DirectX 11? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Nerf Vanu plz.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-13, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
JHendy
First Sergeant

DirectX 11?

Keeping this very brief. Does ForgeLight support DX11? My immediate guess would be yes, as this is a new engine, the omission of DX11 today seems like it would be a pain in the arse a few years down the road when more people have capable hardware.

So, have there been any confirmations made by the devs regarding ForgeLight's API?

Clue me in!

This could be a well treaded topic which I've missed, if so, I'm sowwy!
Old 2012-06-13, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Ieyasu
Staff Sergeant

Re: DirectX 11?

I seem to remember them saying it would be directx 9 which is a bit of a letdown if it is true.

heres previous thread where they talk about it http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=40541

Last edited by Ieyasu; 2012-06-13 at 04:06 PM.
Old 2012-06-13, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
willaguy
Sergeant

I think they said DX 9 to support the gamers out there who dont have sufficient hardware.
Old 2012-06-13, 04:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Russ
Corporal

They have said dx9, though they could have dual support along the road.
Old 2012-06-13, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Sabrak
Contributor
First Sergeant

Having a Dx9 build doesn't mean there won't be a Dx11 build too.

I hope we'll have the choice, so people with older computers can run it in Dx9 and others can enjoy Forgelight in all its glory with Dx11.
Old 2012-06-13, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
JHendy
First Sergeant

I have to say, I can't see how a new engine that has been built to last for a minimum of 6-7 years can not have any DX11 features built into it. Future-proofing is key to longevity. I hope that what Sabrak thinks is on the money.
Old 2012-06-13, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Obiyer
Private

I really hope there's Directx 11 support, I have a little 7770 and games run better in Directx11 rather than 9 due to AMD drivers.
Old 2012-06-13, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
xSquirtle
Staff Sergeant

Wouldn't make much sense to just throw DX11 into the game if its been optimized for 9. It wouldn't make any noticeable difference.

Originally Posted by UrielVS
Looking from the outside in. The game does not represent Planetside. With original concepts that players across the board accepted with open arms; have been taken out. Developers are creating the next COD on a massive scale. Generic players who never saw or even felt the uniqueness of the game, will only continue to nod their heads with blinding satisfaction, not realizing what basic functionality the game will lose in the process.
Old 2012-06-13, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Hyperz
Private

Originally Posted by xSquirtle View Post
Wouldn't make much sense to just throw DX11 into the game if its been optimized for 9. It wouldn't make any noticeable difference.
DX10 or 11 would allow them to add support for stuff like MSAA though which IMHO is a must for any self respecting PC title. Especially if it's PC-exclusive. And since most of the GPU time is spend on shader calculations these days, and those are very easy to port from DX9 to 10+, you'd get a noticeable performance boost even if the game was optimized for DX9.

Anyway, I do hope we get DX10/11 support (if you implement one of those you practically get the other for free). The last DX9 high-end generation of GPU's were ATI X1950's and nV's GF 7900. I'd be VERY surprised if those cards are fast enough for PS2 without making it look like Quake 3 graphics. So what's the point? BF3 sold very well despite being not all that good and a minimum requirement of Vista + DX10...

Last edited by Hyperz; 2012-06-13 at 05:58 PM.
Old 2012-06-13, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
kaffis
Contributor
Major

I'm still crossing my fingers the game ends up being DX10/11, and we've gotten to the point where we can drop DX9 support. Even DX9c is an 8 year old API now, and DX10 will likely be 6 years old if the game hits a fall release. That means that the "5 year old hardware" target should support DX10 if it's actually a 5 year old part, and not just a 2 year old part that was purchased 5 years ago on a bargain budget.

Furthermore, anybody still running Windows XP really will have no excuse not to upgrade by the fall. Windows 8 comes out in the fall, and with XP's *extended* (read, minimal, crappy) support ending in early 2014, there isn't going to be another OS that can just be "waited out" Vista style before XP support ends. 7 is an excellent OS, and has been for 3 years now.

The advances in quality and speed offered by DirectX 10 & 11 are just too great to sacrifice in order to build an engine around DX9. It's time to take the dog out back and shoot it; it's lived a good life, but now it's just pissing all over the house and moping around in pain in its old age.
Old 2012-06-13, 07:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Reborn
Private

Yea I agree. Directx 10 and its tesselation is a must have for these games. I believe with current cards u can force MSAA on through the nvidea control panel
Old 2012-06-13, 07:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

the original was directx7 0.o

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2012-06-13, 07:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
the original was directx7 0.o
Heheh. And did not age well.
Old 2012-06-13, 07:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
Heheh. And did not age well.
It did make the giant leap to 8 but no further.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion