Light Assault Ammo Drop - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Spam! A well balenced meal for a troll
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-07, 05:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Nick
Corporal

Re: Light Assault Ammo Drop

Originally Posted by VanuMAXGuy View Post
Great, just what we need, more BF3 copy pasta.

Don't do ammo drops. It's a lazy cop out and you may as well just give everyone infinite ammo.
Or let's just keep in unfamiliar, archaic and old gameplay mechanics from a dead video game.

No.
Old 2012-03-07, 05:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
DaddyTickles
Sergeant

Meh.. They gotta ring some changes. I'm ok with this, its not too offensive and its not like you GOT to drop ammo.

Whatever.
Old 2012-03-07, 05:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Vash02
Major

Originally Posted by DaddyTickles View Post
Meh.. They gotta ring some changes. I'm ok with this, its not too offensive and its not like you GOT to drop ammo.

Whatever.
You do if you want to give ammo to friends.

Seriously people, just because its in BF3 we dont have to have it because its "modern".
Old 2012-03-07, 05:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
DaddyTickles
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Vash02 View Post
You do if you want to give ammo to friends.

".
And if I don't want to, thats fine, ffs.
Old 2012-03-07, 06:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Dale
Private

I think there could be some interesting gameplay if ammo drops are implemented correctly. I guess the right way to go would be to make the ammo drop skill a cert, and the amount of ammo drops limited, which could be improved upon by certing more in to that category.

This way we would not see every Light Assault trooper running around and dropping boxes left and right. Rather, we would see a important assist role arise where these agile troopers aid their teammates with ammo-runs between, let's say a Gal and a forward position in a base that is currently being raided.

For example, You and your squad mates hot drop from a galaxy in to a enemy base. You encounter heavy resistance and are forced to move in to a house for better protection. The problem is that you have a limited supply of ammo. Fortunatly, reinforcements are not too far from your position and your Gal has landed close by. To keep this forward position before being able to push forward it's important that your teammates keep having ammo to fire. So your job is to move out and get more ammo crates from the Gal and then make your way back to your squad.

An interesting counter-tactic for the defending team in this case is to flank the opponent and block incoming ammo-runs, which eventually would lead to the forward positions demise.

Similar to BF3, you will be rewarded for aiding your group with ammo and we see yet another sort of game-style you can choose in PS2.
Old 2012-03-07, 09:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
texico
Master Sergeant

I kind of like the idea - soldiers trading small amounts of ammo on the battlefield or carrying an extra box if they feel they're going to need it.

But I wish your Persona had/hope your Persona has a trade-off system going on, it'd make things feel a lot more fluid. It doesn't have to be tetris inventories, but a person really should be able to decide to carry more ammo boxes by sacrificing speed or small arms or something.

The thing is, if "light assault" has the capability to carry 3 ammo boxes, everyone will carry 3 ammo boxes, there's no reason to carry less and there's nothing you can sacrifice to carry more. Feels less natural.

Also, contrary to popular belief, because PlanetSide wasn't a massive success doesn't mean the mechanics were somehow broken.

I guarantee if you gave a BF/COD player the "inventory system" from PS1 to use in BF/COD so they could determine their weapons and ammo pool, they'd find it amazing. I'm betting that they feel their system of pre-determined equipment is limiting but they accept it as somehow necessary technologically/for balance and there's no other games at all that would give them that freedom anyway. They'd be ecstatic if you told them they could customize their load out fully and combine gear for trade-offs.

PlanetSide is a "dead video game" because SOE never marketed it, nobody has heard of it, it's full of lag and glitches and it therefore never hit the massive mainstream. The mechanics are the REASON the game is still vaguely alive after almost 9 years and there's a hard-core group of fans.

So please, if stuff is implemented/changed, it should be because it's actually awesome and the players (including the BF/COD crowd) prefer it, not just because "it was in PS, which failed, so it must be one of the things holding it back because all the modern shooters do it differently."

Maybe some polls should be conducted on this crowd to see what they would really actually think is good.

This is one of the reasons I hate what SOE did to PlanetSide 1. Everyone assumes the components of the game don't work because it wasn't a massive success. It failed because SOE screwed it up.
Old 2012-03-07, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Shogun
Contributor
General

ammo resupply has to be engineer only!

engineers are becoming more and more useless!
no need for armor repair
no ce autodefences
and now other soldiers can even resupply themselfes with ammo?

i was hoping for some ammo dispenser like in tf2 for engineers to build.

SAVE THE ENGINEER!

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-03-07, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
SUBARU
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
ammo resupply has to be engineer only!

engineers are becoming more and more useless!
no need for armor repair
no ce autodefences
and now other soldiers can even resupply themselfes with ammo?

i was hoping for some ammo dispenser like in tf2 for engineers to build.

SAVE THE ENGINEER!
This
Old 2012-03-07, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Vancha
Colonel

I'm certainly wondering what role the engineer is supposed to have in PS2. We know very little about him and so far every role they typically have has gone to other classes. What do they do?
Old 2012-03-07, 12:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

So, no longer do you need a facility, like a tower to get ammo. No longer do you need an engineer to pop down a resupply bubble. No longer will gen holds or Cap holds require sharing of resources.

With the current spawn system, just die and spawn on your squad leader fully equipped.
Old 2012-03-07, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
DayOne
Captain

So long as they are limited I don't mind.
Old 2012-03-07, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

I'd say I was slightly worried when I saw the ammo-drop ability. I'm very hopeful that it isn't BF style, wherein everyone just gets their mags back. And this is on the Light Assault character? The one who's supposed to be the fastest and LIGHTEST? (note their class name). This is the person with a giant cache of spare ammo on them? It seems like it would fit better on Heavy Assault.

But, whatever the case, I don't think any minor detail like this will be game-breaking for what is otherwise an amazingly-founded game. I don't want the Light Assault class to re-arm anyone, but it's ok. Also, I was a little worried when I watched the Gametrailers footage of "bombing run," and noticed that the Reaver had like, 600 rockets. Was that a godmode setting? I hope? o.O

~Zachariah
Old 2012-03-07, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Synapses
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by SUBARU View Post
This
You guys dont even know the roll of the engi yet... calm down. They have not stated much for what its roll is yet... Turrets we have heard, but thats really about it. Its probably still being worked on. Give it some time.
Old 2012-03-07, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
PoisonTaco
First Sergeant

What's wrong with one class (that we know of) being able to give ammo to other people in their squad? If the ammo boxes are limited you still have to go back to a terminal and resupply.

You still have a supply line and it gives the light assault something to do in order to support their team. Hell I bet if you really wanted to you could be that guy who runs around, throwing down ammo packs for people then running back to the Gal/Sunderer to get more.

In case you haven't noticed, the facilities look huge. Being able to push into them only to run out of ammo would be frustrating. You're better off dying and respawning than running all the way back to the Galaxy in order to get more ammo. Having ammo packs given out by players would help in an offensive push. It also gives some more target priority. Want the enemy to run out of ammo? Kill the light assaults.
Old 2012-03-07, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Pozidriv
Corporal

I don't mind ammo drops, but it did feel odd that L.Assault had it. Engineer does seems like a better candidate for it or H.Assault.

We can't fully judge the ammo drop mechanic since it ties so much to the pacing of the game. Those courtyards and facilities look mighty huge... gonna be needing alot of ammo to chew through all of them NC and VS :P.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion