Any voice chat announcements? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: 1337=Hamma
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-01-28, 11:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Sirisian
Colonel

Any voice chat announcements?

J_Smedley Twitter about DC Universe Online getting push to talk.

Assuming they share code I wonder if Planetside Next has built in voice chat that works well. That would be nice. No more team speak :P

Was there any news related to that in Planetside? I remember the original tried to do it.
Old 2011-01-29, 12:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Any voice chat announcements?

Wait, people still use teamspeak? (TS is probably the worst voice program in terms of quality and performance) And I hope there's no in game voice; Blizzard's implementation of voice in WoW failed horribly. It was a waste of dev time. I can't see SoE doing it better.

Also, Blizzard no longer has talent calculators on their site because fan sites do it for free (To blizzard) and they do it better. There's no reason for sony to reinvent the wheel.
Old 2011-01-29, 12:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Ghryphen
PSU Code Monkey

I know you haven't used TS3 by that statement. Even so, I still pick TS2 over Vent any day. No grossly limited license.

In game voice is so limited, stuck to just squad communication instead of guild wide or more. As well as when you get disconnected from the game etc .

Twitter | Dragon Wolves

Last edited by Ghryphen; 2011-01-29 at 12:32 AM.
Old 2011-01-29, 12:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

TS3 voice quality blows Ventrilo out of the water, sorry pal. Way less laggy too. TS also has Channel Commander, which means I don't have to listen to thirty people blabbering at once. I can put them all in different channels, and anyone with ChanCom (read as: my squad leaders) can hear me when I talk on that channel.

Anyway. If in-game voice is put it, and it's anything like TF2 (and the crowd), they better make it optional, because I swear to G-d if I have to listen to some fat-fuck mouthbreather doing the Darth Vader in between bouts of his running commentary, I'm going to grief the sumbitch back to the Stone Age. It was bad enough that I was subjected to idiots like GODJOEY, BuzzcutPsycho, and Smiley777 in global (during the period where ignore didn't block globals). I think I'd have an aneurysm and wind up committed.

Last edited by Firefly; 2011-01-29 at 01:09 AM.
Old 2011-01-29, 09:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Grimster
First Lieutenant

TS3 has to be one of the best voice com programs around. Far more superior than the crap they call Ventrilo.

If they are integrating it into the game one can hope they at least use the TS3 engine.
Old 2011-01-29, 09:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

TS2 all the way. In game voice requires you to be in game, and thats its biggest problem.
Old 2011-01-29, 09:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Chaotic Cow
Private

Has anyone tried Mumble?

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/
Old 2011-01-29, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Hamma
PSU Admin

I have not tried mumble myself I've seen it around allot. It seems to be the popular choice for MMO players at the moment.

But TS3 blows the previous versions out of the water. TS2 was already better than Vent and TS3 makes it look like two cans with a string between them.

I just mentioned this in another thread but, it seems like games always try to put voice comms in and those voice comms are almost NEVER used. I can't quite understand why companies keep doing that since voice is pretty well covered now by about 30 other apps.

That being said, I'm sure PSN will have some kind of voice in it, pretty much every game attempts to do that now. The first thing I do in any game that has in game voice is turn it off.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-01-29, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
I know you haven't used TS3 by that statement. Even so, I still pick TS2 over Vent any day. No grossly limited license.

In game voice is so limited, stuck to just squad communication instead of guild wide or more. As well as when you get disconnected from the game etc .
Yes, I have tried TS3. The only thing I liked about it was being able to put files in the channels. It used 2 - 3x as much memory as vent and was worse quality. Also, my friend's mic doesn't work very reliably with PTT on TS3.

I see arguing about this is going to be a waste of time since you're all convinced 15,000K < 2,400K and having the same ping as ventrilo is less lag.

I have heard mumble is very good with latency and my brother uses it for TF2, but I can't stand the UI.

Last edited by Bags; 2011-01-29 at 11:08 AM.
Old 2011-01-29, 02:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Hamma
PSU Admin

You can't stand the Mumble UI but you like Vents?

And seriously this isn't 1998 anymore I have 6GB of RAM on my system, unless its using a few gigs its a non issue.

And I'm not sure how you figure on the quality thing but either way, you are convinced TS3 isn't good.

I know one thing, I just wish they would quit putting built in voice chat in games. I think that's something we can all agree on spend that dev time elsewhere.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-01-31, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Chaotic Cow
Private

It may not be 1998 but it's 2011 and I can't get a job.

I have a 5-6 year old computer and I want a new one but I can't afford it. lol

In-game voice communication might be good for those who can't afford a server for TS3/Ventrilo
Old 2011-01-31, 09:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Sirisian
Colonel

I mostly just want it so that it's built in. I can't tell you how many times I played the game with no outfit and just joined a random squad. Would have been nice to have automatic voice communication so you don't have to watch the chat.
Old 2011-01-31, 02:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Chaotic Cow
Private

Yeah, for random squads it would be nice. That way you are not constantly switching TS/Vent servers for squads.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion