News: SOE announces Alpha Squad - Page 10 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If you thought life sucked, try being a Vanu recruiter
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Reply
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-09-10, 01:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #136
derito
Contributor
Sergeant
 
derito's Avatar
 
Re: SOE announces Alpha Squad


Originally Posted by T-Ray View Post
who knows, right now, its not in the plans. Joe and I are working on the art book with the hopes of selling it at SOE LIVE
I hope you will have a thought for those living on another continent and make it purchaisable online
__________________
Pew ! Pew ! Pew ! Pew !
derito is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 03:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #137
Ipimpnoobs
Sergeant
 
Re: SOE announces Alpha Squad


I don't know if joe is the asian dude that drew the gun on the fast forward vid, but you guys need to highlight that guy and I hope he gets royalties. His work is tight, awesome and fantastic! Shit, give him a website called Bob Ross's master dot com. If I had that dudes skill, I would have already made my own art design company.

lagggggn bro...laggn


Oh and about the Micheal Jackson.... was that a racist joke? I always new hig was a KKK Klansmen. I'm jus say'n...its kinda odd. Plus the *** fro joke in that one video. Then he did that Jayce joke commercial acting like a "southern" person. It's 2012, can't we just all get a long.

Last edited by Ipimpnoobs; 2012-09-10 at 04:20 AM.
Ipimpnoobs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 06:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #138
Jonny
Master Sergeant
 
Jonny's Avatar
 
Re: SOE announces Alpha Squad


Originally Posted by T-Ray View Post
We are here for the community as the community is here for us. I love this team, community, and this game just like you guys do.
As you and Matt are reading this thread, I'd like to spew a little on this game in general in the hope that you read this. I am and will be doing my fair share of bug reporting and complaining when I see mechanics that don't work well or what I think are hastily made changes/additions to the game. (such as my comments in my previous post)

Firstly I'd like to thank you as developers for your amazing energy and from what I’ve seen, the best developer interaction with their community. You obviously know how important this is and you seem to be taking the right approach to making steady changes and improvements based on the feedback you are getting from players. Keep it up!

I still have my concerns about how this game turns out but I want to also voice my praises from my limited (and bad fps – im getting a new PC) experiences so far.

Praise!
  • Awesome scale and epic feeling to the battles. It’s amazing seeing a gal fly overhead with its engines shimmering, or she sun rising and flooding the sky in pink. For the most part, gorgeous world and lighting.
  • Good feeling to the guns, turrets and most of all vehicles in the game. It felt great the first time I got in a reaver and crashed it into the ground tail first. Love the learning curve with flying which I can tell is something that can be practised to perfection.
  • Gorgeous vehicle design all round.
  • Good explosions/particle effects (especially at night with tracers)
  • It’s awesome to work as a team in this game.
  • Sound. (Music is growing on me) Just really great sound design in this game, from galaxy engines to distant echoing booms of explosions. Very impressed!
Concerns!
  • A few aspects of character design (unlikely to change I know)
  • Character movement animations are decent but I think could be better/smoother.
  • The big picture goals to the game – will there be a win conditions like continent locks? Will there be freedom to fly between continents? These are aspects of the first games which seemed good but are not yet in Planeside 2. (Didn't play PS1 so not an authority on this at all. I understand PS2 is a different game but its most similar to PS1 so surely it can learn from it)

-----

I can’t wait to experience it properly once I can run it smoothly, and I hope you can get the game more playable for older hardware too.

Thanks for all your hard work.
Jonny is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 06:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #139
Diehard
Corporal
 
Diehard's Avatar
 
Re: SOE announces Alpha Squad


I would like to comment on the character animation as well, right now for me they look a bit awkward, esp. the run cycle. Other than that, awesome jobs devs!
Diehard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #140
Tatwi
Contributor
Major
 
Re: SOE announces Alpha Squad


Originally Posted by T-Ray View Post
ok, I'm going to start this conversation off like this. Respect the work that was done if you truly want a respectful response. I may be a dev and I may work for Sony but that doesn't mean that I wont speak my mind when someone insults the hard work that my team put in on this project. It's ok not to like everything in the game. I have no illusions that everyone will love everything we do but if you really want a dialogue with me then you better come correct with the question.

anyway. Each non-neutral tint will have faction specific colors in them so that no one can buy a tint that makes them look like the other factions. I tweeted out the color palettes some time ago. We will be using the colors combinations from each one of those swatches to tint non-neutral camo patterns. So if you have a digital camo it will be a tones in the range of grey, warm grey, red, and charcoal for the TR.
As a person who has three young children, I'm sorry to have offended you by saying that the suit "camo" looks like something they've done, but that's what came to my mind and that's what I shared. Perhaps I should keep my "sense of humour" to myself. I am, however, not at all sorry that I don't like the "camo" and that I find it ugly and that I told you so; These things happen.

Incidentally, I think the tank "camos" look fine, largely because they aren't a bunch of tiny splotches of colour, but swaths of colour that compliment the shape of the tanks.



I would have preferred a design along the lines of the far right in this picture, which is a progression of the design on the far left. Instead we have the "camo" offered in the Alpha Squad, which to me just seems flamboyant for the sake being so and more like a pair of PJs than a military uniform. Add to that how I don't appreciate the visual effect of "camo pattern" and you end up at my disappointment that it's the only suit that comes with the AS. I think that's a fair and reasonable assessment and expression of my feelings on the matter.

Douching it up with pride, Gangnam style,

- Tatwi
__________________
Tatwi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 01:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #141
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel
 
EVILPIG's Avatar
 
Re: SOE announces Alpha Squad


I like the way the Alpha camos look, but either way, I think the point is to have them recognizable to distinguish who is flaunting their Alpha. I will be personally hosting an all Alpha Squad Raid.
__________________
"That which does not kill us,
makes us stronger
" -Nietzsche

www.planetside-devildogs.com
EVILPIG is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 02:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #142
Dagron
Captain
 
Dagron's Avatar
 
Re: SOE announces Alpha Squad


The guy didn't like the camo and tried to convey how much he disliked it. It's easy to get offended when people criticize us on the internet because of all the trolls and jerks, but in this case (probably because it wasn't directed at me) it didn't sound to me like he was trying to insult anyone. While discussing on internet forums, sometimes we all make over the top comments without thinking of how others will feel about it and also overreact to such comments when they're directed at ourselves (i know i often do). Knowing that, i always try to remember to add a grain of salt.

Now, i don't want to piss anyone off, but i feel that if we don't like something, we should talk about it (otherwise how will people know that there's a part of the community that was expecting something better?). That said, i'm sorry to say that i'm not a fan of the AS infantry camo either, i wouldn't buy it if it was in the store. In fact since cosmetics are the only reason i'd buy the AS pack, i feel that a simple camo that doesn't feel particularly special doesn't make me want to buy any more SC than i already have (i bought some because i want to support PS2), and that's what the AS is: SC with some free stuff that doesn't interest me.
__________________

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-09-10 at 02:22 PM.
Dagron is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #143
ISVRaDa
Private
 
ISVRaDa's Avatar
 
Re: SOE announces Alpha Squad


I bought my "Alpha Squad" today ^^

Now I need a new PC for the release...
__________________
Long ago ran the sun on a folk who had a dream
And the heart and the will and the power:
They moved the earth; they carved the stone; moulded hill and channeled stream
That we might stand on the wide plains of Wiltshire...
ISVRaDa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #144
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major
 
Soothsayer's Avatar
 
Re: SOE announces Alpha Squad


Hey Higby or TRay, I'm not sure who to go to with this, but when I try to buy the alpha squad from that link it gives me an error.

I'm pretty close to being maxed out on SC, (the SC from the pack would put me over the 50k limit) so I'm wondering if that's what it is. I've submitted a ticket though.

Last edited by Soothsayer; 2012-09-10 at 04:59 PM. Reason: readability
Soothsayer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #145
RoninOni
Sergeant Major
 
RoninOni's Avatar
 
Re: SOE announces Alpha Squad


Originally Posted by T-Ray View Post
ok, I'm going to start this conversation off like this. Respect the work that was done if you truly want a respectful response. I may be a dev and I may work for Sony but that doesn't mean that I wont speak my mind when someone insults the hard work that my team put in on this project. It's ok not to like everything in the game. I have no illusions that everyone will love everything we do but if you really want a dialogue with me then you better come correct with the question.
Real Talk.

I understand how lots of people may not like X or Y about a game in development and they want to make the devs hear and understand their feelings.....

but how attacking their work with derogatory statements ever going to help you sell your ideas?

I see this a LOT, on the multitude of beta forums I'm on or been on. Even worse are the direct personal attacks.

Respect and Courtesy make the world go round. If you ain't with that, you're gonna find yourself left behind everytime.

Originally Posted by Dagron View Post
The guy didn't like the camo and tried to convey how much he disliked it.
He could have simply said

"Hey TRay, I know a lot of people love this camo but I just never see myself using it, not my style. Any chance for..."

And there would have been nothing wrong with that.

Instead he said that their professional hard work looked like "child's scribbling", was ugly, and a few other unnecessary opinionated criticisms. That's derogatory... ESPECIALLY to an artist.

It's fine not to like something, you don't need to invent insults to convey that though... just say "hey, I don't really like it"
__________________


Yah, I said it... wut?
They all got fun toys
RoninOni is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 09:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #146
Raka Maru
Major
 
Raka Maru's Avatar
 


When I first saw the AS skins, the first thing that came to mind was extreme faction pride. I think that was the look they were going for. I would wear it for events as well as when I'm not trying to blend in.

Bought the AS pack, as I said before. Glad to be part of AS. Bought it for the Title (Founder), everything else was gravy and good for me.

Awesome job Devs!!!
__________________
Extreme Stealthing
Raka Maru is offline  
Reply With Quote
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-09-11, 02:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #147
T-Ray
PlanetSide 2
Sr. Art Director
 
Re: SOE announces Alpha Squad


Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
As you and Matt are reading this thread, I'd like to spew a little on this game in general in the hope that you read this. I am and will be doing my fair share of bug reporting and complaining when I see mechanics that don't work well or what I think are hastily made changes/additions to the game. (such as my comments in my previous post)

Firstly I'd like to thank you as developers for your amazing energy and from what I’ve seen, the best developer interaction with their community. You obviously know how important this is and you seem to be taking the right approach to making steady changes and improvements based on the feedback you are getting from players. Keep it up!

I still have my concerns about how this game turns out but I want to also voice my praises from my limited (and bad fps – im getting a new PC) experiences so far.

Praise!
  • Awesome scale and epic feeling to the battles. It’s amazing seeing a gal fly overhead with its engines shimmering, or she sun rising and flooding the sky in pink. For the most part, gorgeous world and lighting.
  • Good feeling to the guns, turrets and most of all vehicles in the game. It felt great the first time I got in a reaver and crashed it into the ground tail first. Love the learning curve with flying which I can tell is something that can be practised to perfection.
  • Gorgeous vehicle design all round.
  • Good explosions/particle effects (especially at night with tracers)
  • It’s awesome to work as a team in this game.
  • Sound. (Music is growing on me) Just really great sound design in this game, from galaxy engines to distant echoing booms of explosions. Very impressed!
Concerns!
  • A few aspects of character design (unlikely to change I know)
  • Character movement animations are decent but I think could be better/smoother.
  • The big picture goals to the game – will there be a win conditions like continent locks? Will there be freedom to fly between continents? These are aspects of the first games which seemed good but are not yet in Planeside 2. (Didn't play PS1 so not an authority on this at all. I understand PS2 is a different game but its most similar to PS1 so surely it can learn from it)

-----
A few aspects of character design (unlikely to change I know)???

like what?

Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I would like to comment on the character animation as well, right now for me they look a bit awkward, esp. the run cycle. Other than that, awesome jobs devs!
been having this convo with the lead animator

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
As a person who has three young children, I'm sorry to have offended you by saying that the suit "camo" looks like something they've done, but that's what came to my mind and that's what I shared. Perhaps I should keep my "sense of humour" to myself. I am, however, not at all sorry that I don't like the "camo" and that I find it ugly and that I told you so; These things happen.

Incidentally, I think the tank "camos" look fine, largely because they aren't a bunch of tiny splotches of colour, but swaths of colour that compliment the shape of the tanks.



I would have preferred a design along the lines of the far right in this picture, which is a progression of the design on the far left. Instead we have the "camo" offered in the Alpha Squad, which to me just seems flamboyant for the sake being so and more like a pair of PJs than a military uniform. Add to that how I don't appreciate the visual effect of "camo pattern" and you end up at my disappointment that it's the only suit that comes with the AS. I think that's a fair and reasonable assessment and expression of my feelings on the matter.

Douching it up with pride, Gangnam style,

- Tatwi
So you know, there is only one camo pattern? the one on the tank is the same one on the character. So the character looks like a 3rd grader did it but the take looks pro? i'm not really sure how that is possible.

As to the progression in Planetside2 the characters dont rank up that way mainly because we wanted the players to have a choice in what he or she looked like at every step of the way.

Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
No need to diss the new cams in order to ask for the old.

If this conversation could begin again...

Tatwi: Tray can we have throwback cams?
Tray: Love you guys, I'll put that on the to-do list.

Simples. It is not what you say, it is how you say it.
we are planning on putting in the old models as is, so if you want your old ps1 char, you can look just like that in ps2

Originally Posted by Soothsayer View Post
Hey Higby or TRay, I'm not sure who to go to with this, but when I try to buy the alpha squad from that link it gives me an error.

I'm pretty close to being maxed out on SC, (the SC from the pack would put me over the 50k limit) so I'm wondering if that's what it is. I've submitted a ticket though.
its because of the limit. hit this guy up on twitter he can help [email protected]

Originally Posted by RoninOni View Post
Real Talk.

I understand how lots of people may not like X or Y about a game in development and they want to make the devs hear and understand their feelings.....

but how attacking their work with derogatory statements ever going to help you sell your ideas?

I see this a LOT, on the multitude of beta forums I'm on or been on. Even worse are the direct personal attacks.

Respect and Courtesy make the world go round. If you ain't with that, you're gonna find yourself left behind everytime.

and its just that simple werd ... forum is saying i have to be at least 4 characters so I am typing more than i need to

He could have simply said

"Hey TRay, I know a lot of people love this camo but I just never see myself using it, not my style. Any chance for..."

And there would have been nothing wrong with that.

Instead he said that their professional hard work looked like "child's scribbling", was ugly, and a few other unnecessary opinionated criticisms. That's derogatory... ESPECIALLY to an artist.

It's fine not to like something, you don't need to invent insults to convey that though... just say "hey, I don't really like it"
and of course the forum is tripping it wont let me post

Last edited by Gryphon; 2012-09-11 at 02:55 AM.
T-Ray is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 04:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #148
Froglicker
Corporal
 
Re: SOE announces Alpha Squad


Originally Posted by T-Ray View Post
A few aspects of character design (unlikely to change I know)???

like what?
Are there going to be any changes/tweaks/improvements to the VS MAX's current default look? I've mentioned a few times on the beta forums that the current VS MAX's look less like an exo-suit that either gender could wear, and more like a large muscular man wearing gun hands and a few bits of armor.

With the NC/TR MAX's, I can believe that a female may be in there with very thick protection. The VS MAX on the other hand, doesn't invoke that feeling. Rather, it invokes in me the idea of the big semi-shirtless muscular guy they send after the hero in action movies (not that those guys aren't awesome or intimidating. They just don't fit with what MAXes are described as).

I've heard that with certain customization options they'll get their shoulder pads and jetpack-thingies back, but without them (or something to replace them) they look a bit naked.

One idea to handle this may be to add more bits of visual armor, like on the shoulders, back, chest, and legs. Another may be to add more mechanical and wire-y bits to increase the mechanical look of the suit closer to the concept art, rather than parts looking like sculpted muscle.

Last edited by Froglicker; 2012-09-11 at 04:04 AM.
Froglicker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 04:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #149
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major
 
Sturmhardt's Avatar
 


I bought the alpha squad package to support the game and the devs. Still I think the Camo does not look pretty on the nc soldiers (Im nc), no offense. Also the alpha squad decal is not something I would have bought because it is so beautiful
I don't need a ps2 decal in ps2 to be honest.

Still,I bought it because pretty much everything else is great about ps2 and right now it is the only fps that could some day make me truly happy in a gaming manner of speaking. Keep up the good work!
__________________

Last edited by Sturmhardt; 2012-09-11 at 04:31 AM.
Sturmhardt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 04:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #150
Dagron
Captain
 
Dagron's Avatar
 
Re: SOE announces Alpha Squad


Originally Posted by T-Ray View Post
So you know, there is only one camo pattern?
The problem seems to be with the scale, in the AS page pics the pattern is barely discernible in the infantry uniforms.
__________________

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-09-11 at 04:46 AM.
Dagron is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Bookmarks

Discord

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 PM.

Content © 2002-2013, PlanetSide-Universe.com, All rights reserved.
PlanetSide and the SOE logo are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. © 2004 Sony Online Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved.
All other trademarks or tradenames are properties of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.