Patching servers - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: How do I submit a Quote?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-11-21, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Laeritides
Staff Sergeant

Patching servers

I was reading on the OF forum and I ran accross this. It is about the latest patch.

"This morning, many of our players, particularly those on Werner (a part of the world that was actually awake), experienced a series of server crashes after the patch.
We have identified the problem and patched the server to resolve it. Things appear stable at the moment, and we will be monitoring the servers continuously to try and identify any further issues." -SporkfirePS

I was just wondering if anyone has suggested to these guys to patch there servers on say a Monday or a Teusday? That way they have the whole week to work out the problems. I was going to post this no the tread over there, but the forum is down.

Now They are having trouble with the patch and it may mess up our gaming time on the weekend. When I am sure the most ppl are on, right?

If this has been brought up before sorry for rehashing.
Old 2003-11-21, 01:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
kerosene31
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Laeritides

I was just wondering if anyone has suggested to these guys to patch there servers on say a Monday or a Teusday? That way they have the whole week to work out the problems. I was going to post this no the tread over there, but the forum is down.

Now They are having trouble with the patch and it may mess up our gaming time on the weekend. When I am sure the most ppl are on, right?

If this has been brought up before sorry for rehashing.
I agree 110%. Unless it is a patch which is fixing a serious game issue, I wish they would wait until Monday.
Old 2003-11-21, 02:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Jagd
Major

Yeah, but the weekend allows them to see the new code put under extreme duress, which gives them the best possible testing results.
Old 2003-11-21, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Laeritides
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Jagd
Yeah, but the weekend allows them to see the new code put under extreme duress, which gives them the best possible testing results.
that is a bad idea. They didn't even get it working with almost no one on. Pissing off losts of ppl to test it out is not the way to patch something. They should do more testing before they release patches. Seeing how it crashed the servers just when installed, I can only guess that they never made a copy of the real servers and tested it out on that. SOE needs to revamp there testing procedures.
Old 2003-11-21, 02:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Jagd
Major

Well I don't disagree with that, but they still need to see their code under high-stress conditions to make sure it really does perform properly on the large scale.
Old 2003-11-21, 02:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
delta
First Sergeant

/Agree

If the patch isn't performing a very manditory update they should wait until then.

Rawr! I'm a tiger! I'm also fluffy but I have big teeth!
Old 2003-11-21, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Laeritides
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Jagd
Well I don't disagree with that, but they still need to see their code under high-stress conditions to make sure it really does perform properly on the large scale.
I agree they need to test it under high-stress, but not at the expense of the paying customers. What they should do is make a copy of emerald(that has the most ppl right?) put it on the test server. Let everyone who wants too, login there and test it out. That way the code is tested on a copy of a live server instead of being tested on the test server. Which is no an exact copy of the lives. If if was they wouldn't have had server crashes this morning.

I find all of this very funny. If my server crashed as much as their's do after a patch. I would be canned for sure.

I think we can all agree they need more testing and better QA.
Old 2003-11-21, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Jagd
Major

I'll drink to that!
Old 2003-11-21, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Hamma
PSU Admin

It's a double edged sword. They do what they can, nothing ever works as planned in computers trust me I know.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-11-21, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Laeritides
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hamma
It's a double edged sword. They do what they can, nothing ever works as planned in computers trust me I know.
They may not have the resources to do it, but it can be done much better. Trust me I know
Old 2003-11-21, 04:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Hamma
PSU Admin

I'm guessing you dont work at SOE, if you do then my bad.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-11-21, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Laeritides
Staff Sergeant

No I don't work at SOE. That is why I don't know what resources they have for testing. I have been a System Administrator for a large company for 4 years. We do very extensive testing before a patch to an application is rolled out. We have yet to have a problem with a patch (knocks on wood) That is how I know it can be done better.
Old 2003-11-21, 04:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Hamma
I'm guessing you dont work at SOE, if you do then my bad.
What is with that double standard today? Neither of you works for SOE, therefore each of your opinions is equally valid or invalid depending on how you look at it. Responding to SOE criticism by saying "You don't work for them so you don't know" doesn't work unless you do work for them.
Old 2003-11-22, 03:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Flammey
Lieutenant Colonel

Yeah, we don't need any double standards in here.
One standard will do just fine.

Last edited by Flammey; 2003-11-22 at 03:49 AM. Reason: grammer
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion