News: IGN.com DCU and PS2 going to PS4 - Page 11 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: lash, lash, lash, spam, spam, spam etc.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-06, 05:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #151
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: I pity the PS4 crowd

Originally Posted by AThreatToYou View Post
I really hope the PS4 allows mouse and keyboard..

... or else...
It might, but I don't see it being ported with that in mind. I just don't see SOE trying to get console owners to buy decent a mouse and keyboard combo for PS2. I also don't see the crowd of PC gamers with "PC's that aren't powerful enough to play PS2 so will buy a PS4 to play it instead of upgrading their PC" as being large enough to warrant a focus on M+K.
My guess is still that it will be designed around the controller, but I could certainly be wrong.

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
I pity fans of this game, all PS4 development means is it'll slow down PC development and you'll probably have to wait for content to be finished on both systems before it is released. You cannot simply just release content on consoles, it all has to be passed through Sony or Microsoft. Not only that but as the PS4 ages, the game will be held back by technical limitations of that console.

What I don't get though is the PS4 is only packing an 8 core 1.6ghrz AMD cpu that was made for low powered laptops.......... it isn't a powerful CPU and yet this game is CPU heavy. Though I spose this game isn't even multi-threaded and that is why it runs like shit for AMD users cause the I7s have much better single core performance.

I really don't get why so many games aren't multi-threaded.
Why would PS2 be affected by the normal patch certification process? It's a Sony game on a Sony console. Think about that for a moment

You're right. Smedley did mention that PS2 would be better optimized for multiple cores, which he also mentioned would improve the performance for the PC version. So that's one good thing.

Me neither.

For those wondering about the PS4's RAM. 8GB is more than enough, since the PS4 doesn't have to deal with a hungry OS and miscellaneous programs running in the background.
8GB on a gaming console is more than enough.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-06-06 at 06:37 AM.
Old 2013-06-06, 05:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #152
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Tom Peters View Post
Personally, I hate Teamspeak. Mumble's way better.
We used Mumble for awhile... then we went back to TS3. No contest.

Old 2013-06-06, 06:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #153
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
For those wondering about the PS4's RAM. 8GB is more than enough, since the PS4 doesn't have to deal with a hungry OS and miscellaneous programs running in the background.
8GB on a gaming console is more than enough.
yeah, for sure! the drm and anti jailbreak part of the operating system will only use about 7 gb, so there will be 1 gb ram all for the game! that should be enough!

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-06-06, 06:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #154
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: IGN.com DCU and PS2 going to PS4

Originally Posted by VaderShake View Post
I guess were looking at it from 2 different perspectives, I am talking about gameplay and you seem to be talking about graphics. BF3 looks great, but the gameplay and depth is straight up crap compared to previous BF titles. Either way I am concerned....not to mention the first time there is a PS4 only exclusive I'm sure the forums will errupt lol.
Not really. You brought up graphical fidelity when you made the statement that BF2 and BF2142 would be able to run on the previous generation of consoles. I just pointed out how silly that argument was.
BF3 had to conform to the limitations of not only the console's hardware but also the controller itself. And if they had ported BF2 and BF2142 over to the consoles then they would have had to be remade abit to work with the controller. I do agree that BF3 doesn't show the same creativity as its predecessors, both of which I prefer over BF3.
My point being that having to design a game around a controller will obviously lead to different game design choices than had it been designed with keyboard and mouse in mind.
Same thing will happen with PS2. It will almost certainly be designed with the controller in mind and changed accordingly, it won't be "dumbed down" to fit the console crowd. It will be designed to work as optimal as possible on the PS4.
An excellent example of a game/series being dumbed down horribly is the new Deus Ex game for iOS.

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
They have zero incentive to care about what we think at this point. The mass-console market is the target audience. Not us. Smed just made that plain.

Three years from now we'll be playing Indarside on two servers while the console servers number a dozen and are buzzing with activity. And if we want to join them, we won't be able to import our existing characters. To hell with us and the money we've spent.

Ah, well. Down the hatch.
Rubbish. I don't see any evidence of that. Same rubbish as when people claim that a company has their money and no longer cares about them.

I really don't think you're being fair towards the devs here. PS2 was quite clearly not being developed for the PS4 when they first started working on it.
I don't get all your doomsaying. I have my concerns, but that's all they are until proven correct. I could just as easily be proven wrong and having PS2 on the PS4 might end up being the best thing to happen for the game.

Might I point out that PS2 isn't hugely populated? Any significant increase in player population and profit would be most welcome. Heck the optimization needed for the PS4 version will help get more PC owners to play PS2.
But I will give you that I do think it's fair enough to feel a bit cheated in regards to it sounding like the PS4 version requiring multi-core optimization, but the PC version apparently not warranting the same optimization. I doubt that's how Mr. Smedley meant though, as optimization is an ongoing process.

So far it's a win-win with a slight chance of bad rain later on in the evening.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-06-06 at 01:15 PM.
Old 2013-06-06, 06:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #155
KesTro
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
The only thing mumble had over TS3 if I recall correctly was that it was free? Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.
Old 2013-06-06, 06:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #156
Maidere
Sergeant

Originally Posted by KesTro View Post
The only thing mumble had over TS3 if I recall correctly was that it was free? Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.
It's opensource so you can do whatever you want with it if you can. Change codecs, some deeper customization etc.
I prefer mumble over TS3.
Old 2013-06-06, 07:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #157
Rolfski
Major

Don't worry, SOE will figure it out. Ingame VOIP is not that bad and will probably get a big overhaul for PS4. PS4 itself will probably come with a decent gaming VOIP build in.
Old 2013-06-06, 07:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #158
Rafe
Private

I'm pretty sure PS4 will have something similar to an "XBox Live Party" which would probably include VOIP.

(XBox is the only console experience I have.)
Old 2013-06-06, 07:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #159
Crator
Major General

I've always said they should have done integration with PS2 and the external VOIP programs. But I guess if they can add the functionality that those external VOIP progs give into the existing VOIP they use in the game it doesn't make a difference.
Old 2013-06-06, 08:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #160
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
Way? Mumble have better sound quality then TS3. And when mumble gets it's PS2 3D sound plugin it's going to rock. Personally I prefer mumble and ventrillo over TS

Last edited by Sunrock; 2013-06-06 at 08:05 AM.
Old 2013-06-06, 08:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #161
Dragonskin
Major

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
It might, but I don't see it being ported with that in mind. I just don't see SOE trying to get console owners to buy decent a mouse and keyboard combo for PS2. I also don't see the crowd of PC gamers with "PC's that aren't powerful enough to play PS2 so will buy a PS4 to play it instead of upgrading their PC" as being large enough to warrant a focus on M+K.
My guess is still that it will be designed around the controller, but I could certainly be wrong.

Why would PS2 be affected by the normal patch certification process? It's a Sony game on a Sony console. Think about that for a moment
The rumored leaked price point for the PS4 is $349 while the Xbox One is rumored at $399. You better believe if that is true it would be cheaper for a lot of low end consumers to get a PS4 instead of upgrading their computer. Hell my AMD Radeon HD 7970 3gb 1Ghz video card was $420 by itself... the Nvidia cards go up to $1,000.00+... that isn't including ram, motherboard, processor, power supply, optical drive, case, operating system... which would all likely have to be replaced on a low end pc. You have to remember that consoles are ALWAYS sold for a loss when they launch. The manufactorers make money on attachment rates of more controllers, games, accessories.

Then the last part. As far as I know SOE games still have to go through certification for patchs on PSN. I know for a fact that Microsoft games have to go through certification for Xbox Live. Sounds stupid, but at least they have quality control. Patches don't generally break console games like they can for PC.

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
Way? Mumble have better sound quality then TS3. And when mumble gets it's PS2 3D sound plugin it's going to rock.
A lot of people don't like Mumble because it is still new and they don't want to learn how to optimize it. Teamspeak has been around for a long time and a lot of FSPers pick it over Mumble just because of familiarity. Personally I like Mumble more than TS3. It's the opposite on the MMORPG scene. Most guilds run Ventrillo or Mumble and TS3 is usually laughed at. Mumble is an extremely low latency VOIP... it's hands down better than Ventrillo.

Last edited by Dragonskin; 2013-06-06 at 08:09 AM.
Old 2013-06-06, 08:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #162
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Just with Dust 416 - mouse play will be supported.

And the PS4 players will do fine.
Old 2013-06-06, 08:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #163
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Dragonskin View Post
The rumored leaked price point for the PS4 is $349 while the Xbox One is rumored at $399. You better believe if that is true it would be cheaper for a lot of low end consumers to get a PS4 instead of upgrading their computer. Hell my AMD Radeon HD 7970 3gb 1Ghz video card was $420 by itself... the Nvidia cards go up to $1,000.00+... that isn't including ram, motherboard, processor, power supply, optical drive, case, operating system... which would all likely have to be replaced on a low end pc. You have to remember that consoles are ALWAYS sold for a loss when they launch. The manufactorers make money on attachment rates of more controllers, games, accessories.

Then the last part. As far as I know SOE games still have to go through certification for patchs on PSN. I know for a fact that Microsoft games have to go through certification for Xbox Live. Sounds stupid, but at least they have quality control. Patches don't generally break console games like they can for PC.
Then they would still be picking one over the other. What I wrote before doesn't really make sense when I think about it.
Let's see if I can be more clear about it.
I don't really see the people with PC gaming periphals buying a PS4 just to play PS2 with their mouse and keyboard instead of saving up for an upgrade.
Basicly what I'm trying to clumsily state is that I don't think the amount of players who own a gaming PC and would want to use M+K for a console version of PS2 is larger than the amount of players who don't already own a gaming PC and would rather want to use a gamepad.
As in I don't think SOE is going to try and push for the console version to require M+K and thus be able to possibly go cross platform.

I don't really know enough on the matter to know how it works with SOE games. Just wouldn't make much sense, from my perspective, to have your own games go through an even more lenghty process. One would think that the internal QA would be enough, but I could just be completely wrong.

If the PC patches end up getting delayed because of the certification process then I am probably going to be right pissed.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-06-06 at 10:59 AM.
Old 2013-06-06, 08:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #164
GeoGnome
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by AThreatToYou View Post
People still use Windows XP? ..

I .. I just...
About a year ago they did a poll of windows users, and 40% still used XP.

And more on the topic: If they had done a cross platform server my outfit and I had decided we would go there, make an outfit and name each character some reference to the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse.
Old 2013-06-06, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #165
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by GeoGnome View Post
About a year ago they did a poll of windows users, and 40% still used XP.
One has to wonder if that 40% are designed for gameplay though. How many comps are in schools and colleges and how many only have laptops for notes. Etc. Doubtful they'd even care about gaming, nevermind PS2.

Somewhat on topic, warframe will also be on PS4. Which is hardly surprising. Since that game plays differently to PS2 (less aiming required) it makes me wonder if crossing servers with this game might be a possibility.

But let's not kid ourselves. What are the chances of that happening?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion