Mines staying active when switching class - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Lasher..Catnip for Vanu
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Should mines be kept?
Yes, until log off, if not indefinitely 59 47.97%
Yes, but only for a limited time like ten or twenty minutes 22 17.89%
No, they should poof immediately, or in a very short time. 47 38.21%
Optional: Getting into a vehicle should be the same as switching classes for the purposes of mines 2 1.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-09, 06:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

Re: Mines staying active when switching class

I voted yes forever.

However. You didn't seem to put a "you can cert to make it so" option.

I would like if keeping them forever was at least a Engy cert.

With mines. You are taking time out of whatever else to plant those mines. Just because they don't have instant effects (like shooting someone would.) doesn't mean they should be treated as something that shouldn't stay till its effect happens.

You spent the time planting those mines. They should stay till they finish their use.
Old 2012-04-09, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
kaffis
Contributor
Major

This is something I believe needs to be decided after some play, and definitely not before figuring out how deep it is in the spec tree.

If it's fairly shallow, mines definitely should not be persistent. If it's deep, mines may or may not be tolerable as a persistent deployable.

The reason it didn't get out of hand in PS1 was simple: certing engineer/advanced engineer was a long-term decision. And by the time BR40 was allowed, the air vehicles were eclipsing the ground vehicles anyways.

In PS2, spawning as an engineer is a short-term decision. Thus, if mines are available without speccing (making that long-term commitment to trading off power/playstyle elsewhere), then you'll see people spawning to their "off-focus" engineer, dropping their deployables about, and then spawning as their "real" class and playing with all the power of that class, with the benefit of engineer fortifications (we shouldn't just be talking mines, here!) backing their empire up, too.

If it's deeper in the tree, I'm more sympathetic to conceding that if you spec hard to get a bunch of deployable engie toys, your commitment is there and when you spawn as your "off-focus class" to help fill gaps in your empire, your hard work half an hour ago shouldn't be penalized just because your squad was low on medics, or was running up against a defensive formation of tanks or whatnot.
Old 2012-04-09, 07:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
This is something I believe needs to be decided after some play, and definitely not before figuring out how deep it is in the spec tree.

If it's fairly shallow, mines definitely should not be persistent. If it's deep, mines may or may not be tolerable as a persistent deployable.

The reason it didn't get out of hand in PS1 was simple: certing engineer/advanced engineer was a long-term decision. And by the time BR40 was allowed, the air vehicles were eclipsing the ground vehicles anyways.

In PS2, spawning as an engineer is a short-term decision. Thus, if mines are available without speccing (making that long-term commitment to trading off power/playstyle elsewhere), then you'll see people spawning to their "off-focus" engineer, dropping their deployables about, and then spawning as their "real" class and playing with all the power of that class, with the benefit of engineer fortifications (we shouldn't just be talking mines, here!) backing their empire up, too.

If it's deeper in the tree, I'm more sympathetic to conceding that if you spec hard to get a bunch of deployable engie toys, your commitment is there and when you spawn as your "off-focus class" to help fill gaps in your empire, your hard work half an hour ago shouldn't be penalized just because your squad was low on medics, or was running up against a defensive formation of tanks or whatnot.
This is kind of what I was noting. While getting the engy stuff may be low on the tree, the "keeping it around forever" could be very deep in the tree.

There for short term or new Engys can build stuff, but the deep and well trained Engys build stuff forever.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion