Balance: Daily summary statistics of vehicle, weapon and class kills - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of Hamma and the PSU Thong.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2013-03-13, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Sonny
Contributor
First Sergeant

Daily summary statistics of vehicle, weapon and class kills

Also at reddit

Problem - the forums are filled with threads saying that one weapon/vehicle/class is overpowered compared to another. We don't have any hard data to prove whether any of these arguments are true, so discussions go around in circles with no effective resolution.

Solution - We should have access to daily kill statistics for each weapon, vehicle and class in the game. This should be available in .txt or .csv format so that us stats geeks can play around with it. With this daily summary, the community would have the hard data to resolve a number or overpowered/underpowered debates that appear on the forums.

Here are some examples of the data I would like to have access to:

'NC Scat max vs infantry kills' compared to 'TR AI max vs infantry kills' or 'VS AI max vs infantry kills'

'Prowler HE vs infantry kills' compared to 'Vanguard HE vs infantry kills' and 'Magrider HE vs infantry kills'

I would like to be able to choose any vehicle, class and weapon combination in this way. Any other ideas for further stats that you would like included?
Old 2013-03-26, 03:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
fierce deity
Sergeant

Re: Daily summary statistics of vehicle, weapon and class kills

Agreed
Old 2013-03-26, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
camycamera
Major

agreed, it will shut the whiners up
Old 2013-03-26, 07:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Nothing will shut the whiners up.

This would be more interesting than useful.

The Devs, who are actually looking at and adjusting balance have these tools already.

It would be cool to see though
Old 2013-03-28, 12:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Houston
Private

Me and a friend of mine are working on an external stats website including daily weapon/vehicle stats for each player on our site. Once we're done with the main stuff and everything's updating properly we'll let you know!
Old 2013-03-28, 07:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rothnang
Major

Statistics don't tell the whole story. A weapon that 9 out of 10 people can't use at all, but 1 out of 10 gets an absolutely insane K/D with in a graph looks the same as a weapon that all 10 people get a K/D a normal K/D with.

A direct study of how something is used is often more informative than just looking at the data.
Old 2013-03-28, 08:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Houston
Private

Originally Posted by Rothnang View Post
Statistics don't tell the whole story. A weapon that 9 out of 10 people can't use at all, but 1 out of 10 gets an absolutely insane K/D with in a graph looks the same as a weapon that all 10 people get a K/D a normal K/D with.

A direct study of how something is used is often more informative than just looking at the data.
Yea, absolutely. Looking at single players wont do the trick. Everyone plays different. Sometimes you're just very good with a weapon while others consider it to be pretty bad...

However average-stats for each weapon and weapon type should be quite good to compare to each other based on average kills per hour, accuracy or shots needed per kill for example.

We already have a weapon database for quite a few players, so... Interested in any weapon comparision right now? I could look it up directly in the database for you..
Old 2013-04-09, 08:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sonny
Contributor
First Sergeant

Will be exciting to see this come online Houston - let us know when it's ready .

Sonny
Old 2013-04-11, 01:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Boildown
Sergeant

You're talking about the difference between data and information.

The thing is, you need data to have information. I'm all for having the data, at least then I have the chance to get some information out of it.
Old 2013-04-11, 07:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Rothnang
Major

Data isn't always representative of what's really happening though. It doesn't tell you if a unit is getting tons of kills by bottomfeeding on enemies that are already beaten because it can't hack it in a real fight or if its wading into the thick of things and just laughing at the resistance. Pure kill statistics don't tell you if people are using cheap tactics to produce kills because the unit isn't capable of it otherwise.
Old 2013-04-29, 12:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Houston
Private

Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Will be exciting to see this come online Houston - let us know when it's ready .

Sonny
The site not even half ready but have a look here:
http://ps2-stats.com/weapon/infantry

The stats are more or less static at the moment since we don't update weapon stats every day for every player - only players whose profiles have been viewed at least once get automatic daily weapon / vehicle / class stats updates.
Old 2013-04-30, 02:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Sonny
Contributor
First Sergeant

Hi Houston,
The website looks really awesome. The functionality that you have on there already is great - I think it could be a great tool for the player base to spot what weapons are obviously over/under powered compared to others.

The only other functions I could think of that would be really useful would be 1) to have daily statistics so we can see the impact of pre-patch/post-patch effects (which you already mentioned, and sounds like it would be a technical nightmare ) and 2) to be able to make graphs with time on the x-axis and different weapons on the y-axis to compare them directly. Although the site is already really great as it is .

You should advertise this on reddit, the official forums and tweet higby about it if you haven't already, more people should see this!

Sonny
Old 2013-04-30, 03:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Houston
Private

Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Hi Houston,
The website looks really awesome. The functionality that you have on there already is great - I think it could be a great tool for the player base to spot what weapons are obviously over/under powered compared to others.

The only other functions I could think of that would be really useful would be 1) to have daily statistics so we can see the impact of pre-patch/post-patch effects (which you already mentioned, and sounds like it would be a technical nightmare ) and 2) to be able to make graphs with time on the x-axis and different weapons on the y-axis to compare them directly. Although the site is already really great as it is .

You should advertise this on reddit, the official forums and tweet higby about it if you haven't already, more people should see this!

Sonny
Thanks Yea, I've thought about summing up the stats once a week or so, but at the moment only a few players weapons are updated every day, so it wouldn't be very representative right now. Later, when many players are getting daily weapon stats it would be pretty nice though.

Graphs would definately be great! If I'm calculating those stats periodically I'll do graphs!

And I didn't advertise it yet since I'm still working on the site, having errors every here and then. But I guess I should start advertising it

Last edited by Houston; 2013-04-30 at 03:17 AM.
Old 2013-04-30, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Mustakrakish
Corporal

I know how the rest of my afternoon is going to be spent. Definitely looking forward to seeing the finished product!
Old 2013-04-30, 10:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Kiten
Private

Hey Houston,

Great work on the website. I'll be registering and cheering you on as a user.

Looking forward to seeing future improvements. Keep up the good work, and thank you for letting us know about it!

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault