Playing solo without voice chat - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Shazbot
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-07-14, 12:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
SFJake
Sergeant

Playing solo without voice chat

First: I have never played PS1.

I've only recently heard about this game, and I'm trying to understand a few things, still. It seems very hard to read about basics things about this game, maybe I'm just missing the obvious.

Basically, yes, I know this is a MMO. In my mind, I never had any intentions of "going at it completely solo". What I don't care for, is voice chat player interaction. Which is all I've seen talk about.

I'll never use voice chat myself, I'll leave it on, seems like the game would need it, but I will never use it (don't get me started on why ).

I expected the game to make it easy to play in groups and be part of a team, without using voice chat yourself, and without being a part of a "guild" (which you guys call outfits, right?). I have NO desire to -ever- be part of a MMO guild -> thats when it gets too serious for me, and it bothers me.

What should I expect my experience to be? Is the squad system designed to put you along side other people with no guild, or does it give you the choice somehow? I'd totally dig being part of teams, and I'd gladly follow another player's input, or a team leader's orders.

However, I ultimately have no real idea how all of this works in the game for a "solo" player like me. The game seems to have a differentiation between the average "soldiers" and people that want to lead a team, but I can't find specifics. What should I expect?
Old 2012-07-14, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
JPalmer
Master Sergeant

Re: Playing solo without voice chat

You can play by yourself. You will look for a mission you like. Join it. It will pair you up with a squad. I think without voice as long as you communicate via text you should be fine. I mean you are going to communicate one way or another right? Not a lot people driving tanks like silence. Especially when they paid for it.

And I don't know why you don't voice chat, but take a opinion from me. Not everyone is a dumbass or super serious. With voice chat you can meet a lot of cool people. Same goes for Outfits.

Last edited by JPalmer; 2012-07-14 at 12:08 PM.
Old 2012-07-14, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Flaropri
Sergeant Major

I'm sure many people won't be using it actually, for similar reasons that you may have, and of course also for the very practical reason of simply not having a microphone.

I'm sure there will even be people who just turn off/mute income voice chat as well.

I think lack of communication is missing out on some things, but, based on playing other games, you'll probably do fine. TF2 has in-game voice chat for example, and while I miss out on warning my team of incoming threats (especially if I get killed while trying to type the message) and the like, it's still a fun and enjoyable experience...

If I took that game more seriously and/or had a set group of people to play with, I'd be more inclined to talk to them, but it isn't necessary to have fun with the game.

I'm sure that PS2 will be similar, but there is more incentive (I feel) to talk to people.
Old 2012-07-14, 12:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

How do you see being part of a MMO guild being to serious? There is varying levels of all types of clans in all genres of games. There will be groups that you hop on to play with to just play regularly to outfits that have a strict structure constantly doing something to move the map forward for their empire. I see no reason you couldn't find a outfit to your likes.
Old 2012-07-14, 12:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Hamma
PSU Admin

There is nothing to stop you from playing by yourself you can certainly disable voice chat as well. The auto squad system will put you in any squad that is open and looking for members. I'm uncertain if it puts priority on folks with no outfits or not.

The difference between average players and those who want to lead is how they choose to play and use their certifications when it boils down to it.

Also, not all outfits are to serious. Some are of course, but there are plenty of casual outfits out there where you can make friends and play with them consistently. PlanetSide truly shines playing as part of a group or unit. Find an outfit that fits your playstyle and join them you will enjoy the game much more.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-07-14, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
JPalmer
Master Sergeant

edit
Old 2012-07-14, 12:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
SFJake
Sergeant

Originally Posted by JPalmer View Post
You can play by yourself. You will look for a mission you like. Join it. It will pair you up with a squad. I think without voice as long as you communicate via text you should be fine. I mean you are going to communicate one way or another right? Not a lot people driving tanks like silence. Especially when they paid for it.

And I don't know why you don't voice chat, but take a opinion from me. Not everyone is a dumbass or super serious. With voice chat you can meet a lot of cool people. Same goes for Outfits.
Oh I'll type and answer, but in a FPS game its hard to find time to type, so especially in the middle of battlefield it would mostly be acknowledgements. Would help if the game has an auto-walk forward button, so I can walk while typing.

And you guys are right, there's probably less serious outfits I could find a place in, that would take even people without voice chat willing to play as a team.

But I'm glad to know you don't need an outfit in the first place to be part of a team, thats what I wanted to hear
Old 2012-07-14, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I've come across people who don't use mics for various reasons. I wouldn't see why you can't find an outfit that would be willing to take you in.
Old 2012-07-14, 12:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
MasterCalaelen
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

I'm in an Outfit that plays to overcome challenges and beat superior numbers with a small group. One of our members, who is a damn solid player, has never spoken a word on voice comms yet is always on the ball and his inability to speak has never been a problem.

What I'm trying to say is that not wanting to speak on voice comms is definitely not an issue, even for the more serious Outfits. Since you want to just play the game casually, you shouldn't have any issue finding an Outfit to play with, and even do operations, without the need to talk.
Old 2012-07-14, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Well, the game is going to be much more fun with in Game voice/Teamspeak and as a part of an Outfit, but you can be completly solo if you wish.

You could just join random squads, and just listen to their voice blabber if you wish (or turn it off completly). As long as you stay close to the squad, you should be good.
You could also completly ignroe squads and just follow the fight, people did that in Planetside, heck even I did that when i didnt feel like running with others for a bit.
Old 2012-07-14, 02:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Sure you can play without using VOIP or even without joining an outfit. You'll be missing out on a great majority of the actual content, and won't really know what Planetside really is. Like has been said above, there are many casual outfits for each faction if you just want to chill out with people and never speak a word on TS/Vent/mumble or whatever. If you're into the VS, join GoTR or AT. If you're NC find a member of the Blue Lions. TR equivilent is likely D2A. They're decent people, I actually started with D2A years ago.

You'll die a ton, and it won't likely be as fun. However, yes, it is indeed possible.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.

Last edited by p0intman; 2012-07-14 at 02:49 PM.
Old 2012-07-14, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
SixShooter
Captain

I've been playing mostly solo for the the last 2 or 3 months that I've been playing PS1 again because my outfit is pretty much non existent these days. It's actually been a blast but I do miss the teamwork of a good outfit. You should have no problem going solo or jumping into a squad without having to join an outfit. There are definitly going to be outfits that are less serious but like to kick some ass and have fun.

You should not write off joining an outfit completely. I would recomend finding a fun outfit to join just to try it out, you can always leave it if you still find that it's not for you. I feel like there is a huge benefit to playing with the same people every time you log in over hoping into a squad with a bunch of randoms.

The great thing is that you are totally free to play the game however you want. Find what works for you and run with it. It sounds like there is nothing wrong with the way that you plan to play it.

Last edited by SixShooter; 2012-07-14 at 05:07 PM.
Old 2012-07-14, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
TRex
First Sergeant

You will find a place somewhere in the game.

Some people are just good listeners On the flipside there are the odd ones on voice chat you just wish would shut the fuck up.

I've known a few female gamers that make other male gamers look utterly amateurish, but remain silent on voice because they expect the usual douche bag comments which detracts from the game.

Some of the larger outfits you may only find 10% of them use voice comms anyway. They get spam invited the second their character is spawned into the game, and are just part of the maggot farm.
Old 2012-07-14, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
SteinB
Sergeant

You can certainly ease your way into using voice chat or as others have said just listen and follow. There are quick key commands for simple voice macros like "incoming vehicles!", "acknowledged" etc so you will always have a limited ability to interact with squadmates and nearby friendlies. Many outfits have 'open' squads that let in non-outfit members so you won't have trouble finding people to play with.
Old 2012-07-16, 09:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
wigsplit
Private

I don't think you are necessarily considered casual because you don't like voice communication. I hate it tbh, but I have had to use it a lot in the past especially when playing CS in leagues/lan tournaments. It could be I'm just burnt out from doing it for years. When I was playing TOR my guild had to pull my arm constantly to join mumble and it seems like its the same way with my outfit in PS.

I still play as hard as I can, I just don't like to always be talking while playing. Sometimes people constantly talk and its about stuff that's not relevant to the game and at times becomes distracting. Sometimes I'll just be chilling in mumble/vent for hours and people won't need me for anything and sometimes it might happen multiple days in a row.

I'm all for joining up if we are going to do something as a unit and I'm needed but it just seems like there's more idling and I just don't like to hear people ramble forever. I also like to sometimes play music while I'm in hardcore battles it helps the mood of my game. I find myself often muting the sound in mumble/vent to do so. Anyways, just saying I wouldn't consider myself casual but you do have to pull my arm a lot to jump in voice comm for I have become extremely lazy in that area of gaming.

Last edited by wigsplit; 2012-07-16 at 09:14 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions