BFR battles, few and far between - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home is where the HART is.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-11-09, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Kam
Major

BFR battles, few and far between

I got aftershock a week after it came out. Here is what my experience has been with BFR battles so far. I would say 90% of the time I encounter an enemy BFR we either shoot each other a few times and then go our seperate ways or sit and talk for 20 mins. It really is pointless to fight another BFR, they are so strong it just takes too long. Why does it take so long? There are no infantry anymore. Everyone is mechanized or in some kind of transport. Thus there is no one to throw a jammer or boomer the leg of a BFR or lay a mine field. This is the way its been going on Markov, and man is it boring. This is also why I only have 40 kills toward my merit, I can't find any infantry. All the other vehs can outrun a mech so I'm left to spend hours hunting down cloakers and loners. Now, what has happened when a squad of BFRs meets another squad? They trade. That's right, they all go off somewhere and trade. I know this because I see groups of NC mechs go over a hill and two mins later I see a bunch of VS or TR mechs come back over that hill painted blue. I'm not the only one who noticed this either, I watched a friendly cloaker murder a NC who traded instead or fought.The way I see it, the devs have work to do.

Last edited by Kam; 2004-11-09 at 08:52 PM.
Old 2004-11-09, 10:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Have you tried it recently? Since about three patches ago it was very possible to take down the shields of an enemy BFR all by yourself. It takes at least 25 seconds, if you hit with every shot, but it's definitely not pointless.
Old 2004-11-09, 10:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
martyr
Contributor
Brigadier General

Misc Info

or you could do what i do; sneak up behind enemy BFRs with dual armor siphons.
man, does that ever piss them off.
Old 2004-11-09, 10:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
AztecWarrior
Lightbulb Collector

Or you could fight in the caverns. If PS remains at this level of crap, I will either cancel or buy CC and slug it out in the caverns.
The gun katas. Through analysis of thousands of recorded gunfights, the Cleric has determined that the geometric distribution of antagonists in any gun battle is a statistically predictable element. The gun kata treats the gun as a total weapon, each fluid position representing a maximum kill zone, inflicting maximum damage on the maximum number of opponents while keeping the defender clear of the statistically traditional trajectories of return fire. By the rote mastery of this art, your firing efficiency will rise by no less than 120%. The difference of a 63% increase to lethal proficiency makes the master of the gun katas an adversary not to be taken lightly.
Old 2004-11-10, 12:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Lise
Second Lieutenant

What crap? The BFRs might have gotten hit with the nerfbat a little TOO hard this patch. I managed to shave off half the armor of an Aphelion while cooperating with a Skeeter just by switching between an AP MCG and a Thumper with Jammer nades. I only died because I got sloppy with my jam timing. Jammers reduce BFRs to ineffectuality now.
Old 2004-11-10, 12:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

I think the devs have got them about right, tanks do a little bit to much damage to them imho (and the TDC needs a flatline trajectory given the way the guns zero), and I think jammers should be tweaked to about midway between what they are now and what they were before, but overall they seem fairly balanced. The biggest issue I have with them now is the timer, given the fact that they have been significantly weaked to bring them in line, I think they should knock the timer down to around 25-30 minutes instead of 45. Still much more valuable then a normal vehicle, but hopefully forgiving enough that most BFR drivers will start acting like they've got a pair.

Last edited by Incompetent; 2004-11-10 at 12:30 AM.
Old 2004-11-10, 02:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Lise
What crap? The BFRs might have gotten hit with the nerfbat a little TOO hard this patch. I managed to shave off half the armor of an Aphelion while cooperating with a Skeeter just by switching between an AP MCG and a Thumper with Jammer nades. I only died because I got sloppy with my jam timing. Jammers reduce BFRs to ineffectuality now.
Against my Juggernaut, snipers take off an actual bit of my armor with every shot. Our lower durability has made any infantry-class weapon with AP bullets a real threat.
Old 2004-11-10, 07:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Kam
Major

They are too weak now.
Old 2004-11-10, 07:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
ORANGE
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Warborn
Against my Juggernaut, snipers take off an actual bit of my armor with every shot. Our lower durability has made any infantry-class weapon with AP bullets a real threat.
It's been that way since they released BFR's and if everyone remembers correctly they originally stated they wanted BFR's to be vulnerable to smaller arms fire where as tanks and crap would have a harder time killing them (that includes other BFR's) and with all the hitboxes they added they coulda at least made it so sniper shots to the cockpit did damage to the pilot but oh well, back on topic now, now that the BFR's have been hit with the nerfbat some I'm perfectly happy with planetside again (other than retards who sit in their BFR instead of going in to cap a tower/resecure a base)
Old 2004-11-10, 08:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Kam
Major

A jammer should not hinder regular walking. Why would it, the legs rely on hydrolics to operate and not electronics. Seriously, once I'm hit with a jammer they just stand under me and fire and kill me in about a min because I can't move.
Old 2004-11-10, 08:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
martyr
Contributor
Brigadier General

Misc Info

er... kam, what do you think runs hydraulics?

(electric compressors?)

if you want to argue against jammers, you need more exotic technology...
the BFRs mention movement servos (our modern servos are electronic)

Last edited by martyr; 2004-11-10 at 08:12 AM.
Old 2004-11-10, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Kam
Major

The point is now one man can kill a BFR.
Old 2004-11-10, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Lise
Second Lieutenant

Well, one man could do it with difficulty. I would have had to have gotten the timing on the jammers just right to avoid getting owned in that fight.

One man can really mess up a BFR, though.
Old 2004-11-10, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Paintballboy
It's been that way since they released BFR's and if everyone remembers correctly they originally stated they wanted BFR's to be vulnerable to smaller arms fire where as tanks and crap would have a harder time killing them (that includes other BFR's) and with all the hitboxes they added they coulda at least made it so sniper shots to the cockpit did damage to the pilot but oh well, back on topic now, now that the BFR's have been hit with the nerfbat some I'm perfectly happy with planetside again (other than retards who sit in their BFR instead of going in to cap a tower/resecure a base)
No, it wasn't so strong until they lowered the armor absorption twice.

Originally Posted by Lise
Well, one man could do it with difficulty. I would have had to have gotten the timing on the jammers just right to avoid getting owned in that fight.

One man can really mess up a BFR, though.
http://psforums.station.sony.com/ps/...sage.id=388835

Blahman demonstrates in the movie here how to kill a BFR in less than 10 seconds. And he does it numerous times for us to watch.
Old 2004-11-10, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
AbramsVS
Corporal

1. Never seen the trade thing on Werner. Once we had a huge fight on Cery, when like 20 VS BFR were vs 20 NC bfrs and some TR bfrs also.....so thats where i noticed all the changes......infantry is still a meat for BFR but if we seen BFR closing up like 20 guys took him in circle and started to fire at him with anything even with pulsars.....
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion