Max Suggestions - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Free hot naked pics for donators.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2013-07-03, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Wahooo
Captain

Max Suggestions

Not exactly a new player's question, but i figured i'd sacrifice the traffic a thread would get in the general forum for the higher percentage of quality responses in this section.

I was just looking for input and peoples favorite weapons for running maxes, all three empires, AV and AI.

I didn't play NC enough to invest in Hacksaws pre-nerf, somehow I ended up with a grinder on the right. I know people talk about the Mattock as the new goto for NC maxes but I wanted to hear thoughts about what people run with and why. Same for AV on NC I've done almost nothing with the AV weapons and want to know what people like/don't like about the choices.

VS is kinda the same, but I haven't bought any second arm weapons. I've done well killing infantry with the default AV launcher but wondered what people thought about the newer one i've never tried. Also back when Mercy for TR and Hacksaw for NC were the hands down best choice was there a VS weapon that was kinda the unwritten default? I haven't even looked into the difference between the VS AI weapons, would love to hear some compare/contrast.

TR i'm pretty kitted out. But, the only AI weapon I have is the dual Mercy from way back near release. Once they got nerfed I couldn't decide if I should change or what others favor. Right now, unless i'm outside (and why would I use AI and not Fractures?) I am rolling with default HC on one arm and Mercy on the other. Anyone have preference for Onslaught or Mutilator, why?

I personally still like the pounder but the fracture's are just so much more versatile more often, if I had a 4th or 5th loadout spot I might use the pounder more often. Anyway and compare contrast of the NC/VS av weapons relative to the fracture/pounder would be good.
Old 2013-07-04, 12:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
OCNSethy
Major

Re: Max Suggestions

For my Max, I run duel Fractures for AV and duel M2 Mutilator for AI. Duel Bursters of course for AA.

Im finding the Mutilator good for medium to long range and its not too shabby for close range either. Im a little underwhelmed by the Mercies.

Im using Kinetic Armor as I find it more versitile than the Flak for AI & AV work. Im retaining the flak for AA though.
Old 2013-07-04, 05:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
SternLX
Sergeant

I can't speak much on the other factions other than I know whats hurts most when I'm driving a MAX and go head to head with one and loose more than I like.

I'll start with how I lay out my VS MAX as I have never played the others.
First and formost. I mainly MAX up for Infantry only fights and occasionally for AA. AV MAX... well I haven't the resources for Dual Vortex's yet. Although Dual Comets are good for taking down a parked Sundy. Fast too if you have a higher level of ZOE.

Speaking of ZOE. After much playing around with it and watching others fail with it, I offer a Tip. Only activate it after you start shooting at a target. I notice a lot of new users of it run around with it on all the time. People know to shoot at the ZOE MAX first. With it on you are screaming shoot at me first I'm much softer and squishy when all lit up.

As for my load out as an AI MAX. I have ALL of the AI guns at my disposal. Tried them all under battle conditions. Here's what I ended up with for my tastes.

Bio Domes and Small Bases: I run Dual Nebs(what I call'm, Nebula is the full name). Under 10m with ZOE on your prey is dead. Period. It's much like Dual Hacksaw MAX's in TTK. At least it feels that way to me.
Tech Plants and Amp Stations: Since things are a bit more spread out I usually have 1 Blueshift and 1 Nebula on. The Blueshift is a bit more accurate at med. ranges and helps keep targets at bay(if they don't turn and run first. "Why do they always run?") while I rush to close the gap.

Ability Slot: ZOE, as much of it as you can afford when you can afford.
Suit Slot: Rolling AI in a Bio Dome or Tech Plant? Kinetic Armor, as much as you can afford. Some would argue Flak all the time. I say Nay Nay. Learn to dodge Missiles and keep an eye peeled for Trolls with C4(has a bright Red glowy bulb on it now, can't miss it).
Flak Armor I only use on my AA MAX for obvious reasons.
Auto Repair can be good also if you have no Engy Support; but is more for hit and run tactics rather than Tanking infantry.

Anyway, that's pretty much how I roll in a MAX.
Old 2013-07-06, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
War Barney
Sergeant Major

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=55878

This thread has a test of all the MAX AI guns so you can get a good look at TTK from there. Basically it shows if you wana play MAX DONT play as NC =p
Old 2013-07-06, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
MrMak
Sergeant Major

You still kill squishies with 2 shots at lcose range (1 click with dual weapons) so yeah. NC MAXes may be at a lsight disatvantage vs other MAXes in a1 on 1 fight but they are faaaaaar from as uselss contray to what Barney here tries to convince everyone.
Old 2013-07-07, 12:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Wahooo
Captain

Originally Posted by War Barney View Post
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=55878

This thread has a test of all the MAX AI guns so you can get a good look at TTK from there. Basically it shows if you wana play MAX DONT play as NC =p
Such a dumbass I was really hoping you would miss this thread.

What i'm asking for is for opinions on why people who do play max, what they personally use and why, and better if they have tried many or most of the weapons the maxes have. what i'm not asking for is more crying whining and bitching. Pretty much the reason I put this in new player questions rather than the general forum.
That TTK comparison chart really says jack shit as far as answering my question, other than Blueshift, Onslaught and Grinder are the 3 obvious choices for those who don't care about actual effectiveness in game but are really stuck on the damage output number with no modifiers or not taking into account situation and how they work the actual game.

SternLX did a pretty good job on what I was looking for in regards to VS.

My initial question was about TR AI weapons, because the Mercy was what I had, and after its nerf (same time as shotgun nerf there Barney) I wondered if either of the other two stood out for some reason since initially the Mercy (like the hacksaw) was simply better than the others it was kinda default to get.

Also I have and use both Fractures and Pounders on TR but would love some compare and contrast between the 2 choices on the other factions.

Last edited by Wahooo; 2013-07-07 at 12:47 AM.
Old 2013-07-07, 03:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Wahooo
Captain

Ok, so after some play time tonight and then a bunch in VR.

I think Mattocks should get a slight accuracy buff with slugs since they are supposed to be better range. I don't want them sniper rifles but with the smaller magazine at distance missing is more hurtful. I don't think it should carryover to the Scat/grinder/hacksaw though with slugs they kinda feel in the right place.

On the AV side what is up with the Raven's flight path? there is a distance it flat out will fly around a flash... other than that it is pretty cool and it is nice that you can run raven on one arm falcon on the other and they work well together. Raven seems to be really just as effective as fractures if it weren't for that loopy flight path.

VS AV... maybe it is a low graphics thing but why the hell is the muzzle flash the same effect as shooting a rocket into a vehicle shield at point blank? Does anyone like the vortex? I like the comet quite a bit so I would see myself picking up the vortex but it doesn't feel right.
Old 2013-10-04, 12:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
DredVS
Private

Get ZOE, Kinetic 5 (Flak 5 when there is high risk of being killed by a C4 monkey), and Extended Mags for both Nebula arms.

This is for farming infantry in close-quarters. The best loadout for defense, as people will rush the point right into your welcoming arms. If you turn ZOE off, you can 1-mag a scatmax and he cannot 1-mag you with this loadout. The Nebulas have the highest rate-of-fire for the VS MAX, letting you tear through squads.

For the lone wolf loadout: ZOE, Auto-Repair 5, Extended Mags for both Blueshift arms.

This loadout is for farming infantry in open fields. The cone of fire of the Blueshifts are the best in the game for MAX weaponry. The Blueshifts do not have damage dropoff and are very accurate, along with having the highest bullet velocity.

Anti-MAX loadout: ZOE, Kinetic 5 (or Flak 5 if dealing with Fracture MAX), and Dual Comets.

This is for killing MAX's. However the Comets are about to get nerfed, so I don't advise dropping certs or SC on the second Comet arm if you are starting out.

Vehicle sniping loadout: ZOE, Flak 5, Vortexes/Bursters.

Pretty simple. Vortexes are better than Comets when the enemy vehicle is moving around and are keeping their distance. Also, Vortexes are getting buffed and Comets are getting nerfed (in regards to anti-infantry), so if you are investing SC or certs, I recommend Vortexes.

Never use charge on VS MAX, simply it's very situational on VS MAX (very situational means never). Always use ZOE, yet know when to turn it off to save yourself from a large amount of damage. For example, a brick of C4 will kill you instantly with Flak 5 ZOE, but if you turn ZOE off, you will be at half-health with Flak 5.

Last edited by DredVS; 2013-10-04 at 01:08 AM.
Old 2013-10-05, 04:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
pungentstentch
Private

I was hoping someone asked this specific question, I have unlocked all the VS max weapons, but haven't tested them deeply. I was only using dual blueshifts for AI and dual Comets/bursters for AV/AA. I was very disappointed with the vortex, but you made me very happy about the buff so I'll give them another try as well as the nebulas.

But for as I read, no mixed combinations of weapons?

Enviado desde mi GT-N7000 usando Tapatalk 2
Old 2013-10-06, 02:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
DredVS
Private

Originally Posted by pungentstentch View Post
But for as I read, no mixed combinations of weapons?
Just use both of the same gun. If you ever need to switch for a different situation, find the nearest terminal or Sunderer.

Mixed arms just makes you half as bad as the role you're supposed to fufill. Not completely good at AI, AV, or AA.

Also, to clarify, the Vortexes are only getting buffed vs. Infantry, not vehicles/air.

Last edited by DredVS; 2013-10-06 at 02:09 AM.
Old 2013-10-06, 07:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
pungentstentch
Private

Originally Posted by DredVS View Post
Also, to clarify, the Vortexes are only getting buffed vs. Infantry, not vehicles/air.
That was heavily needed. For your suggestions, I tried dual Nebulas and are working quite amazing ,

Old 2013-10-06, 03:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
GreyFrog
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Wahooo View Post
I think Mattocks should get a slight accuracy buff with slugs since they are supposed to be better range. I don't want them sniper rifles but with the smaller magazine at distance missing is more hurtful.
Could regularly hit out to 90m with Mattock slugs. 50m is almost a sure thing for body shots, how much more range are you after?
Old 2013-10-07, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Wahooo
Captain

Originally Posted by GreyFrog View Post
Could regularly hit out to 90m with Mattock slugs. 50m is almost a sure thing for body shots, how much more range are you after?
Well, all of my actual experience with mattocks is in VR. 30 meters is about a 60% hit rate, 50 meters is about a 30% hit rate. Though it does only take a few hits to kill with slugs at 50 meters. I guess I would think since they are supposed to be the longer distance weapon they have an accuracy somewhere closer to current shotgun's ADS (closer to not equal to) as right now if feels like it is similar to open sighted. missing by a couple body widths at those ranges... I dunno I felt the same thing about the mercys as well. For what is supposed to be the longer range weapon the hit rate at distance is pretty mediocre. It is one reason i'll take fractures over AI weapons at much distance.
Old 2013-10-07, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
GreyFrog
Master Sergeant

Yeah slug mattock and mercies at range are comparable. AV weapons are better AI options at range in most cases. I generally try to stay indoors with my MAX, in fact I generally try to dictate range with all my classes, engaging outside of mid range is not really effective use of an AI Max.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions