Poll: One stab kill? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma is fun to squeeze!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: What style melee do you want?
Old Planetside style? (More than one stab to kill) 50 64.10%
Call of duty style? (One button insta-kill) 4 5.13%
Something TF2 ish? (Knife is selected and used well by stealther only) 18 23.08%
Something I have yet to think of? (Don't just select this if you have something write it) 6 7.69%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-08-08, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Atuday
Master Sergeant

Poll: One stab kill?

Simply put what kind of melee do people want in the next planetside?
Old 2011-08-08, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Re: Poll: One stab kill?

Originally Posted by Atuday View Post
Simply put what kind of melee do people want in the next planetside?
This has been done before.

No, on the 1 stab kill.

NO NO NO NO NO. No matter how you implement it.

NO
Old 2011-08-08, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Atuday
Master Sergeant

Wow some one posted even before I got the poll typed lol.
Old 2011-08-08, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Wow some one posted even before I got the poll typed lol.
haha, I really think the way they did it in the first game was fine.
Old 2011-08-08, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Atuday
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Logit View Post
This has been done before.

No, on the 1 stab kill.

NO NO NO NO NO. No matter how you implement it.

NO
So even if you are a cloaker who has only a rek and a knife? Wow talker about making some people's lives hard.
Old 2011-08-08, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Hamma
PSU Admin

People feel rather strongly on this issue, I think it should remain as it was in PlanetSide. Nothing is more annoying than the knife in Battlefield. Having someone stab you in the kneecap while you are going into their chest full auto and dying instantly gets old rather quickly.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-08-08, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Atuday
Master Sergeant

I agree Hamma but I put the option up there just so we can all laugh and make fun of any one who selects it.

Personally I think that if you are a cloaker with a knife and little else (perhaps including skills and implants) you should be able to one hit kill. That sort of thing would take time to invest in and would give cloakers more power. That way they don't simply get in the way of my bullets.

For most of the players though having a knife that does damage as a last resort in planetside was a good system.
Old 2011-08-08, 03:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
klu
Corporal

the only way i would be comfortable with a insta-kill knife would be if it was very limited. like headshot only, 'headshot back of the head' only would be even better. that way one could still be rewarded with an easy kill if you truly got the drop on someone while avoiding the typical bf/cod silliness. im not in favor of giving cloakers any special melee ability that isnt available to all.
Old 2011-08-08, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

No one hit stabs. They did a temporary knife buff one time in PS, where it was a 1 hit kill. Not fun.

My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex
Old 2011-08-08, 03:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Logit
Second Lieutenant

So even if you are a cloaker who has only a rek and a knife? Wow talker about making some people's lives hard.
I'd assume that it's not going to be this way in the second version.

Even if it did require some time to get there, TONS of people will eventually get there and than it would just be abused.

It's annoying with the amount of people that play BF, let alone 1000s.
Old 2011-08-08, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Trolltaxi
Sergeant Major

Our race has discovered space travel, wormhols, found Auraxis, built shuttles, bases, tanks, bfrs, men fight in Rexo-s that stop 13 rounds of 9 mills or you survive a near-miss of a 105 mm cannon or a rocket salvo from a reaver in it...

Yet, for some mysterious reason people still try to implement a knife that would kill these men-of-war with a single hit...

I think you should rethink the issue.
Old 2011-08-08, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

I voted PS1, because I'm a sniper.

I say no to instagib knife.

I say maybe to TF2 backstabbing, or to be precise instagib backstabbing.

I like the way you can prevent backstabs in Crysis2 MP. There is a suit module, that basically gives you a proximity alarm. So if you have it, it starts to beep everytime enemy enters a certain radius around you. The closer the enemy is, the more beeping it does. So if you hear it, you're most likely to forget about sniping and to investigate the source of beeping. Plus, when backstabbing, you become visible and vulnerable for a second, while animation lasts. A solution I'd really like to see in PS2 if there will be any instagib backstabbing.
Old 2011-08-08, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
I voted PS1, because I'm a sniper.

I say no to instagib knife.

I say maybe to TF2 backstabbing, or to be precise instagib backstabbing.

I like the way you can prevent backstabs in Crysis2 MP. There is a suit module, that basically gives you a proximity alarm. So if you have it, it starts to beep everytime enemy enters a certain radius around you. The closer the enemy is, the more beeping it does. So if you hear it, you're most likely to forget about sniping and to investigate the source of beeping. Plus, when backstabbing, you become visible and vulnerable for a second, while animation lasts. A solution I'd really like to see in PS2 if there will be any instagib backstabbing.
This. While 1-shot knives suck hard, so does basically getting grenade spammed or some doofus running up to you with a handgun point blank and unloading into your rear. Even worse if it's a Vanu with a magnum: you can barely hear that thing go off. At least with a knife, SOE could work in an animation that reveals the cloaker, and locks him and his victim into the animation. Maybe even turn on the knife automatically so it's also loud. This would make knife kills from cloakers more of a lone-wolf punishment tool... for their victim, but likewise punish a cloaker for attempting a knife kill among a group of enemies. Kind of balances itself out in my mind.
Old 2011-08-08, 03:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Sovereign
Staff Sergeant

No, insta-stabbing just defeats the purpose of secondary fire on the knifes like that of the chain blade.

Only things I would change about it is significantly better its attack arc and radius make it more significant and animated.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14382&dateline=131370  3750

Last edited by Sovereign; 2011-08-08 at 03:59 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-08, 04:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

In addition to lethality I also want to add in that quick knife is lame.

Taking out a knife is no more rapid than taking out a pistol. It's a decision to switch weapons and switching has a cost in time for every weapon - the knife should be no different. It also remove sthe possibility for a bayonette to be a useful addon. The value of the bayonette is that its already out and ready-for-use. It is a true quick-knife, and if you have a weapon that allows it or its an upgrade then great, that's a meaningful advantage. Just say no to quick knife.

Also, having an insta kill knife would put a lot of power into the hands of infiltrators, and the counter to that will likley be more anti-infiltration options.

The melee booster implant is another thing to bring back. If someone wants to be effective with the knife, then get the appropriate equipment and implants and boost it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion