was written before the proliferation of multicore cpu's and wasn't designed to use them. If there were DX10 or 11 versions of the client a lot of the cpu bottleneck issues would go away.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-12-10, 09:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
CyclesMcHurtz
PlanetSide 2
Coder

Originally Posted by Alareth View Post
It's DX9.

DX9 was written before the proliferation of multicore cpu's and wasn't designed to use them. If there were DX10 or 11 versions of the client a lot of the cpu bottleneck issues would go away.
DX9 does have a few big differences in the threading model and other architectural changes but to say that using DX11 would "fix" things is vastly oversimplifying the issue.

[Sent from the outskirts of the Oort cloud]
Old 2012-12-10, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by CyclesMcHurtz View Post
DX9 does have a few big differences in the threading model and other architectural changes but to say that using DX11 would "fix" things is vastly oversimplifying the issue.

Question: Why DX9 in the first place?
Old 2012-12-10, 10:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Question: Why DX9 in the first place?
This I guess. Though I doubt many of those systems can even run this game TBH.
Old 2012-12-11, 06:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
RSphil
Contributor
Major

iv seen alot of these post and tbh i have no problems. 130+ fps and during huge fights down to around 40 ish fps. i have a 6 core at 4.4ghz. most cores work at around 20% some peak to 30-50% sometimes.
game runs fine and no problems, bar the odd screen flash then i have to restart game.
Old 2012-12-11, 07:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
rTekku
Sergeant

Give this a shot.

Old 2012-12-11, 08:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Chefkoch
Sergeant

Originally Posted by rTekku View Post
Wow thanks will try that
Old 2012-12-11, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Honestly the real bottleneck isnt so much the cpu as it is the memory, thats why you dont max out your multiple cores but still show as cpu limited. Its very important to get the fastest memory your system can support.

The DX9 thing sounds good if you think it supports more people, but as has been pointed out, if you cant run DX10 or 11 then your system really cant run the game anyway, atleast not at anything but lowest settings, low res, and not in big fights. You may lose more people due to the lower performance than due to not having DX10+. and yes i know just using DX10+ will not solve the performance issue, but it would help.

Can't wait for the seperate DX10/11 client at some point. WoW did it, and many others do too, so its really not a huge deal.

Although to be honest the performance is at the bottom of my list of problems with the game, i dont even hardly play much anymore. Just doesnt have the suck you in and make you never wanna quit feel that PS1 had, feels like more battlefield and that never stays fun for more than a few weeks or a month or two.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.
Old 2012-12-11, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
duomaxwl
Captain

Even my new i5 would drop to below 30fps (though barely) before I o/c'd it to 4ghz.
I heard from somewhere that January is going to have a nice optimization patch, I guess only time will tell.
Old 2012-12-11, 11:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Its fair to say dx1o or 11 would make for a game that ran much better for everyone with a modern computer.
Old 2012-12-11, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Alareth
Private

Originally Posted by CyclesMcHurtz View Post

Let me ask this, quite a few games offer the choice of different DX versions when launching. Is this something that will be possible for PS2 in the future?
Old 2012-12-11, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Voodeux
Private

Originally Posted by duomaxwl View Post
Even my new i5 would drop to below 30fps (though barely) before I o/c'd it to 4ghz.
I heard from somewhere that January is going to have a nice optimization patch, I guess only time will tell.
I'd love to read more on this if you can remember where you read it and could drop a link.
Old 2012-12-11, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

My performance is fine...why do you ask?

Ps.

Voodeux wins the "Creepy Sig. Award"
Old 2012-12-11, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
duomaxwl
Captain

Originally Posted by Voodeux View Post
I'd love to read more on this if you can remember where you read it and could drop a link.

Twitter and I don't get along, so I had to copy and paste, but there it is.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion