The Mine And Light Vehicles - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Paper or Plastic?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-05-01, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Re: The Mine And Light Vehicles

Originally Posted by opticalshadow View Post
i see no reason what so ever a vehicle with almost no armor should take less damage, or worse not set a mine off at all. its a mine, and your vehicle still weighs quite a bit.

if anything light vehicles should be out right destroyed by a mine while tanks should be hurt less.

mines worked fine in ps, the risk of taking a light vehicle was less armor, the perk was mobility, changing that seems silly.
Because its about gameplay not realism. The buggies are pretty useless right now, and mines were buffed to take out tanks better. That in turn made buggies crap, as mentioned a million times you cant start into a mine field and then back off after eating a few like a tank can. You just go in, eat more than the tank does because of your speed and die because of your 3-4x less armor. Its terrible gameplay. Yes the resistant to mines thats ALREADY IN GAME actually makes it work well. But also keep in mind that in a PS sequel, the buggies will most likely move much faster compared to tanks than they do now, the speed is partially a tech limit with the current CSHD system. They only move at 78kph which is 48 mph, a magrider (heavy tank) moves at 40 mph, so this 8 mph is supposedly my "enhanced mobility" that is my tradeoff for 3-4x less armor and far less firepower?

Realism doesnt work in a game. In real life we have to deal with money. We dont get that uber armor, uber powerful vehicle or weapon beause it costs too much. So we use the inferior vehicles because they are cheaper, we just might get a few more of them to make up for their weaknesses and limit their missions. Cant do taht in a game. Everything is free, people are about the only cost you have. Number of passengers needed to function is about the only monetary cost. So in short you have to make every vehicle good in its own way with everything having its own place and advantages/disadvantages. I should want to use the buggies for some things even if the tank is free. Thats not the case atm. Look at Battlefield, if i can get an M1-A2 tank or the humvee, its not really even a choice, you always take the tank. I dont want a game like that.

The point of the thread is to come up with some good ideas to deal with the issue so we can debate and discuss them and work off each other's ideas to get some solid gameplay improvements. We want the best gameplay, if you want more realism there are plenty of terribad games out there for that.
Old 2011-05-01, 02:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

I think in the upgrade project I have buggies only setting off 50% of mines...

Edit: I hadn't, but I just added that in. I think that its a fair compromise between realism and game play. Realistically you would have infantry scouting an area before any vehicles rolled through, which is damned time consuming and most of the time boring for everyone concerned, especially in a game when its supposed to be fun, not frustrating.

Last edited by DviddLeff; 2011-05-01 at 02:05 PM.
Old 2011-05-01, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Double the damage of mines.

Double the minimum spacing.

Halve the total number deployable.

Make them completely invisible without a special handheld device.

Old 2011-05-01, 11:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
CutterJohn
Colonel

I would prefer mines to have detrimental effects. They have to be too damaging to be effective, so you get little time to respond to them. Plus they made choke points far too dangerous and easy to defend. Vehicles would have a hard enough time pushing across a bridge without them.

I personally just don't like automated turrets and mines in games. I think players should be the ones pulling the trigger every time, and if you want to kill others, you need to be paying attention. So I'd be fine with being able to place lots of boomers. Instead of damaging mines, I'd prefer placeable fields that mess with vehicle systems. They don't kill, but they also don't get used up.
Old 2011-05-02, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
opticalshadow
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by BorisBlade View Post
Because its about gameplay not realism. The buggies are pretty useless right now, and mines were buffed to take out tanks better. That in turn made buggies crap, as mentioned a million times you cant start into a mine field and then back off after eating a few like a tank can. You just go in, eat more than the tank does because of your speed and die because of your 3-4x less armor. Its terrible gameplay. Yes the resistant to mines thats ALREADY IN GAME actually makes it work well. But also keep in mind that in a PS sequel, the buggies will most likely move much faster compared to tanks than they do now, the speed is partially a tech limit with the current CSHD system. They only move at 78kph which is 48 mph, a magrider (heavy tank) moves at 40 mph, so this 8 mph is supposedly my "enhanced mobility" that is my tradeoff for 3-4x less armor and far less firepower?

Realism doesnt work in a game. In real life we have to deal with money. We dont get that uber armor, uber powerful vehicle or weapon beause it costs too much. So we use the inferior vehicles because they are cheaper, we just might get a few more of them to make up for their weaknesses and limit their missions. Cant do taht in a game. Everything is free, people are about the only cost you have. Number of passengers needed to function is about the only monetary cost. So in short you have to make every vehicle good in its own way with everything having its own place and advantages/disadvantages. I should want to use the buggies for some things even if the tank is free. Thats not the case atm. Look at Battlefield, if i can get an M1-A2 tank or the humvee, its not really even a choice, you always take the tank. I dont want a game like that.

The point of the thread is to come up with some good ideas to deal with the issue so we can debate and discuss them and work off each other's ideas to get some solid gameplay improvements. We want the best gameplay, if you want more realism there are plenty of terribad games out there for that.
its not about realism, if it was, then a single rocket would take them out. its about game play. if light vehicles were to mow though fields liek that ce would become useless, if they go faster in a sequal then they can race past the tanks into a courtyard that cant be protected by ce from them, and mow down infantry.

and as far as useless right now, yes they are. but during year one they were useful. useing the tr buggy i had no problems taking out mag's and vannies. if you had a really good driver who could predict and dodge the slow RoF, you could out gun them.
Old 2011-05-03, 12:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Tiberius
Corporal

Every time you get in a buggy you run into something you can't deal with, that's why nobody uses them. They need to combine the buggies into empire specific super buggies that can take more mines.

By super buggy I mean a skyguard anti-air/anti infantry gun and an empire specific AV weapon. Just imagine how much it would be if each empire had their own marauder with an AA cannon on it: Epic buggy battles, engineers racking 3 man vehicle kills, tank crews with something inferior but challenging to fight, and buggies not getting completely owned by reavers/tanks/mines. Win-Win scenario.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion