MAX Timers - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where 1 out of your 10 quotes gets accepted.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-02-13, 10:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

Its absolutely absurd for a weapon that takes 6 seconds to unload and that takes 3 ammo boxs of inventory space to kill a fresh MAX. Its just overpowered and stupid. MAXs should be feared and a bit hard to deal with because they are extremely limited in the way they can play the game while in a MAX suit (no driving, no gunning, no hacking, no repairing, no healing, hell no riding in anything but a Gal/Sund) not to mention the 5 minute timer and no access from an AMS.
Old 2004-02-13, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I wish there were MAX terminals instead of just getting your MAX suits at equipment terminals. I kinda like the idea that the spawn matrix is encasing your flesh inside the MAX, rather than jumping in and zipping up.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2004-02-13, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Jagd
Major

Why is that absurd? Any AV or AI MAX has the ability to kill you before you can get a 3rd shot off, which means you have to lead and land 2 direct hits with a dumb-fire weapon or you will get owned. And that's if you have the decimator out when you run into them, if they see you first or simultaneously they will usually have you dead before you can fire twice.
Old 2004-02-13, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

The splash radius on the Decimator is rather large, and camera-guided mode is how I fire 90% of my shots with it. I've taken out aircraft pretty well with it.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2004-02-13, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Jagd
Major

As do I, but requiring 3 direct hits would throw that balance off. If you can land 2 direct hits, you should get the kill and have another rocket left for the next MAX. If you get a near-miss with one of those 2 shots, then you have to use the whole decimator. I don't know, but the decimator is still the least ammo-efficient weapon in the game, and in light of these recent ammo changes nerfing the decimator in any way would be a complete departure. If anything, it deserves a buff but I am fine with leaving it as is. I am already going to have to sacrifice the thumper and rocklet to keep my baby.
Old 2004-02-13, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Hamma
PSU Admin

Decreasing max timers would be worth a shot, it was originally done in beta because everyone and their mom (and moms mom) was running around in MAX. But it would be worth tweaking to see the outcome.

Be sure to submit this to the dev interview form :P

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2004-02-13, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Onizuka-GTO
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Veteran
The splash radius on the Decimator is rather large...
Really? How come you don't get blown away (and anyone else standing too close) when you fire it point blank at a Max when indoors? Surely the backlash of the explosion should have some effect....

I love you, You love me, Lets go kill those dammn NC's With their jackhammer shotguns, And their Phoenix Missiles too, and make them wish they were barney's too.
Old 2004-02-13, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

Because the decimator does almost no damage to soft targets, it's all about anti armor.
Old 2004-02-13, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Jagd
Equipment module reduces MAX timers a fair bit. Any more reductions could get right stupid, cause I do *not* want to have to kill that same bloody Quasar every 2 minutes.
I'd remove the MAX timer reduction from the module and make it a flat 2 minute reequip timer.

The main thing most MAX users do wrong is rush out there like they have unlimited armor, when as we all know 650 armor doesn't amount to much when your opponent packs a decimator like 3 out of 4 players seem to. Treat your MAX like you would a vehicle-- travel with an engineer, be cautious, don't get caught in the open, etc, etc.
What MAX is it that is designed to prey on things which can't kill you in seconds, though? Infantry carry Decimators, aircraft like Reavers have rocket spam which will mess you up like nothing else, and vehicles have bumpers and, given that most ground vehicles are tanks, a main cannon which will tear you a new one. There is no way to play a MAX where you aren't exposing yourself to something which can kill you in a very short amount of time. There is no amount of caution short of hiding in the spawn room that will prevent you from being spammed by a Reaver you didn't see, killed in two shots by infantry with a Decimator, or run over/blown up by everything with wheels or treads. Regular infantry don't get slapped by a 5 minute timer when they play a little more recklessly, neither should MAXs.
Old 2004-02-13, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Uberpimp
Corporal

I know I'm a noob to this place but I agree with warborn. I played as a TR MAX for a couple of months (and made next to no progress) and I found it completley annoying to be owned then wait another five minutes to be....owned again. So at least lower the time. If you're bitching about killing the same person 2 minutes later the odds are even after 5 minutes they still have a grudge and are going to go after you anyways. (I would)

" 'tis better to reign in hell than to serve in heaven"

You know they call cigarrettes in England ****? Well, some one tell that cigarrette to shutup!
Old 2004-02-13, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Angel_of_Death
Second Lieutenant

Increase MAX armor so that a deci kills with 2 direct hits, and one deci that comes very close and does splash. Not sure how much armor that would have to be....800 maybe? MAXs are meant to be feared, and as it stands with the Deci to AV and the AV buffs, MAXs will be indirectly nerfed, as infils were.

Originally Posted by Warborn
Regular infantry don't get slapped by a 5 minute timer when they play a little more recklessly, neither should MAXs.
Regular infantry also don't spend 3 certs and gain an extra 550 armor, as well as a powerful weapon. Decrease the MAX timers slightly, to 4 minutes. Any more wouldn't be fair.

Last edited by Angel_of_Death; 2004-02-13 at 02:49 PM.
Old 2004-02-13, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

Why is that absurd? Any AV or AI MAX has the ability to kill you before you can get a 3rd shot off, which means you have to lead and land 2 direct hits with a dumb-fire weapon or you will get owned.
I explained why: MAXs are extremely limited in the way they can play the game while in a MAX suit (no driving, no gunning, no hacking, no repairing, no healing, hell no riding in anything but a Gal/Sund) not to mention the 5 minute timer and no access from an AMS.

Additionally, MAXs in my opinion should be the heavy assault troopers, instead of this stupid quake crap we have now with Surgiles and Heavy assault. It was a mistake from the beginning to buff HA the way they did when the Jackhammer just needed to be brought back down into reasonable range. The Sweeper and rocklet was all the instagib we needed. MAXs should be the shock trooper.

4 Decimator shots would be fine but the current 3 shots is just lame
Old 2004-02-13, 03:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Jagd
Major

I dunno, I do pretty well with my dual-cycler, but like I said, I don't go outside at all. Use them strictly in tower/base fights where I know I can't make it out the door. Sure, infantry will pop decimators at you, but hiding around corners, in alcoves, staying with a friendly engineer and a nice dash of patience have bagged me a whole lot of kills with the thing. As a VS uni-max, I fear nothing except the sprint + jump from tower to base.
Old 2004-02-13, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

Sorry, I�m a bit late into this conversation. I think the MAX timers should stay as they are. There needs to be a limit on the MAX suits or you will just perpetually be fighting the same MAX over and over during a tower or base siege.

As for the Decimator�s effectiveness against a MAX, I think that should stay as it is. For a long time I thought of nerfing the Decimator�s anti-MAX power, but I decided It�s best as it currently is. The true power of a MAX is when they are integrated with infantry. If your infantry has basic engineering and MA or HA they pair up with crushing effectiveness. Enemy infantry rounding the corner with AV/Deci in hand get bum rushed my HA infantry. When the enemy rounds the corner with MA or HA the support troops fall back and the MAX steps forward for some spankage. That combo in a tower or lower base levels can be dominating. The way to beat this is to just wear them down and eventually take the MAX units out. If the MAX units were instantly replaceable then this tough nut to crack would become nearly uncrackable without a massive zerg.

My point here is that the MAX should not be a one man army. So leave it�s nemesis, the Deci, alone. And leave the timer alone.
Old 2004-02-13, 04:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Angel_of_Death
Regular infantry also don't spend 3 certs and gain an extra 550 armor, as well as a powerful weapon. Decrease the MAX timers slightly, to 4 minutes. Any more wouldn't be fair.
Regular infantry are able to use utilities, vehicles, have more mobility, and can be self-sufficient with the proper equipment. MAXs can't do any of that, which is why the timer needs to be ~2 minutes instead of 5, or the MAXs need to get a lot more armor to make them able to survive longer.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion