Newbie Question. How to build up skill or kill more often than die? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: WORST. QUOTE. EVER.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2013-06-04, 04:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
HHCXVII
Private

Question Newbie Question. How to build up skill or kill more often than die?

Any tips? I've only played for about a total of 1 day and 2 hours, 2 hours on my new TR character, and I'm having trouble getting kills. I need tips on how to gain advantage in a firefight rather than end up dying. I play as Light Assault ATM and I'm trying to get as much kills as possible than deaths or, in simpler terms, make my K/D better.
Old 2013-06-04, 05:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Newbie Question. How to build up skill or kill more often than die?

Well, I would obviously point you to the Light Assault part of my guide thread for tips on how to play it effectively, as well as other parts of the thread that might help you.

Can't give you much in terms of tips myself, when it comes to Light Assaults. But...
Looking at what weapon's you've been using, I would certainly urge you to use the Jaguar more when running around as an LA. If you want to go for the TRAC, then get the S version just for the underslug.

Tips to get an upper hand in firefights? Don't stand still (Move around when being fired on), try to come from unexpected angles (Gives you the jump on them) and learn to control your recoil.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-06-04 at 05:01 AM.
Old 2013-06-04, 06:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Hamma
PSU Admin

I'd recommend trying all the different roles until you find a niche you are really good at then dig into that for a while and dump certs into it. I myself only started playing Infiltrator a few months after release and discovered it's really the best role for me. Just have to find that sweet spot that fits your playstyle

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-06-04, 07:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Aye I agree with that. You can try to force yourself to learn a particular playstyle, but it will take time.
You're better off finding what you feel most comfortable with, when you're just starting out.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-06-04, 08:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
findus

Thumbs up Re: Newbie Question. How to build up skill or kill more often than die?

Well, i second that...

I'm new to this and my stats show you that i have the same "problem".

The first days where very frustrating. I then thought way back when i played RTCW or TCE, where i mostly played Medic, so i went the path of a supportive guy playing engineer, handing out ammo, repairing Maxes and Tanks, liking the "Katching"-Sound of incoming certs. I am a very bad shot, i train in the VR but get better very slowly (my KD was down to 0.1 in the beginning). I choosed another weapon (spray and pray), which helped me a little in between. Then i found the turrets (AI and AV) and the Mana turret. That is my thing. Meanwhile i got me other weapons (the Lasher i like most, which i use on my Heavy, which i now play more often) and a shotung with slugs.
Look for the list of very helpful links, videos etc. to learn the game (here in the forum), get your gaming gear right (Mouse sensitivity etc) and then you may want to throw the thoughts about your KD out of the window and think about how to help you faction. That helps in the beginning, later we may get the possibility to reset our KD (if its still important to you).

Only my two cents, from someone who still does not know what to do when the SCU is down, shield generators are up, down or whatever or why there is a golden shield in the Tech Plant and whats the meaning of it.

Last edited by findus; 2013-06-04 at 08:13 AM.
Old 2013-06-04, 09:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
SDaxxter
Private

Originally Posted by HHCXVII View Post
Any tips? I've only played for about a total of 1 day and 2 hours, 2 hours on my new TR character, and I'm having trouble getting kills. I need tips on how to gain advantage in a firefight rather than end up dying. I play as Light Assault ATM and I'm trying to get as much kills as possible than deaths or, in simpler terms, make my K/D better.

Wahaha... if I only knew...

k/d 0,45 (on a good day)
I simply have too much fun in the middle of the action.

Try dodging once in a while. Not standing right at front. Stay near your squad members. Never walk alone.

Or drive a tank.
Old 2013-06-04, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

I would recommend Newbies start out with Heavy Assault and get used to killing, the Heavy Assault can kill hard and soft targets.. Also join a squad or platoon and work with a team of people to give you some support unitl you get comfy with the game control mechanics. Safety and killing power in numbers.

Your best bet is play light assault is situationally in verticle invironments with cover.
Old 2013-06-05, 01:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
HHCXVII
Private

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
Well, I would obviously point you to the Light Assault part of my guide thread for tips on how to play it effectively, as well as other parts of the thread that might help you.

Can't give you much in terms of tips myself, when it comes to Light Assaults. But...
Looking at what weapon's you've been using, I would certainly urge you to use the Jaguar more when running around as an LA. If you want to go for the TRAC, then get the S version just for the underslug.

Tips to get an upper hand in firefights? Don't stand still (Move around when being fired on), try to come from unexpected angles (Gives you the jump on them) and learn to control your recoil.
I already saw it. I found the vids very helpful. After today's session, I got my K/D higher, 43K and 57D! I'm working real hard to not die a lot!
Old 2013-06-05, 07:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
psijaka
Contributor
Major

If you are set on playing LA then my advice would be to make full use of your jump jets; this is what defines the class. Being able to move in 3 dimensions gives you a huge advantage, enabling you to get the jump on people, approach "A" from an unexpected direction, escape to high ground, scale AMP station walls etc etc. Well worth spending certs upgrading them.

Also, cert into 2 x C4 as soon as practical; deadly against MAXes (as I know to my cost), turrets and invaluable for getting at that otherwise inaccessible Sunderer hidden behind a building; just hop over the rooftops.

And I know it is disheartening to die a lot more than you kill, but try not to worry too much about K/D. Good luck!
Old 2013-06-05, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sarloh
Corporal

Here are some tips that I've learned:
- It's all on some factors, some of them are who fires faster, who aims better (aim for the head or the torso, hitting bad is better that not hitting anything), weapon stats for a certain situation (SMG will preform better at close range as assult rifles might preform better at long range),
- When it comes to weapons you see all those nice guns only that they are a bit expensive. Not to worry, for beginners the stock weapons are perfect, only thing that I would suggest is that you get the cheapest sniper rifle possible as it is way better then the stock one and when it comes to scopes at first I prefered to play without it, the visibility is better that with a scope, also if you are new (which you probably are) hitting the target isn't the easyest thing ever and I would not suggest getting the laser sights (and a small tip: flashlight is perfect for getting spotted and killed),
- I've came a pretty nice way by myself, 20 levels or something before I've joined an outfit (it's like a big group of players, like a clan of some sort) also if you wan't to play organised a squad/platoon is the best hit,
- a small tip: don't team kill,
- also this is my most important tactic: Adapt To The Situation, if there are tanks go heavy, if there are snipers go sniper, if there is a lot of aircraft go anti-air...,
- even a 1 cert upgrade can save your bacon.

Well this are just some the tips I know, I think I went a little off topic here but these tips shouldn't hurt.
Old 2013-06-06, 12:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
OCNSethy
Major

All great advice here and agree with it all.

Here are a several pieces of advice I was given as a BR1...

Never, ever, ever, go in first... Let someone be the bullet shield and follow them in.

Never stand in front of a Max, they will fire at some stage.

Always hit Q to spot enemies.

Have a play with all the classes, see what appeals to you and your play style

Dont worry about your K/D. Chasing a high K/D will force you to play conservatively and hinder your potiential.

But most of all... have fun

The kills will come once you are comfortable with your character and your weapon/s.

Last edited by OCNSethy; 2013-06-06 at 12:58 AM.
Old 2013-06-11, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Fpsnoob
Private

Originally Posted by HHCXVII View Post
I already saw it. I found the vids very helpful. After today's session, I got my K/D higher, 43K and 57D! I'm working real hard to not die a lot!
Dude your k/d is already loads better then like 70% of people in this game, me included lol

You gotta remember that this isn't like your typical shooter, there are many, many, MANY ways to die a BS death

Random tank round to the face, mines, aircrafts, friendly fire, nades, c-4, vehicles, sniper shot, and just plain falling

If you're not the sit and spawn shield and shoot out type and can maintain an over 1 k/d then you are really good already

Ultimately it doesn't matter as long as you are helping to capture or defend

If I can get 2 kills per death once in a while I would be pretty satisfied

once on TR I had 14 deaths in a row lol
Old 2013-06-12, 07:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

If you play for K/D - the best way to build your skill is (in such order):

a) Not to rush
b) Learn to shoot long range with your weapon. (It is escpecially important, since you are using a carbine.)
c) Learn to strafe. (It's simple - duck+strafe. Just remember never to strafe "mirrorly", it's easily predictable)
d) Switch to infil and just watch the enemy and friendly LAs play during the zerg. There are alot of tactical tricks you can learn just by doing that
e) Try at least two weapons, because every weapon has somewhat unique feel, and tastes differ. It may turn out that you're not proud of K/D simply because the gun you're using doesn't suit your playstyle.

Even more general advice - play solo. Like, - away from the zerg. The smaller the amount of people participating is, the easier it is to think, since there's rarely some random factor involved (like a guy suddenly appearing from hell knows where, or an ESF going for a suicide run).

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-07-23, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Calisai
Contributor
Sergeant

Real beginner tips.

Learn the bases and areas... preferably when they are empty or held by a lot of friendlies. Explore... learn where everything is. If you get a good base knowledge of the layout of most of the big bases (Tech, Amp, Bio) and tower layouts, then you will have a better idea of how the fights will go.

Basically, watch others and learn from what they do, and more importantly learn from their mistakes. If you see a character rush into a room and get mowed down... throw a concussion grenade in first, and then rush in... or better yet... try a different entrance, etc.

Also, sit in an AMS or two and just watch the flow of troops for a little bit. See how they move and attack. Find someone who seems to do well and follow them. Shadow them as a medic or engy and provide heals/ammo for them. All the while watching how they fight.

Being an engy and following a Max around is good xp as well... and most maxes love pocket engies (ie, stick close to them... as if you were in their back pocket). Try to keep the Max between you and the enemy while rep'ng them. If you get good at this... start to pay attention to those around you as they fight.

Most fights in this game are won before the first shot is fired. If you have superior position and the element of surprise you should be able to kill them before they kill you. That's the hard part though... getting that advantage, and staying out of situations where you have the disadvantage. It will come with time, experience and knowledge of the areas.

Oh, if your faction is camping a spawn room... don't stand still where you can see the shield. If you can see them, they can see you... and shoot you. I snipe oblivious campers from inside the spawn all the time. It's amazing how many people sit staring at a shield they can't shoot through waiting for someone to leave. It's basic sense to look through the windows before leaving a spawn room and see if there are any easy targets to kill before leaving. Don't be an easy target. (At the very least... keep moving... it'll stop the snipers from headshotting you)

Last edited by Calisai; 2013-07-23 at 05:09 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions