So, there's weather. What about VIOLENT weather? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Nerf the sigbot!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-07-23, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Phisionary
Corporal

Re: So, there's weather. What about VIOLENT weather?

I'm very much in support of as much weather as the physics and graphics can gracefully handle. And I definitely think it should affect vehicles or maybe even infantry in real ways. If a major offensive is in the planning, a weather report should be a necessity (though in particular areas most especially). If your faction doesn't possess a weather station, you'd have a potential tactical disadvantage, arriving to inclement weather you aren't prepared for.

Snow storms: Low visibility, decreased range thermal imaging (if there is such a thing?). Aircraft would ice up if flying into a storm front: performance slowly decreases and if there gets to be too much buildup, the plane can't fly anymore and will crash. You can fly above the storm on the edges but the center would be full area denial. Perhaps infantry will start to freeze up, and will take damage if they are outside in the storm for long, say a couple minutes. I can imagine tense battles in near whiteout conditions, fighting from wind-break to wind-break, and you know the chances or reinforcements making through are slim. I hope that snow and ice has reasonably dramatic effects on the handling of vehicles. Skis would also be an interesting addition, and screw anyone who says 'leave the skiing up to "tribes" series', they don't need a monopoly on skiing in fighting games, it could still be hella fun. If real snow was attempted, you could cert. a plow for your sunderer too.

Sand storms: Lowered visibility. Damages aircraft if they try to fly in it. Vehicles could have their filters clog and engines overheat, slowing movement while it cooled. I remember pictures of some incredible red sand storms from Australia from a few years ago, the skies the color of blood or tomato soup or something. That might be impressive.

Rain: If the engine can plaster all the vehicles and characters with a nice coating of mud, they should add some rain to the world. Plus I'd like to see something clean up those dusty skies for a while. A real cloud-burst downpour in the jungles would be cool too. Or a dense layer of fog covering an early morning battleground, the sound of boots crunching and tank engines roaring from enemies hidden beneath the veil.

A similar environmental effect that I was thinking about: wild-fires. The ability to light up the grasses on the prairies added an interesting flair to 'Far Cry 2.' If their are any grassy areas on ps2 continents, that would be kinda cool. Use the fire to direct the enemy, hide under the smoke to avoid air-support. Once the next good rain arrives, the whole place regrows anew.

Weather is good. +Support.
Old 2012-07-26, 05:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Notsononymous
Private

this has to be done

+support
Old 2012-07-26, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Lanka
Private

Do want.

Also I don't see how lightning strikes would be major issue. Planes can take them without problem and most of the high hills have bases/towers so they'd have lightning rods to take the jolts. So only way footsoldier would get hit by lightning is if s/he'd go stand on tower's roof, on top of the antenna/rod. If you do that, get hit and die - well, you deserve it.

Thunderstorm at night at some huge base area? I'd go there just to enjoy the weather. I imagine even cloud to cloud lightning would look amazing (based on how the nightfights look even in alpha)..

Didn't PS1 global map use to show cloud coverage? Or I've been dreaming again.. Still, showing weather patterns moving in the map would be sweet. Maybe somekind warning 15-30 minutes before massive storm hits a continent with expected duration so if you really don't like to fight in rainstorm, you can plan on being on another continent.
Old 2012-07-28, 12:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Program
Sergeant

This sounds like a great idea and surely would add a level of immersion seen in no other game!
Old 2012-07-28, 12:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Gugabalog
Major

A sandstorm would make CAS missions supremely ineffective even if aircraft flew above them. Shooting blindly through a wall of sand at possible friendlies is extremely ineffective and risky.
Old 2012-07-29, 07:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Ecinev
Private

Originally Posted by Noivad View Post
PS 1 had Weather, but most people turned that and vegatation off for FPS. And higby did state that PS 2 will too. But Please Higby, don't let people turn it off. Have different types of rain, sleet and snow, Hurricanes, tornadoes that are random just every once in a while. Everything you get in real Life, but don't let people turn it off. keep the game realistic. If you can do it it would be really cool to see the steam come off the ground on a hot seasonal day as it evaroprates, or to see on a bush you hiding behind the water droplets on the leaves of the plant after a rain. Keep the game realistic. Don't let people turn off the effects for FPS like so many games do that gives them an advantage to those who perfer seeing the game in all its artistic wonder. Keep it realistic. Did I say that often enough. Keep it realistic please.
This...exactly this. As much as I understand some peoples PC will lack a little FPS by having the weather features on in games its wrong that I LOVED the sandstorms in PS1 ( Ishundar mainly) I couldn't enjoy it because it cut my view distance down to like 20m at best ( cool feature) but if someone turned Skydome/weather off they could see up to max which defeated the object. As such the only way to let people enjoy the awesome graphics and weather that you did/have/will work on so hard is to make it so the best you could do is lower graphics for weather itself? to lighten the load. but view distance/opacity would not be helped.
Old 2012-07-30, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Dropshockmedic
Private

I support this too!
And I support it... with a clip on YouTube!
But im not one of this trolls that wants to compare this with Halo, ok?
It just happens that this scene suits the topic very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzTnx1h09sA#t=3m52s

and with this
- Maybe the drop starts in the orbit, you have to manually drive the droppot through potencial meteors and such,
and if this is to much, there should be a meteor-rain from time to time hitting down to the planets surface.

- The droppot can have problems opening when it lands unfavorable or get stuck in a swamp.
An Engineer could carry a highpower magnet but has to use the spot the mobil turret would normally be carried, to rescue the Pots Passenger from such a misfortune.

- With that he can even slow down moving vehicles as a last annoying resort and many Engineers can use it to even pull a Vehicle with it. With good timing and many of them, they could hinder the Pilots control of an Aircraft as well and make them crash in a wall or even the ground.

Last edited by Dropshockmedic; 2012-07-30 at 06:00 PM.
Old 2012-07-30, 06:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Gugabalog
Major

^ I suggest rewriting that post using edit. Kind of a messy read.

Though the spelling error "drop pot" tickles my fancy :d
Old 2012-07-31, 12:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
Wandering Mania
Private

Originally Posted by onwee View Post
Lighting doesn't do anything to airplanes anyway. 1000's of planes are struck every year.

There could be lightning strikes but not the kind that kill players. Just a tree getting hit, for example (and if there is fire, catching it on fire). But just a basic lightning strike is great. In fact, having your airplane get hit by lighting would be a really cool visual affect, but just like airplanes now, you'd take no damage.

You should never just be trotting along and die. Weather implementation should affect a dynamic battlefield as a whole and not any single player.
Well as far as I can tell from the vids I have seen Shields are on some personel and vehicles. So if a lightning bolt hits your aircraft it should drain your shields and jam your wepons for a bit like an EMP blast would. If you got hit twice you could drop out of the sky not just blow up. Because it fried your aircrafts electronic systems. Lightning is after all energy and enuff of that energy could possably be a hazzard.

But on a side note if there are pilots crazy or dumb enuff to fly into those there needs to be some sort of risk involved with doing such a thing.
Also there could be in addition to that "Traning Arieas" like in Planetside 1's VR arieas to get better at doing such a thing.

Then people could go from being crazy or dumb to being unaffected in those weather patterns. Armed with the knolage of "How not to die while flying in a lightning storm".

Last edited by Wandering Mania; 2012-07-31 at 12:06 AM.
Old 2012-08-15, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Zapa
Private

devs if you read my post!!! add the good shit from this thread everyone has great ideas. visual effects that limit viability(occasionally by a considerable amount), visual lightning when it rains, light effects to flying aircraft(occasionally moderate). better to make the more moderate stuff a lot less likely at night. on the snow/ice continent it will be nice if snow levels vary a bit and effect driving and walking to a extent(like you cant drive/run as fast). And the weather forecasting system so people can actually plan around and for the events.

now take my money.

Last edited by Zapa; 2012-08-15 at 02:46 PM.
Old 2012-08-15, 03:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
wormywyrm
Private

It is cool I suppose but I would rather see features that players can control so it plays more into the games strategy. I couldn't really imagine making tactical decisions differently due to weather in PS2.
Old 2012-08-15, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
fb III IX ca IV
Corporal

Originally Posted by Noivad View Post
PS 1 had Weather, but most people turned that and vegatation off for FPS. And higby did state that PS 2 will too. But Please Higby, don't let people turn it off. Have different types of rain, sleet and snow, Hurricanes, tornadoes that are random just every once in a while. Everything you get in real Life, but don't let people turn it off. keep the game realistic. If you can do it it would be really cool to see the steam come off the ground on a hot seasonal day as it evaroprates, or to see on a bush you hiding behind the water droplets on the leaves of the plant after a rain. Keep the game realistic. Don't let people turn off the effects for FPS like so many games do that gives them an advantage to those who perfer seeing the game in all its artistic wonder. Keep it realistic. Did I say that often enough. Keep it realistic please.
Well for people who care about FPS, they can replace a particle based dust storm/snow storm with a really short render distance and heavy sand or snow colored distance fog.
Old 2012-08-15, 08:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
sgtbjack
Corporal

Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
Holy cow, good work calling attention to this! This is DEFINITELY something that would be fun.

On the minor side of things, imagine if they added a horrific wind, that made it difficult for aircraft to fly. It'd give the advantage to ground troops and almost ground all air traffic. Now imagine the brave and overly skilled pilots who try to give support in that, and the galaxies trying to land some troops or vehicles (cause maybe the wind causes issues with troop drops).

LOTS of interesting fun could be made with this and without much work (relatively).
Think about the russian winter grinding the german panzers to a halt. It actually gets me excited to think of the possibilities. Having seasons built into the game i.e. dust storms and heavy windstorms playing hell with air assets, and snow and rain mucking down the ground forces here and there.

I'm all for /signing this idea
Old 2012-08-17, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
DarkMesa
Corporal

If they add these kinds of details than maybe they could also add terminals in-game that you could use to view the upcoming weather, say an hour or two ahead. It could also have a small chance of not being accurate, imagine clearing out of your base for fear of a tornado or the like, only to have nothing happen.
Old 2012-08-18, 11:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Azarga
Corporal

I'd hate this, but I'm afraid they will still make all those kewl sight obscuring effects (other than darkness during nighttime) off-toggleable for the sake of framerates on low-end machines. If that is true I can't imagine myself ever turning them on thus putting myself into disadvantage of having my sight obscured. Still will be fun to shoot people while they slowly crawl through the thick fog only they can see.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault