Driver/Gunners... NO! - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: where is your weapon? What weapon? THIS WEAPON!!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-10, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Re: Driver/Gunners... NO!

Cust -oh-my-zay-shun

Give us the option!
Old 2012-07-10, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by KaB View Post
This feature is going to kill the teamplay for sure. It comes from Dice's BF who recently destroyed its franchise with its third failed opus.

Im really wondering how SOE dealed with the casual/hardcore balance of the game. I know they need to make money, but if PS2 becomes one other stupid casual game for retarded-gamepad-kids it'll piss me off.
Woah, so DICE has been breaking their game since Battlefield 1942 where you could drive the tanks and gun them?

Also BF3 sold more than any other Battlefield game and has the largest active community of any previous Battlefield game. If you call that destroying a franchise, then I have no idea what the hell you call success.

I'm sorry, but it's comments like yours that make me hate a lot of PC gamers.

Don't bring that mentality in here. The mentality of "games were better before", "this game is dumbed down for the casuals","casual gamers are stupid", "im better than casual gamers because I like hardocre games"... that's all what truly ruins a community. Smugness, arrogance, and elitism.

If this is how a good chunk of this community is going to be, Planetside 2 is in trouble. Nothing sucks worse than a crappy community full of elitiests who think they are better than the "dumb masses".

Last edited by wasdie; 2012-07-10 at 03:30 PM.
Old 2012-07-10, 03:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Plunkies
Private

Separating the driver and gunner is just plain boring. A lot of tanking involves sitting still or edging out of cover, popping off a shot, and then going back into cover while your gun reloads. Imagine doing that for a couple minutes WITHOUT the fun of actually shooting something. It's awful.

When you separate the positions, you've got one guy toodling around in a tank and one guy playing the linear turret game. It's less engaging and requires less thought from both players, not to mention additional effort just to get people to drive/gun for you. It makes it needlessly more complicated for a less fun and less coordinated experience.
Old 2012-07-10, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Honestly this discussion has been done to death. If they made the drivers a completely boring role then they should do the same exact thing to aircraft. Aircraft are given both AI guns and AV weapons capable of killing a tank. Can you imagine how much the aircraft people here would bitch if people suggested they need a dedicated gunner to pull the trigger for their missiles?
Aircav = Lightning
Liberator = MBT

Or did I just blow your mind?
Old 2012-07-10, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
RSphil
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by vVRedOctoberVv View Post
The FPS gamers of today? You mean whiney 12 year olds playing CoD? Or grown men who act like whiney 12 year olds playing CoD? No thanks.
Yup. Thems the ones. And you can't avoid it. If planet side 2 is to stay alive we will have to accept them in game. But wit maps so big and so many fighters on hopefully they will shut up lol. Tbh I still think it comes down recourses. Which I think Higby has talked about a while back.
Old 2012-07-10, 03:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
MrKWalmsley
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Aberdash View Post
It's funny seeing people complain about the "dumb masses" and then complain that driving and shooting at the same time is too hard.
Personally I am against having one man tanks but for a totally different reason. I find being in full control of the tank is too easy, co-ordination is challenging and thus fun. Also, away from my own personal love of a challenge, in terms of actual gameplay mechanics, it encourages lone-wolfing, which is something I really don't want to see much of, and is antithetical to the strong team work the game seems to be built around utilising. If no-one is attacking us in force them it's like swatting flies, and the fight becomes too easy.

Last edited by MrKWalmsley; 2012-07-10 at 03:41 PM.
Old 2012-07-10, 03:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

Has nothing to do with PS1 nostalgia. I've only been playing PS1 for a week. And yes, I personally support making a niche game that caters to a smaller community and that is itself "better quality".

As for my stereotype... Stereotypes come about for a reason. Because 95% of the time they're true. It is the exceptions who prove the rule. And yes, assuming that most the population act like 12 year olds is a valid and understandable line of reasoning, because it's true.

Seriously, stop for five seconds and look at the world around and how whiney and instant-gratification oriented USA society is. Fuck the masses, they are their own worst problem.

Back OT... Wanting multiple crewmen, at least as an option, is not about "not being able to handle it", but about encouraging reliance on one another i.e. teamwork.

There ARE solo vehicles already, the smaller vehicles, the light tank, some of the aircraft (which don't really need multiple crew members since they pretty much fire straight ahead anyway, a second person would be more than a little redundant).

As for disliking the masses and then encouraging reliance on other people. Yes, that is somewhat of contradiction. However, I joined an organised group who are team oriented, therefore that is not such a problem for me. Zerglings or solo people, by their nature, will be less suited to this kind of "work together" sort of thing, although there are exceptions.

It's all preference, regarding the game. And if my way of doing things turns people off, well too bad. I personally would rather have something of good quality, than dumbed down so people coming from even more dumbed down shit can jump right in and feel at home.

As for my views on games being different from "the masses", you bet your ass. My views on morals, ethics, religion, politics, and a number of other things are also noticeably different from the majority. Generally, if something is "mainstream" it's fucked up in some way or other. Games are no different.
Old 2012-07-10, 03:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Vreki
Corporal

I feel its a shame that they have let one of Planetsides unique features go.

Its not that I cant drive and gun at the same time, but in games like BF it is less of "tank crew teamwork" and more of "you and that annoying guy who keeps giving away your position with the MG."

Light tanks for solo, MBTs for teams please.
Old 2012-07-10, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

Has nothing to do with PS1 nostalgia. I've only been playing PS1 for a week. And yes, I personally support making a niche game that caters to a smaller community and that is itself "better quality".
I think that's all I needed to know. They aren't trying to make a game that caters to a small community. If you want that, go play WWII Online. They've been bending over backwards to their community and the community's vision of "better quality" and it has nearly ruined that game.
Old 2012-07-10, 03:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
MrKWalmsley
First Sergeant

Generally, if something is "mainstream" it's fucked up in some way or other.
Wow. Not elitist at all.
Old 2012-07-10, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Aberdash
Corporal

Originally Posted by MrKWalmsley View Post
Personally I am against having one man tanks but for a totally different reason. I find being in full control of the tank is too easy, co-ordination is challenging and thus fun. Also, away from my own personal love of a challenge, in terms of actual gameplay mechanics, it encourages lone-wolfing, which is something I really don't want to see much of, and is antithetical to the strong team work the game seems to be built around utilising. If no-one is attacking us in force them it's like swatting flies, and the fight becomes too easy.
Making things harder just to make things harder is not good design.

Also I don't think you thought out your post very well. If you are lonewolfing you are going to get picked off. The point of the game is to take bases so enemies trickling in is likely to be rare.

Last edited by Aberdash; 2012-07-10 at 03:49 PM.
Old 2012-07-10, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

Wow. Not elitist at all.
Lol agreed, this guy is the original hipster.
Old 2012-07-10, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by RSphil View Post
Yup. Thems the ones. And you can't avoid it. If planet side 2 is to stay alive we will have to accept them in game. But wit maps so big and so many fighters on hopefully they will shut up lol. Tbh I still think it comes down recourses. Which I think Higby has talked about a while back.

Yeah... I know... But I can still complain about it in the meantime
Old 2012-07-10, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
KaB
Corporal

Originally Posted by wasdie View Post
Woah, so DICE has been breaking their game since Battlefield 1942 where you could drive the tanks and gun them?

Also BF3 sold more than any other Battlefield game and has the largest active community of any previous Battlefield game. If you call that destroying a franchise, then I have no idea what the hell you call success.
A successful game is a game that you start many years after its start (considering that you played at lot at its start) and you realize this game is still awesome. In the case that you still find players to play with of course.

What I'm saying is that BF was on a good way to become better. They got vehicles into games with BF1942, then other crazy games went into the fight like ArmA (let's say OpF HD), PS1, later RO1, and Project Reality of BF2. Im not only talking about these games because they have two seats in the tanks, but making a u-turn like in PS2 from PS1 is a terrible mistake. BF3 didnt bring two seats in the tank, but everything else got worse. BC2 became so boring, and this is what's BF3 going to be in few months.

Realism = Evolution.

And how much from you did play PS1 ? Was this feature bad for you ? Why didnt you complain about it already ? You dont really know what you want dont you. You just want a game with big awesome graphics, big guns, big vehicles, end of the story. Smart.

Last edited by KaB; 2012-07-10 at 03:53 PM.
Old 2012-07-10, 03:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

Wow. Not elitist at all.
It's not elitist to acknowledge that human society at all levels is screwed up. Turn on the news if you don't believe me.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion