The balance issue with multi-gunned vehicles - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You WILL NOT gain CEPs for posts...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-27, 12:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
CutterJohn
Colonel

Re: The balance issue with multi-gunned vehicles

Originally Posted by Aractain View Post
Not every vehicle has to be a combat vehicle though.
Obviously. I'm just saying a ground transport either has to be a combat vehicle, or bring something extra to the table besides merely hauling grunts(AMS functionality, BF2142 style pods, etc), to be worthwhile.

Getting your carcass to the next fight is not difficult, and the delis in PS offer little incentive to use them over gunning, getting your own vehicle, or going in a galaxy, which has a number of advantages over the deli.
Old 2011-07-28, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
kaffis
Contributor
Major

I wonder if weather could play a part in this? Violent storms that make flying inherently more dangerous and difficult to control/navigate, while also disrupting things like spawning to Galaxies and spawning on squad members...
Old 2011-07-28, 12:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Getting your carcass to the next fight is not difficult, and the delis in PS offer little incentive to use them over gunning, getting your own vehicle, or going in a galaxy, which has a number of advantages over the deli.
The Deliverer's one advantage over a Galaxy is availability. You don't even need a tech plant, much less a dropship center, to get one. It's not a first choice, it's a less-awful fallback position.

But for PS2: gun ports would be nice for all those passengers. And someone also mentioned "sockets" for MAX suits that would leave them partially exposed and let them fire.
Old 2011-07-28, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Brusi
Contributor
Major

I think i would like to see some sort of Overdrive gear on ground transports and perhaps some of the more lightly armored multi-person vehicles.

Kinda like the MAX running mode, disabling the weapons when your speed goes over the overdrive limit perhaps.

Also agree with varied gunner seat positions, perhaps even have some soley utility gunner positions. Need someone present in the EMP seat to active the EMP, or need someone in the radar seat, to activate radar functionality.
Old 2011-07-28, 08:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Headrattle
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Gun ports is an excellent idea. Not as much firepower as a 12mm cannon, but you still get to fire a weapon at stuff. Should you exclude certain weapons?
Old 2011-07-28, 10:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Sovereign
Staff Sergeant

Open gun ports for infantry that is, if you do it for maxes as well then you'll needlessly complicate it balance wise..
Old 2011-07-29, 03:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
CutterJohn
Colonel

If you insist on adding popguns to the side of the vehicle, then just have a pre installed firing port weapon.
Old 2011-07-30, 02:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Headrattle
Contributor
Sergeant Major

That is fine. A punisher for each passenger. Limited field of fire, but the guy gets to shoot at stuff. Not that over powered because it is just as if the guy were walking anyway.

FPS players like to shoot stuff. Allowing passengers the ability to shoot stuff (even if mostly ineffective) will increase the usage of a transport. Using a type of weapon that would be on par with something they would have anyway if they were running from point A to point B would make a lot of sense.
Old 2011-07-30, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Headrattle View Post
FPS players like to shoot stuff. Allowing passengers the ability to shoot stuff (even if mostly ineffective) will increase the usage of a transport. Using a type of weapon that would be on par with something they would have anyway if they were running from point A to point B would make a lot of sense.
A fair point.

Though I still don't understand why you think they'd be running...
Old 2011-07-31, 05:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Though I still don't understand why you think they'd be running...
Coming from any other wide-field FPS, the assumption is pretty natural. Limited transport that's more ground focused. New players are gonna be in for a shock if PS2 is like PS1.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
Old 2011-08-01, 09:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
NYRampage
Private

This type of conversation is going to be good to have but probably not until we have more details. Already they are hinting at hundreds of perks/certs etc that are going to affect the balancing. Frankly, I'm worried they will be able to balance it all because there will be so many combinations to be had. (I can't wait to see a cert tree published)
Old 2011-08-01, 12:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Originally Posted by NYRampage View Post
Frankly, I'm worried they will be able to balance it all because there will be so many combinations to be had. (I can't wait to see a cert tree published)
This is cited as one of the reasons to do away with the free-form inventory. A given class will have access to X, Y, and Z, but those things are designed with balanced interactions in mind. A, B, and C, will NOT be available in that class, and some Game Breaking Interactions between them simply aren't issues.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion