Is nobody else depressed about having 3 factions again? Wouldn't 0, 2,or 4 be better? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Telling it like it is.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Implementing Eve Style Factions?
Only use Eve Style Factions: 2 2.04%
Only use traditional Planetside Style Factions: 92 93.88%
Use Both 'Side by Side': 4 4.08%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2011-08-04, 01:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Serisno
Private

Is nobody else depressed about having 3 factions again? Wouldn't 0, 2,or 4 be better?

(Edit Summary: See the bottom of this post for a summary of what this thread has found.)

I haven't met a single person that says they enjoy the 3 faction system.

Cons
I don't think I need to look very far to find arguments for why the three faction system doesn't make for funtimes.

The 3 faction system has proven itself ineffective. It either devolves into a pointless three way stale mate, with minimal progress being made by any one side.

Or it causes one faction to fight two separate battles on two separate fronts... not much fun.

Whenever one faction makes too much progress, the other two can easily focus fire them for a while until they back down. So unless one faction can take on BOTH other factions at the same time... there's no point in conquest. A la Planetside.

Pros
There is a possibility to have three separate battles happening simultaneously. One between faction A-B, B-C, and C-A. But this requires that all three factions have the ability to pop lock TWO battlezones. And if all three factions can't fully support two separate battles. Then we'll revert to the scenarios described above in the cons.

Solution
Any ideas?

My two thoughts. Make the world more like Eve did. (There are different factions, but they aren't automatically allied to all other members of their faction. This would allow people to form their own factions and alliances like in Eve.)

Or make an even number of factions.

Summary
I'm tired of using tactics and strategy to outsmart my enemy and push the tide of battle forward... only to see the third faction start capping towers behind me...

Thread Summary: What we've learned

This thread is completed within the first three pages if you wish to read. Otherwise here is a summary.

The true complaint in the OP is about the cyclical nature of the game. The proposition to change the number of factions is merely an ends to this goal.

We have been given a good solid set of reasons for why a 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,... faction system will have drawbacks. In the end, a three faction system will have the least (most easily overcome) set of drawbacks. Therefore, a three faction system was chosen. I can accept this. Sometimes you have to pick the lesser of 7 evils.

To mitigate the drawbacks of a three faction system and to reduce the cyclical nature of the game, it has been pointed out that the devs will fix this via the new, more granular, lattice work system.

At this point we can't tell if the new lattice work system will create another cyclical game or not. But at least we know the problem has been addressed. Now we just need to wait and hope their solution works.

Last edited by Serisno; 2011-08-08 at 11:46 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion