New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2 - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Silly Hamma, Planetside's for kids!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you like a single person mech in the game? (Please read the thread before posti
I don't like single person bipedal mechs and don't want them in the game 153 75.37%
I want single person mechs, but don't like this implementation. (Explain below) 11 5.42%
I support this implementation 28 13.79%
Other Reason (Explain below) 11 5.42%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-21, 07:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Re: New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2

Those are some great ideas Sirisan and I see you put a lot of thought into this post. And you went out on a limb to ask for an opinion from a community that has had a bad taste in their mouths whenever someone mentions mechs or BFRs in Planetside 2.

But I'm going to have to agree with most of the others here. A one-man walking tank puts too much power in one person's hands.

What if instead of just a one person mech we have a crew of three inside a mech. I'm envisioning something like Star Trek Online has. Or I think it has, as I never played the game and just going off what I though the game was about.

Role: Driver
The driver guides the mech across the face of Auraxis. The driver is responsible for the loadout of the battle system at the expense of weight. Putting a couple of Gauss cannons on the mech would make it walk slower, but putting four light guns on it would make it a faster mech. Think of the driver as Flight Engineer who's responsible for weights and balances of the aircraft.
Role: Gunner
The gunner selects and fires the weapons and can make quick repairs to the fire control systems at the expense of another system through a skill tree. (IE, diverting power from the LRM bays and into a Gauss cannon)
Role: Engineer
The engineer is responsible for the power plants and shielding units within the mech. The engineer can do quick repairs on systems that are damaged at the expense of another unit. (IE re-routing power from the left arm to the torso)Again, this would be through the use of a skill tree.

Now quick repairs would only last so long based on use. Think of repeatedly bending a piece of aluminum in half. Eventually the single piece of metal will break in two. Now if a system is completely destroyed, there would be no way the system could be used again unless the mech heads back to the nearest friendly base for a complete overhaul. This would take the mech out of the fight until the repairs are completed.

Now these three would be 'attuned' to each other. In other words, they could only operate the mech if all three are available. This could potentially cut down on the number of mechs that are on-continent at one time, as all three would have to be online. It also removes three potential soldiers from the battlefield.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2011-07-21, 07:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

Am sorry but we already have Max suites there not much different. just a lil weeker but from the sounds of it you want a BFR slightly bigger then a MAX. I say Nay
Old 2011-07-21, 08:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
1Shotwonder
Private

He has a good idea but everyone that stopped playing so because of bfrs will not agree on this its true at first bfrs were way to over powered now they are so nerfed its like a lightings armor so they aren't anything without support if they or some type of mech was put in ps how they are now they would just be another vehicle not a one man army like the original bfrs... its all about the way they are balanced and placed in the game.... and with ps2 going to have a lot of outdoor fights I think it would be a cool idea but again its all on how its put in to the game plain and simple.....but I am sure it won't be for a while if ever we do see bfrs because ps2 is like a restart of ps from the begining and making what ps was supposed to be in ps2
Old 2011-07-21, 08:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Headrattle
Contributor
Sergeant Major

I don't like Mechs because of their obvious design flaws. They are over complicated and attempt to fill the same role as a tank, which fills the role better given the same technology level.

Examples Why:
More surface area that needs to be armored, thus more weight needed to get the same amount of armor as a tank (which is essentially a box and has higher surface to area ratio.)
Legs would have to have weaker armor in order to walk around and yet, the mechs would be reliant on them to work at all. If you take out a tank tread, it can still fire. If you take out a Mech leg, it falls down and while it may not be destroyed, it won't be able to do anything. True, treads are a vulnerability as well, but treads can be more easily armored then legs.

So why bother? Just take whatever guns you wanted and put it on a tank. It would be more effective then a Mech.

Maxes and thus powersuits make sense. Essentially a small infantry like tank that has the better parts of infantry, but with the better parts of armor.

However, I will admit that Mechs are cool. But I don't think they are that cool, and I am not a fan of them being on Planetside. BFRs hurt. They didn't do all the damage, but they are a shining example of how the PS team just didn't get it. I defended every decision that they made including the BFRs, but when the reality of the BFRs struck, I lost hope. Like I said in another thread, they gave us BFRs before many of the cool things that we asked for and eventually got (and those things we asked for were cool.)

Essentially, because BFRs hurt so much and they are so much a symbol of the downfall of PS1, we shouldn't have them in PS2. Just as I wouldn't hang pictures of my ex-wife in the house where my new wife and I live.

Last edited by Headrattle; 2011-07-21 at 08:31 AM.
Old 2011-07-21, 08:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Mechs and BFRs have both become swear words in the world of Planetside, and simply mentioning a variation of one will have a vast majority of the veteran community totally against it.

We have MAX suits, this should be enough. Tanks require a min of 2 people, why should 1 man have all this killing power?
Old 2011-07-21, 09:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Hamma
PSU Admin

Great ideas but I am going to have to agree with the majority that this idea just seems redundant with what we have available and makes one person just to powerful in the grand scheme of things, ultimately making other vehicles underutilized.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-21, 09:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Redshift
Major

Mechs are a toxic brand in planetside now, the devs know putting them in would anger the community because of bfr's. You'll never see a mech in planetside again.
Old 2011-07-21, 10:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Great ideas but I am going to have to agree with the majority that this idea just seems redundant with what we have available and makes one person just to powerful in the grand scheme of things, ultimately making other vehicles underutilized.
We don't know what we have available. Just sayin..

Could easily ditch something like the lightning or fury for a small 1 man mech suit.
Old 2011-07-21, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Hamma
PSU Admin

We don't?

Pretty sure we are going to see the same vehicles make a return this time around.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-21, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Vanir View Post
Only double the armour strength of a lightning? I don't see how that could be a game wrecker. Pluse I'd assume that skilling up in this would lock out masses of other skills. Meh, I don't see a problem with this as long as it was done right.
Exactly. I imagine the same will be true for other vehicles in the game.

Originally Posted by Sentrosi View Post
What if instead of just a one person mech we have a crew of three inside a mech.
I've heard that discussion before for having a separate driver and gunner. It suffers from the same flaw as a liberator. I always wanted to control my own weapons. I was lucky with the liberator because it had a front gun.

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Skill-tree wise it sounds like vehicles in general will be able to choose between different roles, so I imagine you'd be able to choose between AI, AV, AA, pure transportation and other options (no mix'n'match), but due to it's height vulnerability and speed while walking, it'd probably be suited to a fair range. Too vulnerable up close, but too inaccurate to act like artillery.
Yeah no mix and match of the weapons. You hit it right on the head for what I was imagining as the range. I was imagining it would be difficult to attack a tank directly on an open landscape, but maneuvering around trees and such in a forest would be its optimal playing field.

Comparing it to a lightning, the mech would be slow. A lightning would actually be on part with fighting the mech ideally. I'm imagining there will be lightning upgrades if it's in the game so you have to imagine it too will have a huge skill-tree unlocking things.

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
Mechs are a toxic brand in planetside now, the devs know putting them in would anger the community because of bfr's. You'll never see a mech in planetside again.
You'd be amazed. Only a few veterans really remember BFRs when they were overpowered. I had a friend that played on and off again and played only after they were nerfed so he has no recollection of any BFR problem. I know what you're thinking "But they were overpowered before so it's a bad idea" but he honestly doesn't understand that no matter how many times I say it.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2011-07-21 at 11:20 AM.
Old 2011-07-21, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Raymac
Brigadier General

A rose by any other name is still a rose. If there is something that even reminds the Planetside playerbase of BFRs, then it's not going to be received well, no matter what. Too many bad memories.
Old 2011-07-21, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
WarChimp130
Master Sergeant

No Mech's.
Old 2011-07-21, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by WarChimp130 View Post
No Mech's.
No Mech's whats?