The problem of "weight": infantry movement lacks it - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Do not take internally
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-10-20, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
SturmovikDrakon
First Sergeant

The problem of "weight": infantry movement lacks it

This has been a personal problem of mine ever since I started testing two months ago, and I'm kind of surprised no one else has touched upon it

I don't know if this is an animations problem, weak audio or the lack of camera sway, but movement in first person feels weightless

Someone on the official forums made a video comparing the alpha animations and current ones

Personally, I feel the alpha animations not only had more weight behind them, but they also felt more "grounded". The gun swinging also looked a lot smoother, to top it

I don't know how many of you find this a problem, but to me this is an immersion factor that's missing, especially after playing "GASP" Battlefield 3/Warfighter

Just my opinion, that if they're going to try and emulate AAA shooters they might as well learn from the best (in terms of movement/immersion)

Last edited by SturmovikDrakon; 2012-10-20 at 12:39 PM.
Old 2012-10-20, 01:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
dorgo
Corporal

Thumbs down Re: The problem of "weight": infantry movement lacks it

The alpha movement was far better now there is just too much of it, in real life a soldier would not have his weapon sway like that...

Change it back please DEV'S........
Old 2012-10-20, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
PClownPosse
Private

Re: The problem of "weight": infantry movement lacks it

Lol Evilpig.

From what I've briefly seen, the current animations and movement in general seems a bit sluggish to me. Maybe I'm just not use to it.

One thing, though, and maybe it's not related to this, is that when I first tried this out a few days ago, mouse movement/aiming seemed really sluggish and "laggy." Not sure what recent patch changed this, but my mouse lag is gone. Anyone else experience this?
Old 2012-10-20, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
SturmovikDrakon
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by PClownPosse View Post
Lol Evilpig.

From what I've briefly seen, the current animations and movement in general seems a bit sluggish to me. Maybe I'm just not use to it.

One thing, though, and maybe it's not related to this, is that when I first tried this out a few days ago, mouse movement/aiming seemed really sluggish and "laggy." Not sure what recent patch changed this, but my mouse lag is gone. Anyone else experience this?
haven't had any mouse problems, no

but the point of this thread is infantry movement when walking/running, it feels like you're a floating camera with a bobbing gun. would have been fine a few years ago, but if they're trying to compete with the leading AAA shooters then they have to take a close look at how they increase immersion
Old 2012-10-20, 02:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
blbeta
Corporal

I am all for it.

I also hope for better animations in general. Although it may just be my lag that makes it look bad.
Old 2012-10-20, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

I've mentioned it a few times on the official forums. It's the missing link to creating balance between the 3 factions, and giving them a real distictive feel. NC should be slow, take more damage but hit harder. TR should be slightly more agile, take slightly less damage than NC but carry larger ammo since they use more bullets. VS should be very agile, their armor gives little protection but their agility is their defence. They shouldn't carry ammo at all, their suits are like batteries, recharge with solar power or warpgate energy.
Old 2012-10-20, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
AThreatToYou
Major

Originally Posted by GuyFawkes View Post
I've mentioned it a few times on the official forums. It's the missing link to creating balance between the 3 factions, and giving them a real distictive feel. NC should be slow, take more damage but hit harder. TR should be slightly more agile, take slightly less damage than NC but carry larger ammo since they use more bullets. VS should be very agile, their armor gives little protection but their agility is their defence. They shouldn't carry ammo at all, their suits are like batteries, recharge with solar power or warpgate energy.
TR could (because I'm not sure if things like this should happen) be, infantry-wise, the fastest in linear movement. They're all in slacks fer cryin' out loud. Plus more militarily trained in what they have. Smoother aiming when moving and more easily switches weapons and turns.

VS could be, infantry wise, the most agile but certainly not the fastest. Things like reloading, jumping, strafing and crouching could be the smoothest for VS, but all that vanu equipment is beefy and tight.

NC could be, infantry wise, the clunkiest but react the least to impacts, like footsteps, falling, and being hit. COF bloom/sway would be the highest when crouching, jumping, running. Necessarily thicker due to higher recoil of NC weapons.

my 2cents but this is not what the OP is talking about.
I don't pay attention to what the OP is talking about, too. Not sure what you want.
Old 2012-10-20, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
SturmovikDrakon
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by AThreatToYou View Post
my 2cents but this is not what the OP is talking about.
I don't pay attention to what the OP is talking about, too. Not sure what you want.
That's alright
Animation has always been my thing and I sometimes notice details that other don't
I've just been spoiled by the quality of animation and immersion that DICE and Danger Close were capable of providing with their latest games.

I just want them to be on par with them.

It's not just the weightlessness of the movement that I have a problem (NC rocket launcher reloading is extremely floaty, doesn't even grab the handle properly) with but it's the focus of this thread.

Last edited by SturmovikDrakon; 2012-10-20 at 05:22 PM.
Old 2012-10-21, 08:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
SturmovikDrakon
First Sergeant

Shame, I was hoping more people would comment on this. I guess it's not an issue for most

Last edited by SturmovikDrakon; 2012-10-21 at 08:22 AM.
Old 2012-10-21, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

I was thinking this same thing the other day. The devs really need to put some more resources into polishing off infantry animations. I think they have the basics covered pretty well but the movement to me seems a bit clunky and unnatural. I hope this gets addressed before full release.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion