News: Massively Interviews Tramell "T-Ray" Isaac - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Better than sex. Well, fat sex atleast.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2011-10-03, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Raymac
Brigadier General

Re: Massively Interviews Tramell "T-Ray" Isaac

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
First off, I think you're underestimating the raw power of modern GPUs. What we're seeing in screenshots clearly won't be representative of the play experience on the lower end of the system reqs, but it's well within the capabilities (with a good engine) of something like a GeForce 580, I'd estimate.

However, the reason I cut out this part of your post is, be careful you don't go overboard with a brand-spankin' new, bleeding edge video card and pair it with an aging CPU. Recent game engines work the CPU a lot harder than ones, say, 10 years ago did.
Thanks for the advice, and you're right. I don't want to go too overboard with a new GPU, because my CPU isn't great, but it's not bad either. (AMD Phenom II x4 955) I've been gradually leapfrog updating my CPU and GPU, so I'll probably lean towards getting a GPU that is on the upper end of what my CPU can handle. I just really hope my CPU isn't junk by the time PS2 gets released.

The reason I'm kind of concerned, and Higby has said it a number of times himself, is that making an MMOFPS has got to be hard or else we would see more of them. When you add in the hundreds or thousands of players all on the same map, it's got to be taxing on any rig, right? I really want to be pleasantly surprised, but it's almost feeling like it's too good to be true. One rule I live by is, if it sounds too good to be true, then it is. Just trying to keep my ever growing expectations in check.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion