Doing a Video, properly. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Deadlier than an OS on a squishy
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-01-06, 12:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info
Doing a Video, properly.

Before you start reading: keep in mind that this can only happen once we got beta. But i want to get the idea out before it goes into the abyss that is my mind, and to get other peoples input to improve the idea itself.
the idea also appeared on reddit in a much simpler form, and that reddit discussion basically just told me that i should get my stuff out already.

So, here it goes:
The idea is to show the full scale of combat. Not just a few minutes of large battle, not just a bit out outfit action, no the full scale. The actual full scale.
But what is the full scale of combat? Well, it pretty much involves this:
The sole greeny playing by itself
The guy following commander y
The guy following commander x
The guy following commander z
The Outfit member of the usual zergfit
The outfit member of a tactical outfit using Galaxis
The outfit member of a tactical outfit using Air
The outfit member of a tactical outfit using Tanks
Commander y
Commander x
Commander z
Outfit member running the ops of that gal using outfit
Outfit member running the ops of that Air using outfit
Outfit member running the opfs of that tanks using outfit

And the list goes on. And that, for all 3 empires

tl;dr: We need to capture the viewpoint of as much different people as possible. And that not of different battles, no, just one big battle, just a single big fight.
If we get enough video of this big fight, we would then be able to cut a whole bunch of videos together.
One that shows the overall situation from the eyes of the greenys.
One that shows how the outfits interact with each other.
One that shows reaction and outer reaction of the empires (Air outfit from the VS strikes, Tank using outfit from the TR decide to switch from AV toAA for their tanks, Tank using NC outfit exploits this by getting themself AV on their tanks and nuke the TR outfit. Meanwile, Gal using VS outfit hits the base, getting into a nasty firefight with the NC outfit, getting completly devestated by the TR outfit just dropping from behind)
One that shows how the commanders fight each other and together, reacting on the battlefields changes, trying to get their forces to victory.
Three that focus soley on a faction
And one that gets it all together, showing the full scale of things, how everything plays together.

Once we have a bunch of videos, and if SOE gives their approve, hit youtube with them, and get the major gaming sites link the entire series. THen people will truly start to understand what "thousands of players" really means.

And if planetside 2 doesnt become the most played game in history after that, im eating a broom or two.

Anyway, now its your call: I just put the idea out, knowing that planning in detail doesnt make sense as we dont know when beta hits, who is in, what our recording options are and if SOE even allows this.
Still, if you have input, spit it out!

And if the devs/marketing team reads this: Its up to you to allow this project. While we would try to keep things in private till we have the final videos done, ready to be approved by you guys, we cant gurantee that no leak happens. So your choice, approve or deny. Just give us an now or at least once beta hits, dont want to waste loads of peoples time if you deny this from the start.
Old 2012-01-06, 12:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Re: Doing a Video, properly.

If there is an open beta, maybe a week before official full launch they would probably allow the videos released. If not, then shortly after launch.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-01-06, 12:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
If there is an open beta, maybe a week before official full launch they would probably allow the videos released. If not, then shortly after launch.
Open beta is the drop of the NDA. Means in open beta, its easily possible to record stuff and post it.

But if we want to do something like this, we need to do during Closed beta. You need to get a whole bunch of people recording, means you need to ensure you have them on the same continent at the same time. Its very likley this wont be easily possible during Open beta, as a lot of people would try out the game, means full continents.
Old 2012-01-06, 01:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
CidHighwind
Master Sergeant

This is right up my alley. I'm not very versed in the whole process of recording, but I'll do whatever is necessary to help out Basti :-)... even if you are a barney .
Old 2012-01-06, 02:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Raymac
Brigadier General

1. I think your TL;DR is longer than the beginning
2. ODB, you know I got your back on this. Count me in.

If we make something in closed beta (fingers crossed that I get into beta) then the people in beta can talk together and find a way to share and edit it. Then we can show it to the powers that be. Some people *cough* Ol' Dirti Basti *cough* are on a first name basis with the devs, so it should be easy to show it to them. Then they can decide if they want to release it before the NDA drops. Imagine the power of a well made (and that's the most important part) video created solely by fans to express their passion for and tell the world about this one of a kind game.

Last edited by Raymac; 2012-01-06 at 02:10 AM.
Old 2012-01-06, 02:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Graywolves
General

I don't know what you said and read half your post but I'm in.
Old 2012-01-06, 03:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

It would be nice/funny if the videos sort of tied into each other.

For example, Two of the organized outfit videos were from opposite sides of the same battle.

Or during one video, as a seemingly random player walks through the battlefield he would get a highlight and a huge arrow pointing at him "JOE13"

Then at the end of the video/in the description -But what was JOE13 doing while all this happened? Find out at <link to other video>
Old 2012-01-06, 07:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Miir
Malvision

Sounds like an interesting proposal. Let me know if I can help.
Old 2012-01-06, 09:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Open beta is the drop of the NDA. Means in open beta, its easily possible to record stuff and post it.

But if we want to do something like this, we need to do during Closed beta. You need to get a whole bunch of people recording, means you need to ensure you have them on the same continent at the same time. Its very likley this wont be easily possible during Open beta, as a lot of people would try out the game, means full continents.
I'm saying we can record it during closed beta and then have our fingers on the mouse button so that as son as the NDA is dropped or we recieve the authorization to, we can let it loose.

IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-01-06, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
FoxBait
Private

Originally Posted by FastAndFree View Post

For example, Two of the organized outfit videos were from opposite sides of the same battle.

Or during one video, as a seemingly random player walks through the battlefield he would get a highlight and a huge arrow pointing at him "JOE13"

Then at the end of the video/in the description -But what was JOE13 doing while all this happened? Find out at <link to other video>
First off, this is a really cool idea. I'm imagining that each player perspective video being a chain of individual soldiers (or groups) reacting to what the next video's star is doing. In the end, it would all be a chain, happening all within the same 2-5 minutes.

My thought:

Make sure you get player voices in these videos. Nothing brings in the human element like hearing the people doing the tactical chatter behind the screen. Even if you have to edit to make it more professional (if that's what you're going for).
Old 2012-01-06, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
SgtMAD
Captain

I do know one thing about this PS crowd is once the game is released there will be a flood of movies.

you need to talk to guys like Str8 [SMF] from markov, he made the CrackkSmoke vids
there were quite a few aspiring film makers on markov, you need to line those guys up
Old 2012-01-06, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Quantumplation
Private

I thought of a good way to give the sense that it's all from the same battle.

Video clip is going along in viewpoint of person A. Person B comes into his viewpoint, the video stops for a brief second, and zooms in on that person (to give the illusion that the camera is zooming towards him), and switches to his perspective at the same moment in battle. Do that throughout the whole video, perhaps starting off with really long times between switches and then speeding up to give the sense of hundreds of soldiers all played by actual people.
Old 2012-01-06, 10:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
bjorntju1
Captain

Near the end of the video, when a base is captured by a faction. The camera turns up looking at the volumetric clouds. And around 15 galaxies from another faction are coming out of the clouds. Fully manned, to retake the base. Then everyone bails out above the base for a drop. The camera follows them for a second of 2. The screen goes to black. And then it says: Do you want to see how it continues? Sign up for Planetside 2 now! (or someting like that)
Old 2012-01-06, 10:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by FoxBait View Post
First off, this is a really cool idea. I'm imagining that each player perspective video being a chain of individual soldiers (or groups) reacting to what the next video's star is doing. In the end, it would all be a chain, happening all within the same 2-5 minutes.

My thought:

Make sure you get player voices in these videos. Nothing brings in the human element like hearing the people doing the tactical chatter behind the screen. Even if you have to edit to make it

Could more professional (if that's what you're going for).
Could go for Wiley Coyote effects. In fact, regardless of what we do, I want at least one video made to ACME standards.

IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-01-06, 03:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

That pretty much is the idea, and you just showed a quite awesome way to do it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion