Planetside 2 Needs Prone - Page 64 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Tip your admins!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want Prone in PS2?
Yes 152 31.21%
No 312 64.07%
Other (Explain) 23 4.72%
Voters: 487. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-11, 12:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #946
Ratstomper
Major

Re: Planetside 2 Needs Prone

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Read what you wrote again. Because something is in the game you'd feel obligated to use it? If you need to use crouch, you use it. If you need to throw a grenade you throw it. Anything in the game that's added you will feel obligated to use if it's the right choice. Who cares if you'd rather be in a vehicle in a field. Some players might want to be out with rocket launchers in the rocks or vertically up in a tree. It sounds like you want the game balanced in such a way infantry can only be used indoors and vehicles are used all the time outdoors. If you ever played Planetside you'll know that isn't the case. I'd run around with a lancer all the time taking pop-shots at vehicles. If someone is using prone in a massive base, it's the same reason as using crouch, to get better cover in their current location or to decrease their accuracy threshold when taking shots.
I distinctly recall being fairly useless out in the open as infantry. If you weren't in a vehicle, the best you could do was shoot some AV weapons, but you would die pretty quick.

Furthermore, if you're going up against a tank or aircraft in an open area, that would be a really moronic thing to do and you should be blown to bits. Noone should be able to survive on foot in a vehicle fight by going prone. In all other areas where infantry can practically take on vehicles, crouching seems to be adequate.

I still fail to see how prone brings anything to the game that isn't just lame tricks.
Old 2012-06-11, 12:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #947
vasito
Private

Originally Posted by Vanu Techpriest View Post
It's a good thing this is a video game played for fun and not a real war then.

Prone causes camping because generally you move much slower in prone. When people go prone they probably don't plan to be moving a lot. Prone also makes attacking a base much more difficult because the size of the enemy target just shrunk by 75%. A couple guys laying prone in a chokepoint with powerful weapons can take out many many attackers.

This game isn't designed to be some military sim. It's a massive scale arcade style action game and I'm glad there will be no prone.
I use prone when I advance and the cover is small. Also when Im under heavy fire.
prone =/= camping.
Old 2012-06-11, 12:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #948
Phellix
Sergeant

Originally Posted by vasito View Post
I use prone when I advance and the cover is small. Also when Im under heavy fire.
prone =/= camping.
Welcome to planetside, where heavy fire is everywhere
Old 2012-06-11, 01:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #949
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by Ratstomper View Post
I distinctly recall being fairly useless out in the open as infantry. If you weren't in a vehicle, the best you could do was shoot some AV weapons, but you would die pretty quick.

Furthermore, if you're going up against a tank or aircraft in an open area, that would be a really moronic thing to do and you should be blown to bits. Noone should be able to survive on foot in a vehicle fight by going prone. In all other areas where infantry can practically take on vehicles, crouching seems to be adequate.

I still fail to see how prone brings anything to the game that isn't just lame tricks.

ive made this really quick video to explain few point also i show how use the terrain could be usefull with prone as a infantry

also show the same maps layout as planetside 2 for almost 80 % of the entire continents and also

why crouch only could be bad

also proove thats battlefield dropshot do not work etc..

Hope this will help more people to understands i do not want to all this to become personal

Last edited by Stew; 2012-06-11 at 01:13 AM.
Old 2012-06-11, 01:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #950
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Planetside 2 prone explain why it could be usefull ! - YouTube
ive made this really quick video to explain few point also i show how use the terrain could be usefull with prone as a infantry

also show the same maps layout as planetside 2 for almost 80 % of the entire continents and also

why crouch only could be bad

also proove thats battlefield dropshot do not work etc..

Hope this will help more people to understands i do not want to all this to become personal
So, you want a situation where noone can hit you? I don't see how that's fair. At all.

Besides that, planetside has much better cover than that in any area I've seen where infantry are viable. If an area is that open, it's time to stop hoofing it and roll armor, friend.
Old 2012-06-11, 01:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #951
SKYeXile
Major General

This thread still going? cant you guys just wait for COD:BO2?

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-06-11, 01:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #952
Sirisian
Colonel

Maybe I have more experience with the game and bridge battles. Things used to be more hectic back in 2003/2004 with outside battles. I remember a few on Ishundar where I wasn't in a vehicle. (Just spawning at an AMS outside a base) and you'd be shooting people off the walls from behind rocks. We already saw places in the E3 demo where that would definitely be possible since the outside of the bases are flat in some places and hilly on others.

Who said going against a tank 1 on 1? Most of the shots players were taking with AV in the E3 demo were pop-shots at tanks that weren't paying them any attention. You had that scenario a lot in Planetside 1. Maybe it was because I played VS and we had one of the best AV weapons. I shot down planes all the time and took down lightnings during bridge battles.

But vehicle combat with AV outdoors isn't really the main reason to have prone. (Making yourself smaller to a tank shell at night will only get your so far). Seeing soldiers charging an outpost and going prone next to a tree to shoot at them or in the rocks on indar to pick off people as your squad pushes in seems like a much more sensible option. Especially getting people on the walls. Sure you can crouch, but it seems like not a big deal to give players an option to gain more accuracy if they want to trade off mobility. It puts them at a disadvantage as much as they get an advantage. (Easy target for any sniper).

You also have to take into consideration the resource system. Some players might not be pulling vehicles every turn. (If they could it would make the resource system rather moot). Some players might just be grabbing quads to quickly traverse. If you're outside defending a base you might lay down prone as an engineer after setting up mines to guard an area. Completely legitimate tactic that's no more a "lame trick" than crouching.
Old 2012-06-11, 01:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #953
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

Normally I love good discussions... but this has gotten pretty ridiculous.

Just stop it, Stew. You have made your point. I don't think you're going to convince anybody anymore by now.

Let's just leave this discussion up to a potential implementation in beta.
Old 2012-06-11, 01:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #954
Stew
Major

So, you want a situation where noone can hit you? I don't see how that's fair. At all.

Besides that, planetside has much better cover than that in any area I've seen where infantry are viable. If an area is that open, it's time to stop hoofing it and roll armor, friend.
NO this isnt the goal the goal is having reactive gameplay mechanics in a no mans land like ive put up in this video the map layyout is the same as it will be in planetside for about 80 % of the continents

So i want the freedoms to be able to figth as a infantry in those area
and also be able to actively react ihave chance to get shoot from anywhere in those type of terrain so if i heard sniper shot around me i will laydown for a second firgure out whats going for where iam getting shoot at figure out and bam go to strike those guys or those guys to reload to actively react on how and from where you get shot

also show dropshot isnt a valuable techniques if prone is well implemented

Last edited by Stew; 2012-06-11 at 01:52 AM.
Old 2012-06-11, 01:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #955
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Maybe I have more experience with the game and bridge battles. Things used to be more hectic back in 2003/2004 with outside battles. I remember a few on Ishundar where I wasn't in a vehicle. (Just spawning at an AMS outside a base) and you'd be shooting people off the walls from behind rocks. We already saw places in the E3 demo where that would definitely be possible since the outside of the bases are flat in some places and hilly on others.

Who said going against a tank 1 on 1? Most of the shots players were taking with AV in the E3 demo were pop-shots at tanks that weren't paying them any attention. You had that scenario a lot in Planetside 1. Maybe it was because I played VS and we had one of the best AV weapons. I shot down planes all the time and took down lightnings during bridge battles.

But vehicle combat with AV outdoors isn't really the main reason to have prone. (Making yourself smaller to a tank shell at night will only get your so far). Seeing soldiers charging an outpost and going prone next to a tree to shoot at them or in the rocks on indar to pick off people as your squad pushes in seems like a much more sensible option. Especially getting people on the walls. Sure you can crouch, but it seems like not a big deal to give players an option to gain more accuracy if they want to trade off mobility. It puts them at a disadvantage as much as they get an advantage. (Easy target for any sniper).

You also have to take into consideration the resource system. Some players might not be pulling vehicles every turn. (If they could it would make the resource system rather moot). Some players might just be grabbing quads to quickly traverse. If you're outside defending a base you might lay down prone as an engineer after setting up mines to guard an area. Completely legitimate tactic that's no more a "lame trick" than crouching.
I personally feel like an engineer would have better things to do with his time. What I don't want to see are people becoming little piles of pixels in the middle of firefights. I can't say much about the topic without actually playing the game. Crouch will probably serve the function of increasing accuracy at the expense of mobility and won't suddenly shrink a hitbox by 90% as soon as the shooting starts. I still think prone is a totally unnecessary and arbitrary thing to put in the game that doesn't serve any appreciable purpose besides promoting gameplay that planetside doesn't seem to be designed for.
Old 2012-06-11, 02:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #956
commiedic
Private

Love the arguments here.

Code:
http://www.planetside-universe.com/showthread.php?p=725635#post725635
Read that. What I said earlier...

TLR
Prone is a valuable mechanic in FPS games that have vehicles like tanks and aircraft. Prone doesn't have to be the same as CoD, but a longer animation making it more strategic for hiding then an advantage in a duel.

Last edited by commiedic; 2012-06-11 at 02:03 AM.
Old 2012-06-11, 02:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #957
mynameismud
Corporal

Some people will not rest until everything i love about the first planetside is taken apart, smashed, set on fire, and pissed on, then put back together in an unrecognizable form by being smashed into another games mold. only to come out a frankenstein made entirely of shit.

Like there isnt enough shitty modern shooters.
Old 2012-06-11, 02:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #958
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by commiedic View Post
Love the arguments here.

Code:
http://www.planetside-universe.com/showthread.php?p=725635#post725635
Read that. What I said earlier...

TLR
Prone is a valuable mechanic in FPS games that have vehicles like tanks and aircraft. Prone doesn't have to be the same as CoD, but a longer animation making it more strategic for hiding then an advantage in a duel.
I guess my question/comment is "Why the hell are you hiding? You should be shooting, moving, engineering, medic-ing or otherwise engaged in a useful activity. Leave the hiding to the infiltrators."
Old 2012-06-11, 02:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #959
Phellix
Sergeant

Originally Posted by mynameismud View Post
Some people will not rest until everything i love about the first planetside is taken apart, smashed, set on fire, and pissed on, then put back together in an unrecognizable form by being smashed into another games mold. only to come out a frankenstein made entirely of shit.

qft
Old 2012-06-11, 02:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #960
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by mynameismud View Post

Remember that SOE do not make this game for you personally

and also ive play around 1700 hours in 3 years for the first planetside and you ?

i also love planetside 1 back in the day but i could not play it now the game mechanics graphics etc.. are a way to old for me

This said : they have change the entire gameplay gunplays and game mechanics if you expect to have planside 1 gameplay you will be deeply disapointed because its nothing near Ps1

the thing who made planetside planetside do not come whith the game mechanics and combat mechanics

whats made planetside planetside was the Scales first , the team work 2nd , the massive vehicules battles and bridje battles , the class systhem , the factions uniqueness , and the 3 way battles

All the gameplay mechanics was poorly made in planetside 1 and even total biscuit as point it out many time and he is rigth many compromise as benn made to achive this back in 2003

planetside 2 gameplay mechanics have nothing to do with ps1 ans will never have nothing to do

they have keep the COre of planetside 1 but they have implemented a compleate new set of gameplay mechanics based on every shitty modernshooter like you call it

so yeah if those games are shitty planetside 2 will be shiity to you probably

but in my point of view i love to see planetside back with modern and up to date no compromise modern gameplay mechanics

Last edited by Stew; 2012-06-11 at 02:51 AM.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion