News: The PlanetSide 2 on Playstation 4 MEGA THREAD - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Reject Me!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-06-09, 10:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
moosepoop
Captain

Re: The PlanetSide 2 on Playstation 4 MEGA THREAD

ps4 will at least double profits. more money= more content and development. it will defintely be a good thing.
Old 2013-06-09, 11:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
MrKwatz
Private

They're going to have to redesign most of if not all of the UI to get this to work with the console. The HUD will also need to be addressed for making it readable at the DPI and distances of TV viewing. This is going to be the biggest possible front facing change for PC players.

It could lead to a few things. Having two wholly separate branches of the game is going to have to happen, but it would be good to have absolute feature parody between them. The controller UI should be toggleable in both environments if it proves to decrease efficiency of kb/m, perhaps defaulting to it on the initial install based on whether you have a kb/m or controller plugged in on the consoles or PC. With the HUD being redesigned hopefully it leads to them completely rebuilding it with modularity and user customizability in mind, perhaps allowing different preset configurations for TV/Monitors(/Vita remote play?) and a Custom setting that allows users to drag around, resize, recolor, hide, and otherwise adjust elements.

Last edited by MrKwatz; 2013-06-09 at 11:14 AM.
Old 2013-06-09, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Whiteagle
Major

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post
Planetside 2 so far has been a defacto beta for PS2 on PS4.

Because of all the improvements that have been made PS2 on PS4 is going to be a bigger success than PC with a higher rate of new player retention.

The devs realized this ealry on. PS2 on PS4 is the real product.
My god... this explains EVERYTHING!
Old 2013-06-09, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Root Hade
Corporal

Originally Posted by MrKwatz View Post
They're going to have to redesign most of if not all of the UI to get this to work with the console. The HUD will also need to be addressed for making it readable at the DPI and distances of TV viewing. This is going to be the biggest possible front facing change for PC players.

It could lead to a few things. Having two wholly separate branches of the game is going to have to happen, but it would be good to have absolute feature parody between them. The controller UI should be toggleable in both environments if it proves to decrease efficiency of kb/m, perhaps defaulting to it on the initial install based on whether you have a kb/m or controller plugged in on the consoles or PC. With the HUD being redesigned hopefully it leads to them completely rebuilding it with modularity and user customizability in mind, perhaps allowing different preset configurations for TV/Monitors(/Vita remote play?) and a Custom setting that allows users to drag around, resize, recolor, hide, and otherwise adjust elements.
Vita remote play o.o That would crazy but I can't imagine it'll be perfect for multiplayer stuff.

As for the UI, would be interesting if they had a 'streamlined' HUD/UI for the consoles thats also an option for PC (there is that UI pass coming up). Would be interesting to give consoles the option of the PC UI. Remember the PS4 console has a touchpad that could work for cursor input for that.

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post
Planetside 2 so far has been a defacto beta for PS2 on PS4.

Because of all the improvements that have been made PS2 on PS4 is going to be a bigger success than PC with a higher rate of new player retention.

The devs realized this ealry on. PS2 on PS4 is the real product.
So PS2 on PC isn't a 'real' product because of a lower population? Right.

Originally Posted by Whiteagle View Post
My god... this explains EVERYTHING!
Or you know the fact that Smed said ages ago that they're changing their business design for MMOs, to release them earlier and open up their game designs to changes. The huge player count of MMOs literally breaks the traditional prototype stage of game design. Plus with the nature of MMOs being updated so often, the stage of something being finished, or rather polished, becomes blurred. I think console people still won't find PS2 welcoming unless theres some newb server where people can actually learn the game with people at similar skill/knowledge level instead of being thrown into the boiling pot with everyone else. Would be perfect for outfit recruiting too.

Hopefully at E3 we can get some answers from devs whether they're afraid of differences growing between the two versions of the game or if they want to keep things consistent. Just afraid of potential features being held back for PC because it'd be a struggle for the PS4.

Last edited by Root Hade; 2013-06-09 at 12:44 PM.
Old 2013-06-09, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Root Hade View Post
Or you know the fact that Smed said ages ago that they're changing their business design for MMOs, to release them earlier and open up their game designs to changes. The huge player count of MMOs literally breaks the traditional prototype stage of game design. Plus with the nature of MMOs being updated so often, the stage of something being finished, or rather polished, becomes blurred.
"open up their game designs to changes" translates to: do not listen to what people tell you during "beta" and then change large parts of your game six months later down the line, when many players have already left.
Old 2013-06-09, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Rolfski
Major

A single topic is not going to cut it. If you want to be there as a serious PS2 community for the console crowd, you need a different forum section.
Old 2013-06-09, 03:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Drakkonan
Corporal

If they screw this up and make consoles they primary/development platform for the franchise, I don't know where I'm going to go. Battlefield's not an option anymore....ARMA maybe? It's still not the same.

I suppose there's silver lining in the possibility of an MMOFPS 'boom'. We saw a ton of MMORPGs after WoW/EQ2 came out. Maybe, PS2 on PS4 will bring some more exposure to the genre, which will bring about options when the producers force the studio to focus on consoles.

Edit: Can anyone cite an instance where porting a PC exclusive franchise to consoles proved to be best for the franchise? Obviously, they'll make more money, but off the top of my head, I can't think of any.

Last edited by Drakkonan; 2013-06-09 at 03:40 PM.
Old 2013-06-09, 04:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
MrKwatz
Private

Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
A single topic is not going to cut it. If you want to be there as a serious PS2 community for the console crowd, you need a different forum section.
No, segregation is always detrimental to communities. People will be playing the same game no matter the platform. This thread is for discussing PS2 coming to the PS4. If there's going to be any sort of separate subforum for PS4 players it should be specific server discussions, just as there are now, because that's going to be the difference.

Last edited by MrKwatz; 2013-06-09 at 04:15 PM.
Old 2013-06-09, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Sirisian
Colonel

I think everything was said a long time ago when the PS4 rumors came up. It all depends on if they branch the two versions of the game.

If they don't branch then the PC version will suffer from a static hardware set. The developers will view the PS4 as the upper end specs so for the short term optimization will seem nice, but the game will age poorly. The good thing is that with the PS4's 14 inputs and the touch pad the controls probably aren't going to be simplified.

If they do branch things then development might slow down even more. (I mean it's been 7 months and there's no new continent and one new vehicle and a few simple weapon upgrades with most of the updates being layout changes or bug patches).

The big advantage is this is going to force them to make a really good tutorial. Console players are notoriously casual gamers so if they get confused they are bound to drop the game in a heartbeat and go play other PS4 games. This means on the PC side we could see complete tutorials for beginners.
Old 2013-06-09, 06:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Root Hade
Corporal

Originally Posted by Emperor Newt View Post
"open up their game designs to changes" translates to: do not listen to what people tell you during "beta" and then change large parts of your game six months later down the line, when many players have already left.
lol I'm sure pretty much all those players would have left even if the game was at this stage, unless it was just purely an optimization issue. The game is no more welcoming than it was (the tutorial still leaves players totally lost from the 'first impressions' video you can look up). But I don't think you can deny that adding stuff like the VR and Lattice is being open to change their game design after the devs said a bunch of times they had zero plans for that stuff. Higby even said Lattice straight up wouldn't work, if I recall correctly?.

I at least find the stuff they've added and updates they've done for 6 months pretty damn impressive, but thats in comparison to other FPSs rather than MMOs. I have no idea about those. Is this kinda GU/patch frequency standard for MMOs? I heard GW2 were doing a 2 week thing.
Old 2013-06-09, 06:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

If the PS4 version supports KBM, I'm getting one just to hop on and murder everything in sight. lol. (That's what I do when I have a bad PS2 day. Just go murder Dust Bunnies.)
Old 2013-06-09, 07:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
moosepoop
Captain

Originally Posted by Drakkonan View Post
If they screw this up and make consoles they primary/development platform for the franchise, I don't know where I'm going to go. Battlefield's not an option anymore....ARMA maybe? It's still not the same.
it depends on if SOE have to pay certification fees for every patch on ps4. if there is a fee then PC will always take the lead in content.
Old 2013-06-09, 07:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Sifer2
Major

Originally Posted by Drakkonan View Post

Edit: Can anyone cite an instance where porting a PC exclusive franchise to consoles proved to be best for the franchise? Obviously, they'll make more money, but off the top of my head, I can't think of any.

Not really no. It's good for profits but will almost always be bad from the PC gamers point of view. Since multiplatform means developing the game for the weakest link. I can think of a few games which did not allow the console version to hold the PC version back though. Witcher 2, Battlefield 3 for example. Though even then when you played them you could feel some slight influence in the game design aimed towards console/gamepad play.

My biggest concern which others in the thread have already brought up is that the developers will from this point on essentially be developing this game for PS4 an porting over to PC. Meaning that as PC hardware gets stronger in the coming years we wont see any improvements that the PS4 cannot handle. If the developers assured us that they will not allow the console version to hold the PC version back, and will develop them as two separate products if necessary I would feel much better about this.
Old 2013-06-09, 08:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I hope they won't segregate populations.

Old 2013-06-09, 09:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
camycamera
Major

here's to hoping that, even though unlikely, we get to play on the same servers as the console jockeys!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion