The only thing that will destroy planetside 2. - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Playing "catch" with a Vanguard shell. Not a good idea.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-09, 02:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Hypevosa
Sergeant

Re: The only thing that will destroy planetside 2.

I thought they already mentioned in the thread about boosting that they'd have things running perpetual analysis on players that would mark the liklihood of them using cheats, and that anyone with a high mark would be monitored by a in game GM until it was determined if they were indeed cheating or not. If you're using an aim bot it should be pretty obvious from anyone watching you in your own first person perspective that you're cheating. Having GMs that monitor for hackers is a great idea, and it should also be fairly effective if they have the right tools.
Old 2012-06-09, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Well pella do you not have 1 x ironmole in your outfit?

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2012-06-09, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
goneglockin
Sergeant

I am totally cool with requiring credit card/check card information to play, and then banning users by that.
Old 2012-06-09, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
bjorntju1
Captain

Originally Posted by goneglockin View Post
I am totally cool with requiring credit card/check card information to play, and then banning users by that.
But the problem is that many players, especially in Europe don't have credit cards. I have one, but I know lots of people not having one.
Old 2012-06-09, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Coreldan
Colonel

APB is still very much alive despite of cheaters. Yes, they are a problem with F2P like APB or Planetside, no doubt. That said, majority of hackusations going around in APB have no base whatsoever. That doesn't mean that there wouldn't be real cheaters around, but still.

Problem with GMs are that they are expensive and inefficient. They will only catch the blatant cases that arn't even trying to hide it, something that, in a perfect world, the anti cheat should be able to catch. Anyone who actually tones down the cheats and uses the less blatant means won't get caught by a GM. That said, statistics + observation can get you somewhere, but you are always on the brink there whether you are about to ban just a really amazing player using VoIP efficiently (a poor mans wallhack in games like APB).

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-06-09, 03:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by BigBossMonkey View Post
Hah. That was the only online game I ever cheated in. I always played on a server with the same group (everyone was cheating)

It was hilariously fun.
HAHAHA I'm glad someone knows what I'm talking about, it was literally a cheat war. The best one was when people flew up and down in one spot really quickly and shot like 10 grenades a second lol.

Also This....

Last edited by Gonefshn; 2012-06-09 at 03:48 PM.
Old 2012-06-09, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
HAHAHA I'm glad someone knows what I'm talking about, it was literally a cheat war. The best one was when people flew up and down in one spot really quickly and shot like 10 grenades a second lol.

Also This....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdkYUjlzXXc
Except that's hardly a subtle aimbot. I've seen a few videos of ones that were much harder to detect. Those are the ones we have to worry about since the CSRs might not notice them at a glance.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2012-06-09, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Nasher
Sergeant

If they really have admins monitoring battles, they should just allow them to use a 1st person spectator cam on any player they choose. It's pretty obvious to see when someone is cheating from 1st person view, just as it was in counter-strike.

Also most online games keep very detailed server logs (of just about everything you do), it's just a matter of picking out anomalies and investigating. Once you figure out the patterns it becomes very easy to spot people cheating (at least it was in the online game I worked for years ago). Bots etc cannot mimic human behaviour very well no matter how much they claim to. They stick out a mile when you know what to look for :P

Last edited by Nasher; 2012-06-09 at 04:29 PM.
Old 2012-06-09, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
If they really have admins monitoring battles, they should allow them to use 1st person spectator cam on any player they choose. It's pretty obvious to see who is cheating from 1st person.
Like I said, I've seen some pretty sophisticated aimbots on youtube. They simulate random movements and missed shots. Hopefully the admins will have the tools they need to be able to detect those bots as well.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2012-06-09, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
bjorntju1
Captain

Hacking is the only thing I am afraid of for this game. They are saying they have multiple systems in place to prevent it. But I have to see if that is enough. I am not a fan of punkbuster. Just see how that turned out with BF3... The fact it is F2P just makes them come back. You can IP ban them but they will find a way around that. I really hope they have a lot of stuff to prevent this. But I am not really convinced the game will be hack free.

Last edited by bjorntju1; 2012-06-09 at 04:40 PM.
Old 2012-06-09, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Juturna
Private

They said they would have mods in game 24/7. Do your part to report them whenever you see them and leave the rest to them. If enough people do this they'll get the picture and stop.
Old 2012-06-09, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
bjorntju1
Captain

Originally Posted by Juturna View Post
They said they would have mods in game 24/7. Do your part to report them whenever you see them and leave the rest to them. If enough people do this they'll get the picture and stop.
Yeah, but the problem with mods is they can't monitor 2000 people. And even if 100 people report that someone is hacking. The damage has already been done. (hell, imagine a hack that can kill everyone on the continent with the push of a button) I just really hope the anti-hacking software is enough to stop them. Or atleast a system that can detect hackers really fast. But the fact that it is a F2P game makes it really easy to just create a new account and start hacking again.

I do remember Punkbuster having a hardware ban. That way you can only play punkbuster enabled games again if you buy a new computer/or a certain component. That would be pretty good. But then of course, they need to make really sure they aren't banning innocent players.

Last edited by bjorntju1; 2012-06-09 at 04:56 PM.
Old 2012-06-09, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by bjorntju1 View Post
Yeah, but the problem with mods is they can't monitor 2000 people. And even if 100 people report that someone is hacking. The damage has already been done. (hell, imagine a hack that can kill everyone on the continent with the push of a button) I just really hope the anti-hacking software is enough to stop them. Or atleast a system that can detect hackers really fast. But the fact that it is a F2P game makes it really easy to just create a new account and start hacking again.
I don't think we can reasonable expect mods to prevent the initial damage hackers do in a short time. They are there to ban the players who are known to hack as a deterrent to other hackers.
Old 2012-06-09, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
bjorntju1
Captain

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
I don't think we can reasonable expect mods to prevent the initial damage hackers do in a short time. They are there to ban the players who are known to hack as a deterrent to other hackers.
Yes, and that is why they need to make sure it is almost impossible to hack this game. If it takes 3 hours to get a hacker banned, he will create a new account afterwards and do it again and again. That is what I am afraid off. But we will see in the full game how it plays out. But yeah, if the word comes out that people who hack get banned really quickly. Many people won't even try to hack since you get banned really quick.

Last edited by bjorntju1; 2012-06-09 at 05:02 PM.
Old 2012-06-09, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
smogzy
Private

Ip and hardware bans can be circumvented by the most determined hackers and people will found ways around anti cheat software. So whatever SOE do there will be hackers and cheats, I just hope they got some pretty robust systems in place to catch and ban these idiots very very quickly.

I've always thought that best way to deter hackers is to link the account to something that has value..... Credit / Debit card numbers spring to mind. But I can’t see this being done and I don’t think any FTP game has used this system yet. Sort of defeats the point of having to have a CC for a FTP game and would deter potential customers
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion