There is just something so cheap about the combat. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The Other Other White Meat!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-10-19, 01:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
EVILoHOMER
Major

There is just something so cheap about the combat.

I find myself getting frustrated in this game and I want to use excuses like TTK is too fast, weapons like lock on AV are really OP especially with the amount of players and location based damage.

However my frustrations are really based on how unsatisfying death feels, I always feel like there is a bit of lag between when you die and actually visually see that you're dead which is annoying. A lot of the time I'm still trying to move and then it's like oh ok the animation kicked in, I'm dead....... wtf happened? The game just never gives you the feedback to why you died that makes the best games satisfying to play and not frustrating.

In Counter Strike or Quake 3 I know when I'm dead it's because my aim or reaction times was off and I'm happy the other player killed me. Even in Planetside if the other player killed me I always felt it was because they were either better than me or were something I couldn't beat with what I had equipped. In Planetside 2 however it always feels just so cheap and frustrating and it is so hard to explain why.

I think it is more of a combination of things really of the poor jerky animations, you see laggy players all the time like back in Planetside where if you ran up the stairs really fast. The sounds are satisfying on certain weapons, the Jack Hammer has no sound, it's like a sniper rifle. In Planetside being killed by it was satisfying because it sounded and animated like a badass. I hate how if someone has gotten onto your tail in an aircraft, it's almost impossible to turn the tables, the movement just makes it far too easy to react to their every move.

There are so many things that come together to make the combat feel rather cheap.

I love the art and how the game is slowly coming together, but I just find myself not having fun while playing the game a lot of the time.

Edit: It's funny because I've since gone back and played Planetside and I actually prefer it apart from the visual side.

Last edited by EVILoHOMER; 2012-10-19 at 01:10 PM.
Old 2012-10-19, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Tooterfish
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info
Re: There is just something so cheap about the combat.

I agree with the death delay you're talking about. I would like a more responsive feedback system, especially when it comes to my own death. I figure it is a net code thing.

The dog fighting issue you're having can be mitigated with certs that improve performance, so I don't see that being a problem. Even now, I have learned with practice to shake a guy on my tail.

The Hammer is, quite simply, an atrocity in its current state, and I'm sure they're aware of it.

I also agree with animations, would like more humanity in my humans - seems like a bunch of robots.

Read my game blog @ www.roffle.com
Old 2012-10-19, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Carver
Corporal

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
It's funny because I've since gone back and played Planetside and I actually prefer it apart from the visual side.
Well there's a shocker.
Old 2012-10-19, 04:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
ringring
Contributor
General

I agree.
The indication of being hit is, a bit wimpy. I tell no lie when I say years ago the sound of the jackhammer used to be in my bad dreams, I can't say any sound in PS2 has impressed me that way.
Old 2012-10-19, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Tooterfish View Post
The dog fighting issue you're having can be mitigated with certs that improve performance, so I don't see that being a problem. Even now, I have learned with practice to shake a guy on my tail.
Occasionally, you shake someone. Sometimes, you last long enough to get into air cover and someone else clears your six. By and large, however, if someone gets into your saddle without you noticing and opens up, you are Dead.

I don't know if this is as explicitly designed, but it's definitely how I like it.
Old 2012-10-19, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
FortySe7en
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by maradine View Post
Occasionally, you shake someone. Sometimes, you last long enough to get into air cover and someone else clears your six. By and large, however, if someone gets into your saddle without you noticing and opens up, you are Dead.

I don't know if this is as explicitly designed, but it's definitely how I like it.
^ This x10
Watch as I play various FPS titles every night from 9-12 EST
Old 2012-10-19, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Lavoieqc
Private

There is no physic engine in this game. Here is your major cause of cheap and unsatisfying feeling. And I understand you completely, but at the same time I can understand why its impossible to implement physics in a MMO. The problem is that physic is now very important in FPS, I cant stand anymore FPS without physic, make the game feels so old and cheap.
Old 2012-10-19, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

I really agree with the OP, death feedback is very poor in PS2 and it's potentially a major issue. While everyone is still fairly new to the game, it may not be too bad - but once some people get good, this is going to really put off new players.

Nobody enjoys being killed over and over without even knowing what happened or what they were supposed to do about it - and that's what new players are going to experience once the hardcore players really get entrenched.

My personal suggestion would be to make the TTK a lot longer, so people have a chance to react to what's happening - or at least figure out what is killing them and roughly from where. But clearer hit indicators and/or other feedback might also work.
Old 2012-10-19, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

I'm gonna have to say that after checking out the game I was severly disappointed with the combat. i quit playing after my third attempt trying to find some enjoyment out of it. If it remains in it's current state I will not be playing. I agree I can't quite pinpoint the issue but it does feel like 3rdworld combat to me. I told myself it was just beta but I dunno.

The light assault is way lame imo. And so is cloaking. The only fun I saw was HA and I still didn't reap much excitement.

Last edited by xSlideShow; 2012-10-19 at 06:30 PM.
Old 2012-10-19, 10:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Ratstomper
Major

Hmm. That's disappointing. I haven't gotten to play yet, so I can't say much about it besides...that sounds disappointing.
Old 2012-10-19, 10:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
SkarBlade
Private

The game can be fixed at any point after release. Reason why they make patches.
Old 2012-10-19, 10:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

I dunno, combat feels fine for me.
But what really annoys me sometimes is that stupid "bobbing" crap when you are aiming and moving near/on walls/uneven surfaces. Screws the aiming completely up, i really hope they fix that soon.
Old 2012-10-19, 10:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
SFJake
Sergeant

Well, I can say I dislike CoD or battlefield-styled games quite heavily in the first place. Its hard to say if its just how I naturally feel about this kind of combat or if PS2 just does it even worse.

It does feel worse than the last time I tried to play CoD4, anyway.

The death animation is really a big killer for me as well. The very nanosecond you die, the camera should take off behind your character so you can see yourself, along with the basic HUD elements (health, etc) turning off. This would give me instant feedback that yes, you are dead.

The whole stumbling on the side looks dreadful and is so incredibly unsatisfying.

As for the gameplay as a whole... well, look, I never considered the new era of shooters to have any clue what fun gameplay is. PS2 decided to copy it, made it worse, all to try to be popular.

Well, its bad, and it won't miraculously change in a patch.
Old 2012-10-20, 01:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

For me it's a mixture of the sprint with vehicle entrance with way the twitch feels with the way you die with the way the guns just feel when you shoot them. And I have mild issues with the HUD on the vehicles. And I think the jet packs are gay, not that they exist just the way they work is lame.
The game feels really slow but at the sametime way to fast. As in I feel I am a slug and everything can just stomp on me.

Last edited by xSlideShow; 2012-10-20 at 01:17 AM.
Old 2012-10-20, 11:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
TheBladeRoden
Contributor
First Sergeant

*dies gently onto his right side without uttering a word or scream*
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion