Can anyone still stomach this game anymore? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: we be off da' hizzy
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2011-08-22, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Graywolves
General

Re: Can anyone still stomach this game anymore?

Well as TR last night it looked like the VS and NC were both just fighting the TR.

Pretty sure we were sanc locked by morning.
Old 2011-08-22, 05:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
I was just playing today and it was awesome.

Blowing the generator and tubes has always been a key factor in taking a base.

I never liked the grenade spam but I've only seen it in stalemates recently.
Blowing the gen and tubes has always been a key factor. However, blowing the gen was always looked down upon. It was kind of the "bitch" way out of a base. When you used to do that people would scold you for it. It was the very last thing you did if you were fighting over a base for HOURS.

That concept has been washed away and it's become so common that no one cares anymore. It's so consistent that it's desensitized everybody to the point of not caring. Personally, I'm always against blowing the generator, I thought it was a lame concept added to end the fight quickly but sometimes it's legitimate. If a cloaker sneaks in and blows the gen during a stalemate to help his team push in and the enemy team can't get it up, then they deserve to lose that base. Doing that or perhaps blowing the gen far away from the battle to take away the enemies tech is the only other time I feel it's legitimate to blow the gen.

I rarely, if ever see them blown with this consensus however. The basic mentality is a force will show up and INSTANTLY go for the gen. Completely ignoring the CC or tubes and end the fight as quickly as possible. That's extraordinarily lame. In most cases the defending team is outpopped, that's what makes it so easy for the team to blow the gen. When it's a large fight with an even percentage of players when it actually calls for legitimately blowing the gen, they can't because the defenders have to be so adamant on defending the gen.

Perhaps tactics are changing. They always have been throughout the game's entirety. My only problem is that it's become such a dumbed down borefest that it makes it hard to get any enjoyment out of the game. I'm sure I contradict myself a lot saying sometimes it's fair to blow the gen but not when it's against me, but I think there should be a certain moral code people follow just for the sake of the game not sucking ass.

Originally Posted by BorisBlade View Post
Vehicle campin is not lame, its smart. You cant hold a door with infantry, you need vehicles.
I don't have a direct problem with any of the issues I mentioned (besides maybe gen blowing), I said that it was the "extent and consistency" that bothered. Having a tank camp a door so keep people from pushing out is a normal strategy which I have no problem with, so long as the enemy force is actually pushing in. Too many times have I been at a base or tower only to see on the radar legions of MBTs, Lighting, Reavers, Mossies, BFRs and Libs all pointed at the door and not a single red dot on the ground. What the hell? Is it REALLY that fun to stare a doorway hoping that a person will open the door and by luck with all the other tanks shooting you might get the kill? Well I can't go an judge people's playstyles, but maybe to some it is...

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
I completely agree. The only reason I still have a sub is because of my outfit. Really fun group of people to play the game with. If I was not in an outfit, I would have left over a year ago. The other reason I'm still subbed is for a beta invite...

Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
I recently returned to PS. If you are playing solo then you will probably not enjoy the game. I try to start or join a squad every time I play. I always have fun once I start working with a group.
Originally Posted by Effective View Post
It's alright if you have competent friends to play with and even then it's still difficult to play, since "winning" is very important to some people. Otherwise I play Quake:Live, Starcraft, CS/TF2.
In this game's current state, I completely agree. You need a group to play with. There was a time you could solo in this game but that is no more. There are far too many cheap tactics that have become the norm to warrant playing solo.

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
Winning is fun for me.

Considering that a majority of my adult life has been spent wearing a uniform and carrying a weapon, I understand the concept of warfare as: find what crushes the enemy's morale and do it so they don't want to fight. Then do it some more. And if you find a dead little fucker, do it again. Keep doing it. I also understand the value of overwhelming firepower and brute force. So I keep doing that, too. I die a lot, but I accomplish my goals a lot. In Planetside, these concepts are applicable especially if you want to win. So they are done, and they are done a lot. Like I said, winning is fun for me.
The only issue I have with this is that there is no end goal in Planetside. There's no ultimate reward for winning. In fact, the game is unwinnable. Even if you were capture every base, tower continent and cavern, you'd get nothing. People are ultimately pushing toward a goal with no meaning at the sacrifice of everyone else's enjoyment.

On the other hand, people such as yourself (and I'm not saying that in a condescending way mind you) enjoy winning. Perhaps capturing bases and having the map colored in your favor in enjoyable to you.

So this thread is pointless. People will play how they want to play regardless of what you tell them. Some people play for the enjoyment of others and some for themselves.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-08-22, 10:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Crator
Major General

Totally agree about the gen blowing on above post. You solo a base, tubes go down and put some CE out. Then guard the CC. Always take out tubes but never the gen. Gen is very last resort needed. Of course unless you're trying to break a link to a cave, mod, or tech benefit.

For one, when you take out the gen the NTUs get drained from the base faster. This can be bad if the NTUs are too low and no one brought an ANT. Another thing about taking out the gen is your empire's adv. hackers can't hack the base terms to get out equipment and vehicles needed. Two really good reasons to only take out the gen when absolutely necessary.

Tubes might be questionable to take out if you know there's a lot more of your empire in the base then the enemy. If you want to have some fun, and get more XP for base cap, keep the tubes up. Killing tubes in towers has always been considered lame.

Last edited by Crator; 2011-08-22 at 11:01 PM.
Old 2011-08-22, 11:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by DeeTwoEh View Post
The only issue I have with this is that there is no end goal in Planetside. There's no ultimate reward for winning. In fact, the game is unwinnable. Even if you were capture every base, tower continent and cavern, you'd get nothing. People are ultimately pushing toward a goal with no meaning at the sacrifice of everyone else's enjoyment.

On the other hand, people such as yourself (and I'm not saying that in a condescending way mind you) enjoy winning. Perhaps capturing bases and having the map colored in your favor in enjoyable to you.

So this thread is pointless. People will play how they want to play regardless of what you tell them. Some people play for the enjoyment of others and some for themselves.
My end goal is to Sanc-lock someone. My end-goal is to take as much terrain as possible and set my empire up in a position to hold it. My end-goal is, most chiefly and most supremely, to share in virtual combat with my outfit mates and have a good time. I do that by seeking to win or, failing that, inflict as much neckbeard nerdrage-inducing hate and misery as possible.
Old 2011-08-23, 08:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

Ultimately D2A, you can't blame the players for abusing every single tactic they get there hands on regardless of how lame it may or may not be. Simply because it's SOE's fault for not attempting to set up the mechanics in a way that's not only balanced, but fun for ALL SIDES.

Considering the general mindset of the majority of the playerbase, I have no problem playing like a complete douchebag against those players, basically using exploits to gain an advantage over them since I know they're going to end the fight as quickly as possible, though there are some exploits I don't touch. It would be kind of fun to be able to 2 shot every single infantry I see in the game with any weapon.

My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex
Old 2011-08-23, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Graywolves
General

It's not hard to defend and repair the generator, ask the NC on Hossin this morning. We dropped the gen multiple times and in the end we needed the base to go neutrol to get to the CC and hold a hack.

I kinda feel bad for the VS though, Lasher needed the nerf five years ago, but not as badly as it got. I'd almost say I'd rather have the old lasher back but I don't, then again I don't fight VS much, NC's been the biggest threat last few days.

But you need to accept the game "died" long ago, we're practically playing a post-apocalypse RPG. I still have fun with it though and there are things here and there that get me bothered but Planetside 2 is around the corner.
Old 2011-08-23, 11:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
For one, when you take out the gen the NTUs get drained from the base faster. This can be bad if the NTUs are too low and no one brought an ANT. Another thing about taking out the gen is your empire's adv. hackers can't hack the base terms to get out equipment and vehicles needed. Two really good reasons to only take out the gen when absolutely necessary.
This.

Take a Bio Lab for example. You can basically drop the gen as soon as you take the courtyard, but I rarely see that happen. In fact, more often than not, I see my own empire TKing anyone and everyone that would attack the gen. On the other hand, if I've been banging my head against an Interfarm long enough, I'll start attacking the gen myself, if only to force the enemy to defend it.

Yeah, some tactics can get frustrating, but frustrating tactics are a part of nearly any game. Hell I remember that damn slide kick by M Bison in Street Fighter 2, and there's been frustrating things in every pvp game since. I can almost guarantee there will be frustrating tactics in PS2. It's still a video game, so the honor system will count for jack shit.

Old 2011-08-23, 03:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Accuser
Sergeant Major

I hope Firefly plays VS a lot on PS2. There will be a lot less "Let's make this one battle last forever while the third empire takes territory." and a lot more "Cap this fast and blitzkrieg to the next before the other Empire beats us there."

As a vehicle-lover, I think you troops should either hold the gen or roll armor from the next base to try to retake the CY. If you fail at both, the base should change hands.
Old 2011-08-23, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Avirau
Private

Playing solo in Planetside gets old after a few weeks, I consider outfit gameplay an essential part of the experience. That said, I don't have any issue with the things you listed as complaints... I'm not sure what you're trying to say with the whole "self righteous" part. It's a video game.

I only play VS and I love it. There are a number of really well organized outfits that are fun to play with. I also have zero issue with blowing a gen. It's an offensive strategy like any other, and it can be prevented with proper defense. I'd rather keep moving on to new bases and new fights than sitting in a CY waiting for the zerg to push through the front door with me.

Last edited by Avirau; 2011-08-23 at 05:21 PM.
Old 2011-08-23, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Avirau View Post
I also have zero issue with blowing a gen. It's an offensive strategy like any other, and it can be prevented with proper defense. I'd rather keep moving on to new bases and new fights than sitting in a CY waiting for the zerg to push through the front door with me.
Ah, so you're one of those that takes the gen out and moves on right away to the next base, which sometimes requires you wait until the previous base you just left to be under your empire's control. So while you are at the base your empire has no link to the hacked base gets saved by the enemy and you can't hack the base you went to anyways.
Old 2011-08-23, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
HawkEye
Major

Misc Info

The amount of thumper/plasma spam these days is absurd. During the good old days in PS when pop locks were normal, there was never as much spam as there is now. There is also a lot of plasma/Pshield/JH users these days Also, the amount of MAXes is out of hand.

My complaint about the gen killers is that they don't let the fight develop and go straight for gen even with 3x the pop of the defenders. This causes lame fights and people to log. Router exploits near the gen piss me off a lot as well.
Old 2011-08-23, 07:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by HawkEye View Post
The amount of thumper/plasma spam these days is absurd. During the good old days in PS when pop locks were normal, there was never as much spam as there is now. There is also a lot of plasma/Pshield/JH users these days Also, the amount of MAXes is out of hand.

My complaint about the gen killers is that they don't let the fight develop and go straight for gen even with 3x the pop of the defenders. This causes lame fights and people to log. Router exploits near the gen piss me off a lot as well.
That's my main problem with the game. Everyone is in a hurry to "Win" or capture a base. They don't take any time to let the fight play out.

But again as Firefly said, for some people that's their ultimate goal...Unfortunately.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-08-23, 07:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Avirau
Private

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Ah, so you're one of those that takes the gen out and moves on right away to the next base, which sometimes requires you wait until the previous base you just left to be under your empire's control. So while you are at the base your empire has no link to the hacked base gets saved by the enemy and you can't hack the base you went to anyways.
Umm, no, I never said anything of the sort. If I blow a gen, I hold the gen or the CC until the base is captured. Under no circumstances will I leave a base before it's captured. My entire outfit functions the same way. What you said doesn't even make sense; what's the point of just blowing gens and moving on without finishing the job? Might as well not fight at all. It's not like blowing gens is particularly fun. Taking a base is fun.

Last edited by Avirau; 2011-08-23 at 07:53 PM.
Old 2011-08-23, 08:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Graywolves
General

Terran Republic: Loyalty until Death!

I like faction pride alot, the game revolves around faction conquest, it only makes sense.
Old 2011-08-24, 12:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
HawkEye
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Avirau View Post
Umm, no, I never said anything of the sort. If I blow a gen, I hold the gen or the CC until the base is captured. Under no circumstances will I leave a base before it's captured. My entire outfit functions the same way. What you said doesn't even make sense; what's the point of just blowing gens and moving on without finishing the job? Might as well not fight at all. It's not like blowing gens is particularly fun. Taking a base is fun.

I have been a part of resecures of many bases this way. Xelas to Azeban on Amerish comes to mins here. The gen goes down, they put a hack on the base and then the vast majority of people move to the next base and hit the gen and/or tubes before they have a link. After we resecure and get the gen up and farm for a few minutes the gen goes back down.

What irks most people is that even though the attacking empire out numbers the defenders by a lot they go straight for the gen and don't even try to hack cc/get tubes.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion