Our concerns made it to PCGamer.com - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: /me waves goodbye!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-01-03, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
yadda
Private

Re: Our concerns made it to PCGamer.com

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Your concerns reached us long before PCGamer.

We haven't stopped listening to the players. Major changes have been the result of player feedback in Beta. Sunderer AMS, 12-man squads, adjacency requirements, generators, tug-o-war capture mechanics, and walls on amp stations, just to name a few. Those were all a result of player feedback. Honestly its the best dev interaction and response I'd seen in any game even before I was hired. Nothing has changed - we're still listening and we understand your concerns.
Please, please, please relay the concerns about team play and kill whoring discrepancies. I wish killing was just a means to an end rather than the entire point. I feel like playing a support engineer is just doing community service.

Average day without double exp I can score 20k exp/hr in a mag, average day driving a sunderer and babysitting the combat front I'm lucky to get anywhere near half that. These are with boosts and minus double exp weekend, of course. Which one am I more inclined to do?

edit: I should also add, people often TK sunderers now if they want your spot. It's bad.

Last edited by yadda; 2013-01-03 at 03:19 PM.
Old 2013-01-03, 03:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
unAimed
Private

Major changes have been the result of player feedback in Beta. Sunderer AMS, 12-man squads, adjacency requirements, generators, tug-o-war capture mechanics, and walls on amp stations, just to name a few.
You are correct for most of these posts - but tug-of-war? Hell no! I think most people would have preferred the ps1 system of "hack and hold".
Old 2013-01-03, 03:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

We haven't stopped listening to the players. Major changes have been the result of player feedback in Beta. Sunderer AMS, 12-man squads, adjacency requirements, generators, tug-o-war capture mechanics, and walls on amp stations, just to name a few. Those were all a result of player feedback. Honestly its the best dev interaction and response I'd seen in any game even before I was hired. Nothing has changed - we're still listening and we understand your concerns.
Malorn-

Do you at least have a tentative date when Smedly is going to provide us that January Update with a time line he mentioned back at the begining of December??? I also requested the next "Command Center" focus on future changes and vision for PS2, T-Ray replied "Easy enough".

Just looking for an approximate "when" we can hear something now that the team is getting back from the holidays??
Old 2013-01-03, 03:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I think his post is spot on.
I don't know. I agree with a lot. I don't agree with the meatgrinder thing which kind of contradicts what we've been saying about lack of defendable bases.

And KDR. I think we've just got to live with that, it's there and people will play to maximise one and minimise the other. That's human nature.

The problem is that there's nothing else. When the point comes that the meta-game arrives and therer is a reason to fight beyond KDR then it will (hopefully) be different.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-01-03, 03:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I can't comment on the exact things that will be worked on. That is for Matt and Smed to reveal. Smed posted in a December state of the game that a plan is coming in January for players to provide feedback.
Old 2013-01-03, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Hamma
PSU Admin

Things are still pretty quiet at SOE. I'd suspect we will start hearing things mid January in this regard.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-01-03, 03:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by VaderShake View Post
Just looking for an approximate "when" we can hear something now that the team is getting back from the holidays??
I hear Matt, T-Ray, and Smed occasionally use twitter. You could try asking them.
Old 2013-01-03, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

I figured as much. I look everyday for an update on whats going in next patch. No more speculation or 6 years "wants list". While I watch my outfit roster have less and less people on.

I can only be personally entertaining for so long!

Plans won't cut it I think, action is needed.

Also, Please pass this around.

http://www.planetside-idealab.com/index.shtml

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2013-01-03 at 03:23 PM.
Old 2013-01-03, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Rockit
Banned

I hear Matt, T-Ray, and Smed occasionally use twitter. You could try asking them.
Or try email, it works for me.
Old 2013-01-03, 03:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Tweeter sent!
Old 2013-01-03, 03:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Rockit
Banned

I can tell you this without revealing too much. Those folks across the street from SOE understand consoles will butter their bread.
Old 2013-01-03, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Rockit
Banned

Learn this...

Old 2013-01-03, 03:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Yadda said;

"Average day without double exp I can score 20k exp/hr in a mag, average day driving a sunderer and babysitting the combat front I'm lucky to get anywhere near half that. These are with boosts and minus double exp weekend, of course. Which one am I more inclined to do?

I should also add, people often TK sunderers now if they want your spot. It's bad."

Yadda hit it pretty much on the head for me. I do think the WHINING is at Critical Mass. I still hold onto the idea that Smed & Hig are true fans of PS1. Ultimately, the proof is in the pudding. Changes need to be impemented asap to turn gameplay towards a more compelling play style.
I remember that PS1 got VERY Boring ..... but it took two years and BFR's to bring on my malaise.

I want PS2, not PS1. There's much to be done, and time is of the essence. Improve base design. Provide a LOT more real estate for Infantry to conquer & hold & fight over - real estate which is predominantly free of MBT & Air SPAM. Allow for complete Continental-Lock, so there's more "End-Game" feel for those who need it. Don't punish the losers - reward the winners - but don't go OP with the perk(s) for a Cont-Lock. (I always liked being able to pull a Mag for my empire - they look better when not in Purple Spandex)

Also, I think the old AMS with "Cloaking" was better. We still could sniff them out, but (in hind sight) the cloaking helped minimize spamming. Sundy's are big ol' beached whales....

Last edited by Chaff; 2013-01-03 at 04:01 PM.
Old 2013-01-03, 03:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Vertigo
Private

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
I don't know. I agree with a lot. I don't agree with the meatgrinder thing which kind of contradicts what we've been saying about lack of defendable bases.

And KDR. I think we've just got to live with that, it's there and people will play to maximise one and minimise the other. That's human nature.

The problem is that there's nothing else. When the point comes that the meta-game arrives and therer is a reason to fight beyond KDR then it will (hopefully) be different.
That is the main problem. People log in and go out to kill, not to capture and complete objectives. It is a mindset that needs to change, or this will continue to be an academic exercise. As for the matter of meatgrinder vs. defensible base(s), I believe the attacker does NOT want to capture the base in most cases. If they did, that would stop the farming at that location and thus, reduce their kills / xp. That is why you see dozens of vehicles blasting the crown, but not moving in to take it. Even if they have the overwhelming numbers to do so, there is no incentive to finish the fight.

-Someone brings out a single aircraft, within a minute you see dozens of AA MAX units and skyguards pop up like a horde of parents fighting over the last barbie doll.

-Anyone repairs the turrets, and you have a dozen MBTs dialed into that exact spot and you are lucky to get a couple shots off before it is destroyed again. Then they wait, not for the engineers to get there, but for them to finish repairing. Even if they have clear line of sight to take them out, they wait for the guaranteed xp.

-A lone light assault jumps up on the top of the tower and starts jumping around to kill people. Not to distract from the ground assault, but just to get the kills. If they get taken out, it really does not matter because they probably got a few people before someone got them.

-A couple guys get in and start capturing a point, not to finish the fight, but to ambush the people coming to respond.

From my experience, most of the time, the defenders get tired of the siege and leave, or someone finally gets the zerg distracted enough that they move on. For the most part, only the outfits that really want to capture the base will do so, or the zerg will just roll over it. I have not yet witnessed a scenario where the defenders were able to wear down the attackers enough that they were forced to withdraw. Not that it has not happened, but I believe it is the exception and not the rule.
Old 2013-01-03, 04:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
infinite loop
First Sergeant

This is all well and good, and this fact kept me encouraged about the future of the game. That said, these changes you mention are mostly the low-hanging fruit and grossly ignore the significant problems with the game as highlighted in Buzz's thread. Most of the topics he covers have been at the top of the list of 'must-dos' since early in beta and nothing has been done to address any of them. Alot of us, myself included, are heavily invested in this franchise, both financially and emotionally and want to see it succeed. The lack of any progress towards resolving these core issues has left my hope dwindling and seen my playtime plummet. I fear the next big "update" will simply be more trivial/cosmetic and do nothing to save this sinking ship.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion