Flares and thermal optics - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We have 3 ranks: N00b, Vet and l33t whore
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-23, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
FINALCUT
First Sergeant

Flares and thermal optics

Any word on things like flares to go along with the other night vision assets?
I think parachute flares would be awesome as well as thermal sites. Being able to see heat signatures would add a whole new layer of tactics to this game.
Old 2012-03-23, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Eighm
Sergeant

Re: Flares and thermal optics

While I can see flares bringing something new and interesting to battles, I think the role of IR scopes is going to be filled by the combination of Nightvision and Darklight.
Old 2012-03-23, 03:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Eighm View Post
While I can see flares bringing something new and interesting to battles, I think the role of IR scopes is going to be filled by the combination of Nightvision and Darklight.
Er, as far as game goes I don't think it's necessary to distinguish between IR and nightvision...but anyway, does this mean variable day/night is confirmed?

You know what else would be interesting? If you could cut the power to bases and shut the lights off that way...forcing night vision usage...

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-03-23 at 03:21 PM.
Old 2012-03-23, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Triple A
Private

Darklight as it was in PS1 is being replaced with a Darklight Flashlight side-grade.
Old 2012-03-23, 03:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Sgt Shultz
Corporal

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Er, as far as game goes I don't think it will distinguish between IR and nightvision...but anyway, does this mean variable day/night is confirmed?
The GDC videos had a day & night cycle and Mr. Higby was demonstrating some reaver runs at night (which was a very neat dynamic). So for now yes its in the game.
Old 2012-03-23, 03:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Sgt Shultz View Post
The GDC videos had a day & night cycle and Mr. Higby was demonstrating some reaver runs at night (which was a very neat dynamic). So for now yes its in the game.
We were just talking about that in IRC and god, I hope there's not going to be automatic enemy nametags showing up when you look at enemies, especially in the dark...that's a Robin Hood feature I expect from BF3, not a great game like PS2.

For that matter I hope night actually makes it dark enough to require NVG and not just a sort of twilight-ish light even at 2AM.
Old 2012-03-23, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
DManTech
Private

Day/night is confirmed by the devs as being in the game, and they've said that the Forgelight engine can do some pretty amazing stuff in that regard.

I believe Higby said in his recent AMA on reddit that the night cycles would be variable, so some nights might not be very dark while others would be pitch black and require spotlights or NVG. If that ends up in the game I think it'd be awesome, trying to plan stealth attacks for the darkest night in the cycle to lower the chances of being spotted.
Old 2012-03-23, 04:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Vash02
Major

Flares have been confirmed. Kinda wish that nightvision wasnt in so the game wouldnt become GreenSide or B&WSide at night.
Old 2012-03-23, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
FINALCUT
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Vash02 View Post
Flares have been confirmed. Kinda wish that nightvision wasnt in so the game wouldnt become GreenSide or B&WSide at night.
I know flares were confirmed as counter measures for aircraft. At least I think I saw that somewhere,but have parachute flares been confirmed to iluminate the battlefield ?
Old 2012-03-23, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Vash02
Major

Originally Posted by FINALCUT View Post
I know flares were confirmed as counter measures for aircraft. At least I think I saw that somewhere,but have parachute flares been confirmed to iluminate the battlefield ?
Yes, I meant illumination flares. I dont know if they will have parachutes or not. something to ask Higby.
Old 2012-03-23, 11:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
DaddyTickles
Sergeant

Don't forget that as well as DL you will also get infra-red night vision as well. Probably a more affordable option and more prone to being countered by flares or flashbangs.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion