VS Weapons? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Who still writes these?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-10-21, 07:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Xaine
Major

VS Weapons?

I've been playing for a while, and I'd just like to gauge the opinion of the VS weapons.

After being a VS player and seeming to find that the VS assault rifles are, in my mind absolute garbage I thought I must be missing something.

I'm a light assault player mostly. The carbine rifles seem to be worse at every range than their counterparts on the TR and NC, by really quite a long way. These are the worst offenders by far, the Pulsar compact and even its sidegrade counterpart just seem to take about 50% more hits to kill people than the NC and TR weapons. I only ever use the shotgun at the moment, even after the recent (needed) nerf.

The only exception to this is the Medic's Assualt rifle which seems very good.

The Sniper Rifle is completely shit, the bolt action one is fine - but the standard one is probably the worst weapon I have used in any game, ever. 3-4 shots to kill someone, with recoil that needs you need to reset your aim.

Lets not talk about the Lasher. No idea what the fuck is going on there.

The Beamer is also just worse, I swear.

The heavy assault weapon has half the ammo of the other two, does less damage and has similar recoil.

I picked up the other two factions for a few hours, I thought it might just be me. But no, I just find it amazingly easy to kill anything with the other factions weapons, they just seem to kill people when you fire at them. Something the VS seem to have trouble with.

My K/D is about 2.2 by the way, and that's without excessive killwhoring. It might be me, but I don't think so.

Am I alone here? Is this all in my head, or are the VS weapons just sub-par.

Last edited by Xaine; 2012-10-21 at 07:58 AM.
Old 2012-10-21, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Fear The Amish
First Sergeant

Re: VS Weapons?

i agree the weapons just feel off... don't know what it is or how i would fix it though
Old 2012-10-21, 07:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Yetiee
Private

I was hopeing after buying the hades rocket launcher that the "ball of goo" would change but...no it did not.
Old 2012-10-21, 11:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
PClownPosse
Private

Does the Lasher shoot balls of death? I swear I have yet to be killed by a lasher or MCG or seen (or heard) anything resembling a jackhammer. I remember the sounds of these guns as much as the looks. I kind of hope they're distinct in this regard here as well.

The Beamer, lol. It was always fun getting the last shot on a tank and killing it with that thing.
Old 2012-10-21, 11:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Yetiee View Post
I was hopeing after buying the hades rocket launcher that the "ball of goo" would change but...no it did not.
Its an infantry sniping n00b killing deathball of extreme death and i will not hear anything against it as an AI weapon.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-10-22, 12:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rago
Contributor
First Lieutenant

K/d is not that important in Planetside i got a Kd from 600 Deaths to approx 1000 Kills, I like the VS Weapons.

The Vx6 Carbine has a Higher Firerate wich is niche even on mid distance.

Most of the Time i use the Nova and Slug Ammo, i dont need more than Middle Range, because i am most of the Time a Engineer.

What i think is useless ist the VS Max.I can kill 4-6 Persons with my Rifles with tha Max , well i would like to say 2 and im Dead, the may is a piece of Expensive trash, that does not even shoot where the Aim Goes :P

Last edited by Rago; 2012-10-22 at 12:41 AM.
Old 2012-10-22, 12:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
cooonips
Private

not sure about the other factions, but after playing heavy assault most of the time, i decided to give light assault a go. thats when i was just like wow. this guns way better than the heavy assault gun. yet to unlock any of the other guns yet, maybe its just the starting one that sucks

Last edited by cooonips; 2012-10-22 at 12:47 AM.
Old 2012-10-22, 04:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Ohaunlaim
Corporal

Made a VS character to see if it was my thing (been going NC mostly).

The anti-tank is a beast as it seems so much easier to use.

The carbines do feel very underpowered at mid range, but seem to come into their own at short range due to rate of fire and lower recoil. (They are all a crap shoot at point blank.)

All the heavy assault guns suck. Hard to gauge which sucks worse.

Sniper rifle had me laughing hysterically with the ease of use. Semi-auto with low recoil? It's my new drug. Then I discovered it can be hip-fired at point blank range pretty effectively too! The number of kills I was getting was a deep breath of specially enhanced air.

I understand the frustration (and joy, on the other side) of insta-death- headshots, but first sniper I'm certing on my NC is a semi-auto.

BTW the Magrider is crazy! I totally hope vehicle hacking comes back. I need me some Magrider action!!
Old 2012-10-22, 07:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
PClownPosse
Private

Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
The VS are fine. The pewpew pistol annoys the fuck out of me though, thats the only thing that annoys the fuck out of me though.

TR/NC can grab their sidearm with a sense of confidence. Grabbing VS sidearm is suicide.
Lol, the Beamer is true to form, then.
Old 2012-10-22, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Serpent
Staff Sergeant

Agreed, VS weapons have been all around bad for awhile now, but nothing has been done about it that would give them some more even ground.

My problem is the weapons of the VS are supposedly more accurate- which is complete BS. The HA weapon shoots EVERYWHERE at mid range, I've used a whole clip on one person using the HA at mid range and it didn't take out his shields- all of the bullets missed. I was not aiming to the side at all, the sights were ALWAYS on him, and yet... nothing. I don't know, the weapons just seem very lackluster and always have been. I would be happy if the Lasher was given a decently sized buff, then I would be happy as our infantry would have a slightly better chance in general.

That turned into a rant. Sorry :P
Old 2012-10-22, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Realmofdarkness
Corporal

a energy weapon should have no recoil at all. in mot a physics but energy should also travel in speed of light. so my point here would be, VS weapons should have low dmg but no recoil and superfast ammo. in return maybe you would have to keep the what I call 'Laaaser' from like sniper rife on target for a while to let it burn though the shield and armor. that would give the target the time to hide.
Old 2012-10-22, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Fazed
Corporal

Originally Posted by Realmofdarkness View Post
a energy weapon should have no recoil at all. in mot a physics but energy should also travel in speed of light. so my point here would be, VS weapons should have low dmg but no recoil and superfast ammo. in return maybe you would have to keep the what I call 'Laaaser' from like sniper rife on target for a while to let it burn though the shield and armor. that would give the target the time to hide.
How would you balance something with no recoil, no bullet drop and light speed flight against normal firearms?
Old 2012-10-22, 12:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Dragonskin
Major

Originally Posted by Fazed View Post
How would you balance something with no recoil, no bullet drop and light speed flight against normal firearms?
The balancing seems a little wonky to me. Correct me if I am wrong, but to my understanding NC has more damage and TR has a faster fire rate. Both of those factions suffer from bullet drop which can be compensated for by the player.

VS has no bullet drop and lower recoil, making them more accurate. They also seem to have the smallest mag size. They have lower damage and seem to have lower fire rate.

Generally in most games I play if you have hard hitting weapons then you have lower mag size to balance. NC has higher mag size and higher damage.. the accuracy is negable because a player can compensate for bullet drop.

TR has a faster fire rate and bigger mag size... accuracy can be compensated so your able to fire more bullets faster than VS. So the damage being lower isn't a big factor.

Anyway, I think it needs tweaking.. it's not game breaking bad. I play VS because I like the style and gameplay.. but when I play my NC or TR characters they seem to kill much faster. That's my perception anyway.
Old 2012-10-22, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Miir
Malvision

Give us laser bullet drop and keep recoil the same. But please at the least match the VS weapons accuracy and damage so it's at par with the other two empires at mid to long ranges.

VS weapons have come a long way since the start of beta. But they still have some work to do at those mid to long ranges. It's sad to say it but because of this I've switch to the Nova (shotgun) as well. I can't be bothered to waste my time trying to kill people at those other ranges. I just hide in a vehicle until I'm in a building now and then the shotgun is the only thing that matters.
Old 2012-10-22, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
HorizonBound
Private

Guys, guys, you're doing it all wrong. You're not supposed to aim with VS weapons. instead, just go Halo on everyone else. The spread is negligeable and has decent damage and a high rate of fire making the VS weapons the ultimate hipfire machines. VS HA is one of the bes classes due to the sheer spammability of the Orion (though i'd invest in the 100 round version) and the laser-like Launcher (seriously, don't even bother aiming since it goes pretty much wherever you reticule is aimed at) make it a more than potent assault class. Also, treat the launcher as your secondary, since the beamer still sucks.

Now, with the carbines, cert the laser sight thing and you can take hipfire to the extreme beacuse the reticule becomes maginally smaller than even the beamer reticule and it hardly expands when firing.

Also, on a side note, the magrider (once certed a bit) easily becomes the best all-round tank combining extreme manuverability with superior firepower. The Magrider can also equip a number of extremly potent weapon combos, allowing it to tackle anti-vehicle, anti-squishy, or a combination of both (like the base model but better). This does with some pretty severe drawbacks though, as 1)a lighning can quite literally circle around a maggie faster than it can turn 2)it cannot hit anything is there is wreckage in front 3) it is extremely easy to target its weak point, since you can tell exactly where it is aiming.

2 of thse can be negated by getting a gunner in, and with the AV faction-specific cannon, allows for (essentially) a second, turreted tank cannon with a longer reload, and less damage. Te PPA II isn't too shabby either, especially when coupled with zoom
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion